Argus Editorial on Nagy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Argus Editorial on Nagy

I couldn't find an online version of Stu Whitney's editorial to link. He lays out what has been discussed for some time. That even though Nagy may have had unfortunate circumstances that put the men's program in this hole, that there will need to be a coaching change after this season. Unless they can turn it around this year.

As much as we all like to get riled up by his articles, he had good points and was respectful towards Nagy's ability and it's hard to deny the situation. I'm not sure it has to happen after this year, but it may take a coaching change to regain the momentum of the program and stay attractive for recruits and even current players.

Re: Argus Editorial on Nagy

I do understand the arguments for a coaching change, but I still stand firm in my belief that this type of change should not be made until after next season. With Kai and Garrett being seniors next season I think that that will be the best measuring stick for how this program can do under Nagy in the next 5 years. I don't think this season will necessarily provide that measurement.

I may be crazy, but I think that if this team doesn't improve this year and greatly improve next year, I don't think that Nagy would be in disagreement with anyone that thought that it may be time for him to move on to the next challenge. But I do not think that this same judgement can be made after, much less during this season.
    The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99 View Post
      I couldn't find an online version of Stu Whitney's editorial to link. He lays out what has been discussed for some time. That even though Nagy may have had unfortunate circumstances that put the men's program in this hole, that there will need to be a coaching change after this season. Unless they can turn it around this year.

As much as we all like to get riled up by his articles, he had good points and was respectful towards Nagy's ability and it's hard to deny the situation. I'm not sure it has to happen after this year, but it may take a coaching change to regain the momentum of the program and stay attractive for recruits and even current players.
      I have to agree 99. I thought Stu did a nice job of laying out both sides of the arguement and made his points well.

I personally come down on the side that Nagy should have one more year but if things don't improve by the end of this year some good hard looks should be taken to not waste Kai and Garret's senior year.
      "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
      -Leo Rosten

Comment

Coach Nagy deserves a pass through next season. But if he can't give fans reason for encouragement by the end of this season and produce a winning team next year with all of the returning players he'll have back, it probably will be time for a new coach. Fans can't hold the transition, alone, against Nagy. The school has scrimped on resources, including funding for assistant coaches. Meanwhile, the team has suffered off-court misfortune, much of which was beyond the control of a coaching staff of any size. As I've said before, recruiting to a nice but small, cold-weather college town in the Northern Plains can't be easy. Nagy has proven in the past that he can do that. Cut him some slack awhile longer.
        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
          I have to agree 99. I thought Stu did a nice job of laying out both sides of the arguement and made his points well.

I personally come down on the side that Nagy should have one more year but if things don't improve by the end of this year some good hard looks should be taken to not waste Kai and Garret's senior year.
          ONE MORE YEAR??????????????????????? There won't be anyone in the stands to watch Kai and Garrett.

Comment

Seriously. How many "one more years" can this program survive? Next year some of the ostriches will find another reason that he deserves one more year. This could go on for an eternity because "he's a good guy with unfortunate circumstances" and "players X and Y deserve to play their eligibility up with Nagy". Bunch of crap. If anyone truly believes Nagy can turn this program around I've got a home that has actually appreciated 50% in this crappy ecomony that I'd like to sell you.

Oh, and someone please reference Matt Jones in defending the downturn of the MBB program. Ialwayslovethatone.
            Last edited by CatchEmAll; 11-27-2008, 07:47 PM. Reason: Matt Jones corollary.
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Here is the link:

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...S0104/81127003

Its not my decision to make, so my comment really does not matter one way or the other. If that makes me an ostrich, point me to the sand. .

Comment

Who's out there that's better than Nagy and would be willing to accept a relatively low-paying, one-year coaching contract to turn around a once proud, now struggling program in a cold-weather area? That might be harder than recruiting and retaining good players.
                This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                  Coach Nagy deserves a pass through next season. But if he can't give fans reason for encouragement by the end of this season and produce a winning team next year with all of the returning players he'll have back, it probably will be time for a new coach. Fans can't hold the transition, alone, against Nagy. The school has scrimped on resources, including funding for assistant coaches. Meanwhile, the team has suffered off-court misfortune, much of which was beyond the control of a coaching staff of any size. As I've said before, recruiting to a nice but small, cold-weather college town in the Northern Plains can't be easy. Nagy has proven in the past that he can do that. Cut him some slack awhile longer.
                  I think the time is quickly approaching! I don't see currently starters, players on the bench or incoming recruits that are going to take us to the next level. Or at least a marked improvement. As far as recruiting one question needs to be answered. Why have other teams VB, Xcountry, soccer, football, golf and not to mention WBB been able to recruit players to the same cold weather, small town? I can't beleive Coach Nagy is happy either? Sometimes it just TIME! I suspect the administration is being very patient with all the coach's that stuck out the tough transition years.

