Great finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great finishes

Since finishing games has seemed to be a constant theme this men's bb season, here's a question for those that know a little about Jack history: Will Sid Bostic's half-court shot to beat Wittenberg at the buzzer in 1963 ever be topped in SDSU annals? Is there video/audio of that shot any place?

A last-second nomination for FB: Dick Weikert(sp?) (a converted tailback) throwing a Hail Mary to beat UNI as time expired in the UNIquonsett 1976, thereby denying UNI a chance at the NCC title.

Re: Great finishes

Originally posted by jacksbacker View Post
    Is there video/audio of that shot any place?
    Yes. I've seen it many times. Hasn't it been played on the big screen at Frost during breaks in the action?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
      Yes. I've seen it many times. Hasn't it been played on the big screen at Frost during breaks in the action?
      Yes, I remember seeing it during the First Bank and Trust memorable moments in SDSU history.

Comment

Just got a feeling with this group, with all the adversity they have faced, that we're going to see a game-winner in the final half of this season... It just feels like this team is learning to deserve a win.

I'm too young to have seen the Bostic shot or remember seeing it replayed in Frost but saw Weikert's Hail Mary fb pass live and in living color... UNI announcer had already announced tickets were on sale for the next week's NCC championship game. Jacks knocked 'em out and won it on a miracle play; think (but not sure) Monte Mosiman - one of our more rugged multi-sport athletes - caught it. Monte cleared bb lanes like a middle linebacker clears crossing patterns.

That Jacks' fb team that year was a lot like this men's bb team, struggled early, but hung in there through some doubts and naysaying, had a lot of young talent (with just a smattering of senior leaders) that needed to come together. They were mighty, mighty dangerous by year's end...

Just a premonition but I think we're in for some endings that fall our way....

Comment

Originally posted by jacksbacker View Post
          Just got a feeling with this group, with all the adversity they have faced, that we're going to see a game-winner in the final half of this season... It just feels like this team is learning to deserve a win.

I'm too young to have seen the Bostic shot or remember seeing it replayed in Frost but saw Weikert's Hail Mary fb pass live and in living color... UNI announcer had already announced tickets were on sale for the next week's NCC championship game. Jacks knocked 'em out and won it on a miracle play; think (but not sure) Monte Mosiman - one of our more rugged multi-sport athletes - caught it. Monte cleared bb lanes like a middle linebacker clears crossing patterns.

That Jacks' fb team that year was a lot like this men's bb team, struggled early, but hung in there through some doubts and naysaying, had a lot of young talent (with just a smattering of senior leaders) that needed to come together. They were mighty, mighty dangerous by year's end...

Just a premonition but I think we're in for some endings that fall our way....

Wow, I been around a long time but was living in Dayton Ohio in 1976, so was not able to follow the Jacks very close. Long before internet D1, THIS MESSAGE BOARD, so my following was the Brookings Register and Ron Lenz's Rabbit Report. This is the first time this memorable moment has been brought up but no doubt a very vivid and permanent memory to the students and players of 1976.

I was a student when Sid Bostic did his magic, and the funny part about that 1963 team is that they struggled through the non conference, but had a good game against a rated Utah team in Salt Lake City. Once the NCC play started, the Jacks were unstoppable.

Can you imagine paying 50 cents to listen to a piped in radio signal from Evansville Indiana at Donor Auditoruim? I did that too, two nights in a row, first agains SIU and then Wittenberg.

I dont think we have seen all by any means. Its going to get better and yes I suspect we will see something similar to the big plays you have sited here. That big game winning play could happen this year.

Comment

Bet the technology was more dependable for your 50 cents than some of what we've seen so far this year!!

Comment

Working...
            X