Jackrabbit men return 4 starters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackrabbit men return 4 starters

New TV article for today. Hit the recommend button.

Jackrabbit men return 4 starters
    Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • November 14, 2008

BROOKINGS - Even after losing 83 games over the past four seasons, South Dakota State men's basketball coach Scott Nagy is averaging almost 19 wins a year during his tenure. However, none of the 16 players on his roster have won more than 10 games in a season since coming to Brookings.
    Statistically, SDSU wasn't that far off last year, holding second-half leads in 16 of 21 losses. If the veteran core can find a way to flip even half of those results against a more difficult schedule, then maybe the Jacks - playing just 50 miles from home - will be one of the scariest teams in the Summit League tournament. And if not, the program's winning tradition will slip deeper into the past.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...0202/811140326
    I think a lot of us forget how many games we were very close to winning last year. It might take a few games this season to get some of the new help up to speed in game situations, but I'm hoping we see a confident team that has made some strides (and I believe we will, I had my optimistic coffee this morning , maybe a few others should have some as well).

Re: Jackrabbit men return 4 starters

I agree totally State Fan. But again, that was the one disconcerting thing for me about the exhibition game. SDSU was in a close game at the wire and didn't find a way to win it. Hopefully that will change as the games get meaningful.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by eqguy View Post
      I agree totally State Fan. But again, that was the one disconcerting thing for me about the exhibition game. SDSU was in a close game at the wire and didn't find a way to win it. Hopefully that will change as the games get meaningful.
      I'll admit, I was disapointed about the same issue. But one major plus that killed us last year that we did much better in the one exhibition was ball security, we only had 8 TO's. We averaged 16 last year. Against Mary last season we had 23 (this was the first game of the season last year, for perspective).

I'm not trying to put lipstick on a pig (no political pun intended), just going after some positives. If we have just made that improvement on TO's alone from last season, we will be in a much better spot to win some games. Hopefully we can pull it together, otherwise it will be another long season.

We lost against SWMS because we got out rebounded and couldn't shoot. The rebounding can be corrected (somewhat anyway with more hustle, etc.), our poor shooting was from poor shot selection (we went 1-14 on 3's, if we can't hit them, then we shouldn't try so many).

I say let them play some more games, then I'll become more of a realist.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
        I say let them play some more games, then I'll become more of a realist.

I was all set to write a nice long post saying basically the same thing. You saved me the time and I'm in the same camp. Let's see what this car can do before sending it to the junkyard.
        "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

I hope and trust that everyone understands that you can't assume anything based on the loss to SWMS. You can use information from previous seasons to raise some suspicions but you can't assume anything. You have to play the games. What do we know? We have 4 returning starters from a team that won 8 games last year, some in very close fashion and lost more than 20 games, some in a very close fashion. We've lost some very good players and added some guys with potential. The more experienced guys we've added back aren't as proven as the guys we lost. Those are facts. What do those facts mean and what will it translate to on the court? We'll find out and I'll be there in person to see my favorite team compete as much as possible.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I won't be in Brookings, but will be all over WNAX signal for the beginning of this season tonight. I'm hopefull, while realizing that there are going to be some struggles for this team. Nonetheless, I'm excited for this year's team to get the process started.

Let's Go Rabbits!
            The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Working...
            X