GBGBGJ

Comment

Originally posted by Chains View Post
                    I suspect the administration is being very patient with all the coach's that stuck out the tough transition years.
                    I'd have to say you are right on there.

Comment

Wow one of Stu's better written editorials. I found it hard to really disagree with anything he wrote. Put me on the side of feeling Nagy will and should get another year. Not much has gone right in the transition up to this point and I think this will be another long year. I also don't think the two incoming freshman from Madison are going to be capable nor should they be expected to help turn the program around in one year. I think we have failed miserably in recruiting from year to year by not adding the right complimentary talent to the pieces we have. I don't have any inside knowledge, but my gut tells me we are just not getting out to see enough players and most likely not broadening our recruiting geography enough. We are not getting the best of the best in the region and I just don't know if that next caliber of player is going to help us win Summit League Championships. I do think the Berte/Gilbert scenario has hurt our recruiting more than people want to admit. I'm not convinced talent from outside the region can't be recruited to Brookings. The quick fix would be to bring in some Juco Players to add some immediate experienced depth. I'm tired of seeing us competing for kids that are fringe DII players.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        Who's out there that's better than Nagy and would be willing to accept a relatively low-paying, one-year coaching contract to turn around a once proud, now struggling program in a cold-weather area? That might be harder than recruiting and retaining good players.
                        I've posted on this thought before, and I'll say it again. If the administration EVER takes this point of view that will be when I call for them to be fired. You are saying that the SDSU job is such a bad position that no one that is possibly better would even consider it, so be satisfied with what you have. That thinking came out of USD when SDSU announced the move to D1. It was not, and hopefully never will be, the thinking at SDSU.

For whatever reason, the men's basketball program is not working. I can't tell you what Coach Nagy has done wrong, but I can tell you it hasn't fixed the program. That is what needs to be done. If the rest of this year does not show that significant progress is being made (and that is not solely based on the number of wins), then the question of whether the Nagy program is salvageable needs to be answered. If Dr. Oien and the others involved think it is, then I suspect Coach Nagy will be back.

How many people can honestly say that they didn't think of this when they read the post from Mr. Wolters about wanting to wait until after the basketball season to make a decision on the scholarship offer? It may not have been the actual issue (and I have no idea if it was actually Mr. Wolters who wrote the post), but you had to think that it might have been? Can the program be as successful at recruiting another year if the recruits hear that his status is still unsettled?

As for Kai & Garrett (or any other athlete), I think it would be insulting to say to them that we really don't think the coach we have is doing the job, but since you are only hear one more year we aren't going to do anything. Isn't that admitting to them that we are willing to waste their senior year? Their last year at having a chance to make March Madness or whatever post-season the individual athlete has a chance to compete in.

And as I try to end every post on this topic, I hope that Coach Nagy is successful in getting it turned around this year and that he coaches the Jacks for the next 20 years. He still knows the Xs & Os of basketball. He hasn't forgotten that stuff. He has had bad breaks, but he had some of those when we were D2 and he never would let them be used as an excuse.

Bottom line, the program isn't working.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I guess I'm in the camp of giving him one more year, assuming this year is moves forward in the right direction. Given that Nagy has to recruit a higher level player, all the turnover etc. He may need that extra year.

I proud of the SDSU AD keeping coaches the way they do. I think in any college sport a coach deserves at least 5 years to recruit and develop "His" players. I could name quite a few situations where frequent coaching changes has put elite programs in state of limbo.

That said, I think if they made a move at this point, I and most others would understand.

If SDSU is attractive to a coach at this point, would they be High profile enough to instantly bring in top recruits? If not they would essentially be slowly building wins over the next 5 years to get those players, unless they could get the current players to play to a much higher level than they are now. So if Nagy does gain momentum this year and the next he would be much further along.

Hopefully if the team is aware of this article it spurs them to play at their highest level. If not.....

Comment

Well we hope that Nagy gets another year, regardless if he does or does not Kai will be finishing his 4th year at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                              Seriously. How many "one more years" can this program survive? Next year some of the ostriches will find another reason that he deserves one more year. This could go on for an eternity because "he's a good guy with unfortunate circumstances" and "players X and Y deserve to play their eligibility up with Nagy". Bunch of crap. If anyone truly believes Nagy can turn this program around I've got a home that has actually appreciated 50% in this crappy ecomony that I'd like to sell you.

Oh, and someone please reference Matt Jones in defending the downturn of the MBB program. Ialwayslovethatone.
                              I'm not speaking for everyone, but I have not repeatedly said "one more year". Ever since Kai and Garrett were freshman I have said that by the time they were seniors is the first time we will be able to truly evaluate this program on the Division I level.

For me, next year has always been my target to make a judgement about the Division I move in men's basketball and the coaching staff.
                              The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
                              X