Coach Boots shows respect

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Boots shows respect

Not sure if this is the right thread. Feel free to move it.

Today on the radio in SF, Dave Boots was asked about playing SDSU again. I will paraphrase, but this is pretty close:

"SDSU is the one who made the move first and went through the transition. I think they have earned the right to determine when and if those games are played again."

Re: Coach Boots shows respect

copy that to the million dollar game thread.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Good coach, great recruiter, and class act.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Interesting. I must admit I am shocked to hear this kind of remark. I personally feel this way myself, but for someone at USD to actually say it really surprises me.

It is nice to hear this because there is absolutely no doubt that USD is and will continue to benefit from the groundwork laid by SDSU as we have gone through this transition.
        The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

In another thread, filbert noted that NDSU's success in Men's basketball is the exception during transition while SDSU's Men's BB transition experience is more of what one could expect (he said it better than I just did). Coach Boots is no dummy and he knows the odds are that his team will have a lot of struggles just like those experienced by SDSU and many others in transition. So, he gives a gracious tip 'o the hat to the Jackrabbits.

Comment

Originally posted by jackwatcher View Post
            Not sure if this is the right thread. Feel free to move it.

Today on the radio in SF, Dave Boots was asked about playing SDSU again. I will paraphrase, but this is pretty close:

"SDSU is the one who made the move first and went through the transition. I think they have earned the right to determine when and if those games are played again."
            I listened to the same interview and jackwatcher summed it up pretty accurately. Every time Craig and John interview anyone associated with USD they ask the same old question, and Coach Boots didn't take the bait and answered the question with a ton of class. Now if we could stop members of this board from taking the bait...

Comment

He said it on a SF radio station. So, technically, it was a road comment. usd fans will argue he didn't really mean it.
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                He said it on a SF radio station. So, technically, it was a road comment. usd fans will argue he didn't really mean it.
                Please save it for the smack threads . . .
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I met Coach Boots several years ago and he truly impressed me as a sincere person. He was fund raising and I told him I was supporting my alma mater, SDSU. He thanked me and said he appreciated I was supporting my school and also a state school. I think he may be the exception at Udot compared to some of the other statements I hear from alumni and staff. Thanks to Coach Boots for being honest.

Comment

If Dave Boots can influence others at USD to have the same humble attitude he does the likely hood of playing them again will increase exponentially. I haven't seen or heard of much humility from others in charge down there so I recommended that anyone who wants to see this "rivalry" revisited temper their enthusiasm as it pertains to Coach Boot's statement.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      If Dave Boots can influence others at USD to have the same humble attitude he does the likely hood of playing them again will increase exponentially. I haven't seen or heard of much humility from others in charge down there so I recommended that anyone who wants to see this "rivalry" revisited temper their enthusiasm as it pertains to Coach Boot's statement.
                      I've said it before in the context of SDSU's play in D-I: Respect isn't given. It's earned. It applies every bit as much to USD as it does to SDSU. This statement will undoubtedly be interpreted by some as being an SDSU-arrogant attitude, but those who do really, really need to check which color glasses they're wearing, and try some clear, untinted lenses once in a while.

Division I has no particular reason to respect USD's (or SDSU's) athletic programs, until USD (or SDSU) earns that respect on the field/court/whatever. SDSU's women's basketball team has earned the respect they're getting by playing and beating some of the bigger names in women's basketball, and winning some 80-90% of their D-I games since the transition began. USD will have ample chance to prove themselves in the coming years.

Boots knows it's not an easy road. That's the first step in being successful--being realistic about where you are and where you're going.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I frequent this site and rarely post but this topic is of interest as it seems that in the near future this game would benefit both programs to the casual fan base in South Dakota. I know most of the posters here are the die-hard fans that have strong opinions about USD and the negativity that this game brings out, but there are a lot of us who have had strong connections to South Dakota sports in general that would love to see this game played without regard which school it benefits the most or least.

As a South Dakota kid who grew up watching SDSU and the other local colleges, it has been disappointing to see so many great, competitive games between the regional colleges disappearing. Obviously, it has been well-documented on here about the positives of the transition, all of which I agree with. I have always supported that move, but my roots have been SDSU vs. Northern, Augie, USD, etc and those games just aren't the reality anymore. I am assuming that I am not the only one in that boat from monitoring the attendances from game to game.

It is only an assumption but no matter where the game is played, it will probably the highest attended bsketball game by Jackrabbit fans since the transition. These are just ramblings of the casual Jacks fan...I will understand the backlash if any.

Comment

I too miss the State vs USD games. They were always the most exciting games of the year. I did my undergrad at State and postgraduate work at USD. However, our family colors are definitely blue and yellow. The only thing we use a coyote shirt for in our house is cleaning the toilet. From what I am told, we had wanted to play USD during the transition period, but they would have nothing to do with us. Now that they are making the leap we are suppose to help them out and schedule a game. I say let them struggle for a while and then eventually have them come to Frost. Coach Boots is a classy man but I won't be cheering for them any time soon.

Comment

Oh no! Are we going to have another thread discussing whether we should play USD?

I suggest we let this thread die. I think it's main subject has been discussed.

Comment

I second that! Let's focus on Fred's retirement & career rather than hashing out what's going to be different now that he won't be making the decisions.

Comment

Working...
                              X