International Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International Players

I had a chance to watch Denver TenBroek play with a semi-pro team from Australia against the Australian Institue of Sport team (same Institute that has produced Andrew Bogut and Luc Longely). Denver (former HS player from SD and also played for NDSU) had 26 points 15 Rebounds 6 assists. I have been wondering how the players from the Australian Institute of Sport would stack up against some well groomed players from the US. And after watching them play against Denver, there is about 4 players that would be relatively competitive playing on a US College Team (1 is already committed to University of Utah and a couple of others have potential signings with other teams). The question that I am posting is should SDSU start looking at recruiting some International players (potentially more from Canada, as they are doing now) hoping to find some good players that no one knows about. Or should they keep on trying to win the recruiting battle of players from the surrounding states.

Re: International Players

personally i'd like to see some 7' guys recruited to the team and make an impact. not too sure but i don't think nagy's offense really relies on the center to score much maybe im wrong. but i would like to see some tallllllllll guys on the team.

Comment

Nagy's teams from the past have used the Post quite extensively. I don't know if they still have the rule that the post must get a touch or not. A guy like Kurt Meister would be nice to have patroling the middle again.

Comment

Bluehatman,

Where have you been. A Nagy coached team always has focused on the post play. They have done this even when we have been undersized.

Comment

i guess 10 points a game average for a center isn't what i would call trusting your big man. kurt meister was our last true big man that we depended on heavily. since then the guards and small forwards have been our main scoring threats. true mo had some awesome games but the centers and power forwards haven't been our main scorers in the last few years. i love seeing a big man take it to the hole and slam it. we need some consistency in the low post. i dunno if nagy would agree on this but i think he knows there is some holes in the 4 and 5 spot.

Comment

Not to slam him (I enjoyed the 3 years he played) but if Ben would have made more of his shots this past year, he would have averaged upper teens if not 20 points a game(I'm betting on over 20 points). I'm using Ben as a center because with the lack of big guys this past year, he played that position a lot. Matt Jones when healthy was a good 'go-to' guy in the low post.  Same could be said for Bill Fischer and Josh C. (not going to try to spell his last name at this point).  I agree we need to have a low-post player who scores consistently in the middle to upper teens so other teams can't focus on outside shooters.  Look at some of the teams we played this past year and they had the big guys out shooting 3s on us so you can't just have big guys down low.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

if you look into past years where we have had success. nagy had a couple big guys in the front line averaging over 12 a game look at the years we had cerveny, fischer, meister, vollmer and jones playing the 4 or 5 spot then add in a solid group of 1-3 players. we need to go back to that way in order to have a chance to enjoy the success we had in prior nagy years. i can't judge bilitz and engen yet cuz i have yet to see them one on one with a big man from another team but i am hoping they will add 25 pounds or so over the summer and be a force on the inside.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                if you look into past years where we have had success. nagy had a couple big guys in the front line averaging over 12 a game look at the years we had cerveny, fischer, meister, vollmer and jones playing the 4 or 5 spot then add in a solid group of 1-3 players.  we need to go back to that way in order to have a chance to enjoy the success we had in prior nagy years.  i can't judge bilitz and engen yet cuz i have yet to see them one on one with a big man from another team but i am hoping they will add 25 pounds or so over the summer and be a force on the inside.
                Usually only guys who use the Barry Bonds workout regime put on 25 pounds over the summer. Tall skinny guys like these 2 should shoot 10-15 pounds of solid weight (not fat, but muscle) over the summer. Realistically, that would be asking alot. For example, I ate like a pig, took creatine, protein shakes, whatever and lifted weights for 5 years straight and put on 40 pounds in those 5 years. It's much harder than most realize to put on actual muscle unless you're gifted with good genes or you use some of those mexican beans Bonds used.
                "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
                X