• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Locker rooms

I am surprised that no one had posted this yet:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...29/1002/sports

New facilities part of men's hoops makeover

Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • September 16, 2008

Efforts to rebuild the South Dakota State men's basketball program are becoming literal.

The Jackrabbits, who have struggled since moving to the NCAA Division I level in 2004, will get an upgraded locker room plus a new meeting room and lounge within existing space at the Stanley J. Marshall HPER Center.

The project costs $315,000 and will be paid for through university support fees, a fund the school can use with some discretion, according to SDSU physical plant director Dean Kattelmann. The athletic department will raise additional money to cover fixtures, furnishings and equipment.

Construction began Monday and could be complete by Christmas. . . . (read more)

Good stuff!

Go State!

Re: New Locker rooms

Good. The men's BB team could use better facilities and a show of support. ... Did the outside steps on Frost get rebuilt too?
    This space for lease.

Comment

In the process, come up for some volleyball action to check out the changes around Frost Arena. Southwest Corner is coming along well, the student's will have an entrance in the corner so that is nice. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow.

Comment

Any way to get pictures when the work is done?
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
          Good. The men's BB team could use better facilities and a show of support. ... Did the outside steps on Frost get rebuilt too?
          I'll try to snap a picture one of these days. The steps have become quite the large project. It'll be much different than before.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I do like the new look to the stairs.
            Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

This is a facebook pic so some of you might see a red x. This is what they have done in the southwest corner. They are forming up the stairs in order to pour concrete. And yes the entrance ways are covered.

Comment

Thanks for the update on the staircase, guys. The new steps will be a significant improvement, physically and image-wise, for Frost and the university campus. The closed-off, crumbling staircase was hickish looking as well as a safety hazard.
                This space for lease.

Comment

I haven't been up to Brookings in a while but it sure is nice to hear about some of the upgrades. Thanks for the picture. The improvements are sure to benefit everyone from current students to potential student athletes.

Comment

If I'm not mistaken this has been in the works for quite a while, but because of Title IX concerns they didn't dare do this until the women's locker room was upgraded along with the wellness center construction.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

It will be mid January before they are complete I think. All good improvements for a better SDSU for the future athletes to come.

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
                        It will be mid January before they are complete I think. All good improvements for a better SDSU for the future athletes to come.

Whats happening until they are complete?

I mean, the lockerrooms are going to be in construction while the players use them, or are there other lockerrooms they can use?
                        "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

Originally posted by RowdyRabbit View Post
                          Whats happening until they are complete?

I mean, the lockerrooms are going to be in construction while the players use them, or are there other lockerrooms they can use?
                          I believe they keep using the locker room they have been in . They are remodeling one of the others.

Comment

Thought I'd give this thread a bump. The new men's locker room is now complete and they are putting the finishing touches on the furnishings on the inside. Couches, TVs, other furniture, etc. still need to be fundraised for. The same goes for the locker and team rooms for volleyball, women's basketball & swimming/diving.

You can check out the progress of all the projects here. I'm guessing photos of the M&W's locker rooms will be going up shortly after they get them furnished.

I know it is said a lot on here but if you really want to directly impact the SDSU athletic department, this would be a great cause to donate to.

Comment

Here's an article from Terry about the new locker rooms and the atmoshphere in Frost Arena last Sat. night as well:

SDSU men feel warmth of Frost frenzy
                              Jackrabbits hope to ride momentum from first Summit League win streak
                              Terry Vandrovec • January 13, 2009

The South Dakota State men's basketball team has moved into its new digs (a locker room and team room) at Frost Arena, even though much of the finishing work is ongoing. As of Saturday night, several framed pictures - some depicting large crowds from the past - were stacked on a countertop.

Coincidentally, fans were a hot topic inside the new space following a 20-point win over Indiana-Purdue-Indianapolis, which marked the Jackrabbits' first conference win streak in their 24th game as members of the Summit League.

"Yeah, we won," SDSU junior guard Garrett Callahan said. "But seeing the fans there and everyone having a good time, that means the most to us."

(read more)

Comment

Working...
                              X