The season through 10 games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The season through 10 games

I took a look at the stats through 10 games this year, vs. the season stats last year:

Last year, 8-21, .380
    This year, 4-6, .400

Points per game
    Last year, 65.7 SDSU, 71.0 opponents, -5.3 per game
    This year, 68.7 SDSU, 69.3 opponents, -0.6 per game (improvement of 4.7 ppg)

Assists and turnovers
    Last year, 352/459, .767 a/to ratio
    This year, 124/139, .892 a/to ratio (improvement of 0.125 a/to ratio)

Shooting
    Last year, .436 SDSU, .453 opponents (-0.017)
    This year, .413 SDSU, .457 opponents (-0.044)

Rebounds per game
    Last year, .34.8 SDSU, 31.9 opponents (+2.9 per game)
    This year, 36.5 SDSU, 34.9 opponents (+1.6 per game)

Steals for/against
    Last year, 127 SDSU, 205 opponents, .619 ratio
    This year, 63 SDSU, 75 opponents, .840 ratio (improvement of .221)

Fouls
    Last year, 600 in 29 games, 20.7 per game
    This year, 204 in 10 games, 20.4 per game

Free throw shooting
    Last year, .706
    This year, .681

The team has improved vs. last year in points scored, game scoring margin, assist/turnover ratio and steal ratio.

Shooting (both percentage, and difference in percentage between SDSU and opponents) and rebounding have both fallen back a bit vs. last year, as has scoring defense by a tad, and free throw percentage. Fouls are on pretty much the same pace too.

For what it's worth . . .
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: The season through 10 games

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    I took a look at the stats through 10 games this year, vs. the season stats last year:

Last year, 8-21, .286
    This year, 4-6, .400
    Filbert, I fixed it for you.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
      Filbert, I fixed it for you.
      Oops. Thanks.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Guys, no offence but two of our wins this year are not against Div I teams and really should not be counted. They dont in any RPI calculation.

Comment

Nice work. That must've taken some time. We are going to blow last years steals number out of the water this year. That tells me our defense is much improved this year.

Rep pts.
          "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
            Guys, no offence but two of our wins this year are not against Div I teams and really should not be counted. They dont in any RPI calculation.

NDSU has played as many as 4 Non-D-I schools in a season as recently as '06-'07. Last year they played 2 Non-D-I schools and a first year transitional in North Carolina Central University.

A win is a win and this year's team is better then last year's in my opinion from what I have seen.

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
              I did say "for what it's worth" at the end of the initial post, after all.

If you want to be pristine about it, you're more than welcome to pull those two games out of this year, and then pull out the Mary game from last year's stats too, if you think that will make the comparison more meaningful.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                I did say "for what it's worth" at the end of the initial post, after all.

If you want to be pristine about it, you're more than welcome to pull those two games out of this year, and then pull out the Mary game from last year's stats too, if you think that will make the comparison more meaningful.
                I think it gives us a good comparison and also reinforces what many here are saying: Our men's team is slightly better this year. We aren't a ton better, but we are showing improvement and I expect this to continue.

It's going to take time as we aren't going to be great overnight. We are headed in the right direction. We have to have a little patience. We all know Rome wasn't built in a day.

Comment

It's also early in the season. Ideally the stats will improve as the year goes along.

Comment

You have to remember there is only 1 scholarship senior and he was a walk-on for the first 4 years.... The one thing I have been happy with this years team to the past is they don't roll over when they got down early (they need to win a few of them but we haven't had a 30 plus loss like we have in the past)... We got down early to Drake, VCU and Minnesota but didn't roll over....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      You have to remember there is only 1 scholarship senior and he was a walk-on for the first 4 years.... The one thing I have been happy with this years team to the past is they don't roll over when they got down early (they need to win a few of them but we haven't had a 30 plus loss like we have in the past)... We got down early to Drake, VCU and Minnesota but didn't roll over....
                      Agree. The guys are rediscovering their heart this year. Once they get it into their heads that they belong on the court vs. their opponents, then they'll be OK. They've got similar talent to most teams in the Summit League--if a couple of our guys get hot at the same time, we could challenge one of the league leaders on any given night.

It's all about want-to. (I listened to Roy Williams down here at Kansas for too long, perhaps, but he's right--a team with want-to will beat a team that doesn't want it as bad.)

If a little of the women's team's magic rubs off on the guys, there's no telling how the rest of the season could play out.

Worst case: They don't win another game, wind up 4-26 and sitting home for the Summit League Tournament in Sioux Falls. Given the talent that this team has, that result is extremely unlikely.

Best case: They could wind up winning all 20 remaining regular season games, finish 24-6 and barrel into the conference tournament on essentially home turf on a huge tide of momentum. Also extremely unlikely, but isn't it nice to dream about for a while?

Chances are that they'll be somewhere between. But there are 10 games in the books, and 20 games to play, 16 in the conference. I'd be satisfied and happy with 15-15 overall (meaning 11-9 the rest of the season), 9-9 conference (8-8 the rest of the year), and a decent showing in the Sioux Falls conference tournament, perhaps even sneaking into the championship game, if the offense really comes around at last. And once they're in the championship game, it only takes one more game . . .

Given the overall strength of the Summit League, 15-15 and 9-9 is, I think, an achievable goal for this team. It will take some improvement on both the offensive and defensive sides of the ball, but trust me, having seen almost all of the Summit League teams on their home courts last year, the SDSU team this year does indeed have the talent to compete in the league. Do they have Coach Roy Williams' "want-to?" I don't know. Last year's team didn't. This year's team might. It still remains to be seen. It's a long, long season.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Sorry Filbert, I didn't mean it as a slight re: your work, just a general comment about the value of those two wins. I, like everyone here truly appreciate your efforts.

Comment

Something just tells me these guys are going to get things turned around and we will see some major improvement during the conference season. In my eyes they have improved but it hasn't come together in complete games. I was really impressed with a lot of the things that happened in the Minnesota game. It was a horrible start to the game and they could have folded up the tent but they came back with a vengeance. It didn't end up as a win but they had to gain confidence that they can play with quality teams.

After well documented years of struggle, they have to be excited that if they play well it will get them into the Summit League Championship in Sioux Falls. It's got to be a huge motivator. Getting there has to be the goal. Obviously, if you can be hot for three games you could go to the big dance. You never know! It is a "home game" for the most part.

This team has the ability to turn the corner. My gut tells me they are going to find it within themselves to do it.

GB, GB, GJ!

SUPERBUNNY
                          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

The team has several talented guys, which bodes well for next year, but in the meantime the lack of depth at the 4 and 5 positions is extremely difficult to overcome. The limited inside game puts more pressure and defensive attention on the outside shooters. Anthony Cordova is good and is having a heck of a season, but he's always guarding guys guys a couple of inches taller. I fear that getting into the post-season conference tourney will be nip and tuck.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                              The team has several talented guys, which bodes well for next year, but in the meantime the lack of depth at the 4 and 5 positions is extremely difficult to overcome. The limited inside game puts more pressure and defensive attention on the outside shooters. Anthony Cordova is good and is having a heck of a season, but he's always guarding guys guys a couple of inches taller. I fear that getting into the post-season conference tourney will be nip and tuck.

Several talented guys........who??????????????????? Let's face the facts, the team from the late 90's would beat these guys by 20+ every single night

Comment

Working...
                              X