Does this sound familiar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this sound familiar?

As much as it seems SDSU’s young basketball squad is making strides, it can’t seem to win two straight games.
    Despite building a 10-point lead early in the second half against Texas-San Antonio, the Jackrabbits bogged down the last 10 minutes.
    The 76-72 loss Monday evening at Frost Arena prevented SDSU from solidifying its road win Thursday at Eastern Washington.
    “The big problem was defense,” said junior Garrett Callahan, who led SDSU with 26 points. “I know especially in the second half we were up 10 early on and had a chance to close the door. They beat us to some loose balls.”
    The loss left SDSU 5-9 and also left some questions for coach Scott Nagy on why junior Kai Williams and sophomore Clint Sargent spent so much time on the bench in the second half.
    In this Kansas City Star story, I replaced:
    UMKC with SDSU
    Kangaroos with Jackrabbits
    Municipal Auditorium with Frost Arena
    senior Dane Brumagin with junior Garrett Callahan
    coach Matt Brown with coach Scott Nagy
    sophomore Reggie Hamilton with junior Kai Williams
    freshman Latreze Mushatt with sophomore Clint Sargent

Otherwise the song remains the same.

My point is that the struggles of SDSU's men's basketball team aren't especially unusual for teams in the bottom third of D-I.

I think everybody involved needs to just get over it. The players need to get over it and just go out and play. The coaches need to get over it, coach, and let the players play the game. The fans need to get over it and stop reaching for razor blades to slit their wrists (or pitchforks and torches to burn down the coaches and/or players houses) whenever the team lays an egg. We're all so darned wrapped up in how we think things SHOULD be that it's negatively affecting how things actually ARE. All the expectation crap is getting in the way, IMHO. It has ceased to be a motivator and is now an active drag--on players, coaches, fans, everybody.

If you want SDSU to move beyond the bottom third of D-I: get over it, go out, and enjoy the experience for what it is.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Does this sound familiar?

How true!

Comment

AMEN. Preach it, Filbert! Rep points given.

GBGBGJ
      An ardent supporter of the hometown team should go to a game prepared to take offense, no matter what happens.Robert Benchley
      US actor, author, & humorist (1889 - 1945)

Comment

This is along the lines of my thinking for some time now. But Filbert, you put it in much better words than I would have done.

Merry Christmas to everyone out there and enjoy following the Jackrabbits basketball program.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
        X