Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Drake Game Thread

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
    listened to most of the game.... It just seemed like the Jacks couldn't get a run started, they would get it down to 7 and either turn it over or Drake would hit a 3..... Seemed that Sargent and Callahan are really liking the new offense... Kai had a pretty big game also, and I heard Cassaday's name a lot....
    Watching the game on Mediacomm with the homer Drake announcer, getting a run going was much less of a problem then getting defensive stops. Even the homer Drake guy got that part right. He did apparently did not know SDSU was in the Summit and said we were independant.

The offense was good enough to win, but when you are outmatched on the other end get no stops, you dont win.
    Kai was on WNAX after the game, and the guys know what they have to do to win. So let's all keep our chins up here as we are long ways away from March.

Comment

Two important stats:
      Drake was 23-25 at the free throw line and the Jacks were 5-10
      The other stat was Jacks with 16 turnovers and Drake had nine.

The free throw disparity wasn't because of the officiating but more of Drake being the aggressor and also being in a zone. The Jacks had trouble getting stops and ended up fouling a lot because of it. 23-25 is impressive.

The Jacks hung around with some decent shooting,but i would of liked to have seen them attack that zone more. Garrett tried somewhat, but we ended up lobbing the ball around the perimeter and settling for a lot of outside shots.

Garrett had some turnovers,but played pretty well. Kai was active,and got some good fg's and rebounds. I think Clint only attempted one or two shots in the first half. He can't wait until the second half to get involved in the offense. Our point guard play continues to disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        Two important stats:

The free throw disparity wasn't because of the officiating but more of Drake being the aggressor and also being in a zone. The Jacks had trouble getting stops and ended up fouling a lot because of it. 23-25 is impressive.

The Jacks hung around with some decent shooting,but i would of liked to have seen them attack that zone more. Garrett tried somewhat, but we ended up lobbing the ball around the perimeter and settling for a lot of outside shots.

Garrett had some turnovers,but played pretty well. Kai was active,and got some good fg's and rebounds. I think Clint only attempted one or two shots in the first half. He can't wait until the second half to get involved in the offense. Our point guard play continues to disappoint.
        Excellent summary. Still a lot of major gaps in this teams play. Time will tell.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
          Two important stats:

Thanks jackspower, I forgot the turnover difference and the Drake guy doing the game made a big point of this stat. Some of the turnovers were real dumb ones, so we got a ways to go in that area too. Plus too many fouls.

Drake apparently was aware of Clint's 20 pt performance at Virginia and they were apparently trying to not give him any opportunities. So in his defense he was covered by Drake better than by VCU. Possibly. Did not see even highlights of the VCU game.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 11-24-2008, 10:12 PM.

Comment

We have a great shooting day and get beat by 10. Looks like defense, rebounding & turnovers are the areas we need improvement in.

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
              We have a great shooting day and get beat by 10. Looks like defense, rebounding & turnovers are the areas we need improvement in.
              I'd be questioning the free throw difference. Drake made more than twice the amount SDSU even shot.
              Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                I'd be questioning the free throw difference. Drake made more than twice the amount SDSU even shot.

I watched quite a bit of the game on television, and I thought the refs did a pretty good job. Drake, was way more aggressive.
                LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

They were more agressive and Drake played a zone defense...that was likely the biggest factors.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Watching the game on Mediacomm with the homer Drake announcer, getting a run going was much less of a problem then getting defensive stops. Even the homer Drake guy got that part right. He did apparently did not know SDSU was in the Summit and said we were independant.

The offense was good enough to win, but when you are outmatched on the other end get no stops, you dont win.
                    Kai was on WNAX after the game, and the guys know what they have to do to win. So let's all keep our chins up here as we are long ways away from March.
                    I taped the game(because I was at the women's game) and watched it later that night. I thought he said that we were in the Missouri Conference until 10:18 left in the game(I think). It was somewhere around there that he finally said that we were in the Summit.
                    He kept saying that Drake wasn't putting SDSU away. He said that Clint and Garrett were dangerous from 3 point land and if they both got hot, look out. He said that those 2 guys average 40 some or 50 some points/game. I don't remember what the exact number was but it was about 2/3 the teams points.

Game observations-
                    1) SDSU was down 12-2 in turnovers at the half. In the 2nd half, the won the TO battle 4-5. I think that was a big reason they were down by 10 at the half. Drake also got 13 steals to SDSU's 2.
                    2) Kai had an average game. He was 6-13 from the floor but at least 4 of those baskets were layups/dunks. You take those out and he was 2-9 from the floor. He was a beast in rebounding(8 boards against bigger guys). He also played solid defense on a guy that was taller(like usual).
                    3) Casey and Michael had a below average game. Michael did better between the 2. They were both 1-3 from the floor but Michael had 5 assists to 3 turnovers. Casey had 4 turnovers to his 1 assist.

Comment

Working...
                    X