Are we better than NDSU this year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we better than NDSU this year?

And how did Williams do for Canada at the under 18 Fiba qualification tournament?

Re: Are we better than NDSU this year?

Originally posted by rabbit_boy
    And how did Williams do for Canada at the under 18 Fiba qualification tournament?

Welcome to the board rabbit_boy, thanks for posting. As far as your questions go, I say to early to say and I don't know.

Go State!

Comment

I think we'll split with NDSU again this year. We should be more competitve in Fargo this year and will have more talent and experience, but they have a solid nucleus of young talent that will also be more experienced this upcoming season. We should be able to win the game in Brookings due to the home-court edge, improved players, and Miles' perpetual Frost-bite affliction (despite an Elite 8 trip and a win at Wisconson, he's never won at Frost).

Comment

Hi to all and can Coach get the boys to pick up the intensity on D this year?

Comment

We will probably have to wait until Midnight Madness before we will know for sure. Who knows if the court case involving Mo will be done by then and if he will be available to play. No matter what the result with the court case, Andre won't be playing here this fall. I will hope the intensity on D will be better this year but I'll wait to comment until Midnight Madness so I can see what we are going to be playing with.
          Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

I'll wait until the team has played two or three games against real competition, not a scrimmage in October, before I can judge if this team will play with improved imtensity on D this season.

Comment

I also think that midnite madness is probably not the best judge of how a team will do. For proof of that, go to posts made after last years scrimmage.

One major key to success will be keeping players on the floor (from academics, quitting, injury, etc.) for depth. Who will actually be on the floor come next season remains to be seen.

Someone will also have to step up to provide a 2nd and 3rd scoring option, or Caddy will be getting whole-team teamed by the 3rd game. We've lost 2-4 studs (depending on your point of view) and need someone to fill that gap.

As for whether we are better than NDSU, a split in the head-to-head is about the best I hope for. If I was an NDSU fan, I would probably be expecting a sweep of our team.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

You look at the schools that recruited Williams; Richmond, E Kentucky, Rice, etc and you have to think we got a steal.

Comment

Once again, make a simple comment and people take it to an extreme. My comment about waiting until Midnight Madness to see what we have for a team was meant as I haven't seen any of the new players yet so I can't say now what kind of talent they have. I have to start reading my posts 4-5 times now just to make sure no one can read too far into them.
                  Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

williams wasn't really a steal. we had good connections to him. cam hornby played with this kid and i think williams liked playing with cam. we kind of had a leg above the other schools that offered him rides.

Comment

Originally posted by bub94
                      Once again, make a simple comment and people take it to an extreme.  My comment about waiting until Midnight Madness to see what we have for a team was meant as I haven't seen any of the new players yet so I can't say now what kind of talent they have.  I have to start reading my posts 4-5 times now just to make sure no one can read too far into them.  
                      I feel your pain. I think Midnightmadness will certainly be a clue, the first of the season. Seems like we have only the expert knowledge on this board to work with until Madness night.

Comment

I'm just hoping we'll be better overall than last year. Actually, I'm cautiously optimistic that we'll be better overall than last year. I am not sure that the team that we put on the court for Midnight Madness will be as good as the team last year, but I'm hopeful that the upside potential for future growth and development will be as good or even better.

Obviously 2005-06 for SDSU was the definition of a nightmare season for a college basketball team. That we did as well as we did is a credit to the coaches and players and everyone associated with Jackrabbit basketball. New players, new excitement, and hopefully a new conference home will help re-energize and re-establish Jackrabbit Basketball in 2006-07 as we work towards Big Dance eligibility in 2008-09.

Time will tell.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Here is what we know:

We lost 2 good, if not great players in Holdren and Beran from a team that really struggled at times last year.
                          Late in the season we lost 2 frontcourt players and had to fill the roster with FB guys. Think about that.

What do we have:

Cadwell is solid and will be the backcourt leader.
                          Loney has experience, work ethic, and wants to do well every time he is on the court, he will be the frontcourt leader.
                          The rest of the guys from last year will probably see their role change with the newcomers to the court.

Newcomers:
                          Engen and Bilitz, I'm not close enough to the squad right now to know if both or either are ready for DI ball. Obviously they enter into the frontcourt. My understanding is Bassett and the JC transfer will also be expected to contribute. Cordova will redshirt. Kia will be solid as a 3 guy (as I understand it).

The guards: Hornby, Callahan and Hoogeveen. Will we be asking Casey, Kleinjan, and Frias with Hornby to be the rest of the backcourt or will Callahan join them? I think Hoogeveen will RS.

Its way to early to tell what this team will be like. I'm not even sure who will be in a uniform for the opening tip so its way to early to say how good or bad this team will be. Based on the last couple of seasons I am going to remain realistic and hope we can establish a good foundation for the years to come.

I must admit that I don't care if we're better or worse than NDSU this year. I want the focus to be on competing in whatever conference we join in the near future, thats it.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Can Horby play though? I watched a couple of practises and frankly wasnt to impressed.

And IMHO NDSU sucks.

Comment

Forgot to ask, will any of the recruits be on campus this summer?

Comment

Working...
                              X