NDSU's Tim Miles offered UNC-Wilmington job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NDSU's Tim Miles offered UNC-Wilmington job

According to a thread on the Bison Message Board, the media (including WDAY TV in Fargo) has announced that NDSU's head coach, Tim Miles, has been offered the job at UNC-Wilmington.  Here's the thread:

http://www.bisonville.com/cgi-bin/ya...45418338/15#15

Re: NDSU's Tim Miles offered UNC-Wilmington job

This is going to get interesting.

Comment

News story in today's Wilmington StarNews confirming the job at Wilmington has been offered to Miles and stating Miles is undecided.

http://www.wilmingtonstar.com/apps/p...54/1005/SPORTS

Chicago State announced yesterday it is withdrawing from the Mid-Con Coference. Link to the Chicago Trib's online page:

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....orts-headlines

Comment

We have a thread started on the Chicago State news:

http://www.sdsufans.com/cgi-bin/yabb...num=1145505930

Go State!

Comment

I also heard Tim Miles is considering an assistant coaching job at another school. Can't remember which one, but will post it when my boss comes in. He's the one who heard that. The word on the street in the coaching circle is that Miles can't get out of NDSU fast enough.
          "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I heard the exact opposite about Miles in Fargo...he likes it...but, he's looking to move up and UNC-Wilmington is a move up.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
              I also heard Tim Miles is considering an assistant coaching job at another school.  Can't remember which one, but will post it when my boss comes in.  He's the one who heard that.  The word on the street in the coaching circle is that Miles can't get out of NDSU fast enough.

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!!

Comment

anyone remember former sdsu basketball player wade kooiman??? a california boy who played a couple games here back in the late 90's. he i guess is now the new head basketball coach at dakota state.

Comment

Originally posted by hoops_guy
                  [quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1145502059/0#4 date=1145540693]I also heard Tim Miles is considering an assistant coaching job at another school.  Can't remember which one, but will post it when my boss comes in.  He's the one who heard that.  The word on the street in the coaching circle is that Miles can't get out of NDSU fast enough.

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!![/quote]

Hey, just what I heard. My boss happens to be best friends with Bruce Pearl who is somewhat connected to the coaching scene. Also, my boss has a kid who's being recruited by D1 schools so he has his ear in the scene that way, too. He stopped in my office yesterday and said "You used to play N Dak State, right? Well, their coach can't get out of ND fast enough. He's looking hard at the UNC Wilm job and is also looking to do an assistant coaching job at a place where his former player is now a head coach." So, if I'm spreading rumors, I apologize. My boss is usually a pretty good source for college basketball info.
                  "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum
                    [quote author=hoops_guy link=1145502059/0#6 date=1145545102][quote author=MilwaukeeJacksAlum link=1145502059/0#4 date=1145540693]I also heard Tim Miles is considering an assistant coaching job at another school.  Can't remember which one, but will post it when my boss comes in.  He's the one who heard that.  The word on the street in the coaching circle is that Miles can't get out of NDSU fast enough.

ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE!!![/quote]

Hey, just what I heard.  My boss happens to be best friends with Bruce Pearl who is somewhat connected to the coaching scene.  Also, my boss has a kid who's being recruited by D1 schools so he has his ear in the scene that way, too.  He stopped in my office yesterday and said "You used to play N Dak State, right?  Well, their coach can't get out of ND fast enough.  He's looking hard at the UNC Wilm job and is also looking to do an assistant coaching job at a place where his former player is now a head coach."  So, if I'm spreading rumors, I apologize.  My boss is usually a pretty good source for college basketball info.[/quote]

Well it sounds like Miles turned down the offer to coach at UNCW and will stay at NDSU. Miles said it would take a great offer to get him to leave NDSU and it looks like this wasn't great enough. I know Miles likes it here at Fargo and NDSU so I highly doubt he is looking to leave NDSU(this job kind of came to him). As for the assitant job your boss is talking about Rich Glass who is rumored to be leaving UND to go to UNI to be an assistant for his former player Ben Jacobson.

Comment

NDSU, UNCW Schedule Press Conferences
                      April 20, 2006 11:51 AM CDT
                      Tim Miles, Head Coach NDST

APRIL 20, 2006 -- WECT Sports has learned that North Dakota State University has scheduled a press conference via email for 1:30 CST regarding the Tim Miles decision. UNCW has confirmed and will hold it's own press conference at 5:00 p.m. in the Golden Hawk room.

"North Dakota State University will conduct a news conference at 1:30 p.m. TODAY, April 20, in Room 103 of the Bison Sports Arena to announce the decision of head men's basketball coach Tim Miles."

The email was sent at 11:11 CST by Ryan Perreault, Assistant Director of Athletic Media Relations.

According to sources cited by The Forum sports reporter Jeff Kolpack, Miles has rejected the job and will opt to stay at NDSU.

North Dakota State A.D. Gene Taylor has confirmed that an offer to Tim Miles to become UNCW's next head basketball coach has been made. Mike Capaccio isn't saying anything, and his Associate A.D. Joe Browning would say only "that's news to me. As far as we're concerned the process is continuing to run it's course and when an announcement is ready to be made it will be."

NDSU seems willing to make the announcement for the Seahawks staff.

"It's a matter of if he decides to go or not," Taylor said.

When contacted by KVLY on Wednesday about accepting the position Miles would say only "I'll have a better answer for you in 24 hours."

WDAY also reported that Miles has been offered the head coaching position and is expected to make a decision within the next 24 hours. When asked if he was leaving to take over in Wilmington Miles indicated he had no travel plans.

According to The Forum newspaper in Fargo, workers set up an area for a news conference and sports information director Jeff Schwartz was put on alert for a possible media gathering.

All of this news comes a day after the search committee made a unanimous recommendation to Capaccio that Charlotte Assistant Benny Moss be given the position. Moss completed his interviews Tuesday and according to one member of the search committee was "head and shoulders above the other candidates."....
                      http://www.wect.com/Global/story.asp?S=4793288

Comment

Miles will announce at 1:30 PM today that he's turning down the UNC Wilmington job. Rich Glass is rumored to be heading to UNI. Miles would have made considerable more money at UNC Wilmington but wasn't comfortable with leaving NDSU. I'm sure that he'll have more opportunities down the road and UNC Wilmington compared to the NDSU job is a considerable step up. Still their former coach was only there a few years so that had to play a part in Coach Mile's decision to turn down the job. Apparently the current AD at UNC Wilmington can be difficult to work with.

Comment

Coach Miles may not want to be a school's 2nd choice. The UNCW website stated that a search committee recommended offering the position to an assistant from UNC-Charlotte. The AD and Miles are both grads of U of Mary. He may have only been offered the job because of the connection.

Comment

I think if Miles announces he's rejecting the UNC-Wilmington job, that's great news.

Comment

My apologies if I ruffled any feathers. Just reporting what I heard. I'm glad Miles is staying. It's good pub for NDSU and SDSU through osmosis.

Comment

Working...
                              X