Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mario Brandon

Originally posted by jackmd
    [quote author=jackrabbit1979 link=1162620237/0#13 date=1162998297]That's just great... >

Yeah, not really.

Disappointed doesn't begin to describe the way I feel about the men's basketball program since the tansition to DI.[/quote]

I think we all share your frustration but I am optimistic that things will turn around for this team. The Mid-Con affiliation means more for the Men's B-Ball team than any other on campus hands down. Everything becomes easier because of it. Recruiting, scheduling, and getting the fans back into it.

The transition is also hardest to make in this sport!

I have no clue what happened with Mario other than hearing it is a family situation. That is all we need to know and we need to keep him in our thoughts!

The thing that gets me down is the number of unlucky/unfortunate things that have happened in the last few years. They are well documented. It will turn around and things will improve.!

That's what I believe anyway!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

I've spent the previous 10 minutes typing and then deleting.

All I can say is...
      GOSH DARN

Comment

Re: Roster Pics are up

Mario Brandon is not on the roster.

Comment

Since Mario never appeared in an SDSU uniform, I don't think his departure will really have much effect on this year's team--other than freeing up a scholarship for next year.

Still, I wish him luck and success wherever he does go.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Re: Roster Pics are up

There is a little blurb in the print version of the Argus today that Coach Nagy said Mario was not coming back. He is gone. I am surprised no one has posted this piece.

Comment

I hope Nagy thinks hard about recruiting JUCO's for awhile here, we haven't had very good luck since moving D-I, and I doubt we will in the near future as most D-I quality JUCO's will be headed toward a higher D-I school, since they are almost a sure bet talent wise, and if they qualify academically. So far for JUCO's we have had:

Landon Scott- Never played a game
              Jose Frias- Back up guard. I'll admit he's improved, but last season him and Andre combined were a turnover factory.
              Brandon- Never played a game
              Berte- Lost after one season

For our investment in 8 years combined playing time from these players, we have gotten 3, with only one (Jose Frias) making it through two years. I would rather take a chance on a high school player, even one that doesn't seem talented enough, but has some heart.

Also, I don't know the reason that all of these players left, so I'm not assigning blame to anybody, I'm just saying we aren't getting a good return on investment going the JUCO route.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert
                Since Mario never appeared in an SDSU uniform, I don't think his departure will really have much effect on this year's team--other than freeing up a scholarship for next year.

Still, I wish him luck and success wherever he does go.
                I'm not sure how you can say Mario's departure will not effect this years team. This team sorely needs some experience in the paint more than they need another scholarship. I'm sensitive to all these guys issues for leaving the program, but at the end of the day they did not live up to their committment to SDSU and someone else was passed who might have been able to help. I feel more compassion for the players who are left on the team shorthanded every night than I do for those who are no longer with the team. I know recruiting and trying to figure out what young people are going to do is anything but a perfect science, however we need to do more to insure there is a high probability that these players will pan out!

Comment

Brandon did suit up and play for midnight madness and he practiced a couple weeks or so. He seemed to be a personable guy. His size and experience probably would have been a big help to this year's young and smallish team. His departure, even if for a good reason, is yet another frustration in a series of annual frustrations. Fans cannot be blamed for venting a little. Nagy cannot be accused of leaning too heavily on Jucos or transfers either. Occasionally, a team needs those kind of players to fill gaps. This team needed one or two. Once again, hopes for the men's basketball team are getting pushed further into the future. Sigh.
                  This space for lease.

Comment

While it seems likely that SDSU's Men's team could have benefited from having another player with some size this season, it is not to be and is not the end of the world.  With that said, is it just me or are some of the fans writing this team off before they have tipped off the first game (that counts) of the season.  Yes we will be young and a bit undersized but I say give the Rabbits a chance to play some games before judgment is passed.

Taking a longer term look, I think SuperBunny has it about right  .  .  .  

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY
                    I think we all share your frustration but I am optimistic that things will turn around for this team.  The Mid-Con affiliation means more for the Men's B-Ball team than any other on campus hands down.  Everything becomes easier because of it.  Recruiting, scheduling, and getting the fans back into it.

The transition is also hardest to make in this sport!

I have no clue what happened with Mario other than hearing it is a family situation.  That is all we need to know and we need to keep him in our thoughts!

The thing that gets me down is the number of unlucky/unfortunate things that have happened in the last few years.  They are well documented.  It will turn around and things will improve.!

That's what I believe anyway!

SUPERBUNNY
                    Most would agree this team is more talented then the last few.  Now that we are in the Mid-Con I expect that trend to continue.  As a matter of fact, we had two pretty good signings today.  The program is getting better, and in a couple of years when we are eligible for the NCAA post season (think about this for a second) it should consist of a SR. Matt Cadwell, Jr. Kia Williams, Jr. Garrett Callahan, Jr. Cam Hornby, Jr. Thomas Basset, Jr. Mark Engen, Jr. Bob Bilitz, Jr. Blake Yackley,  So. Anthony Cordova, and So. Ryan Hoogeveen with lots of playing exp.  Could be a really good team and a good time to have a really good team. Wouldn't it be fun to have a very seasoned team just when we have our first shot at the Big Dance? :-? 8-)

Go State!  

Comment

I have not written the Jacks off by any means. It helped to be in the stands for the exhibition games, otherwise I might have a different opinion or a dimer view of the program. We do have talent and more depth, more so than any previous season of transition. The fact we can not deny is that we are relying heavily on true Freshman. Mario no doubt sounds like some one who could have an immediate impact. The true freshman and red shirts we have are going to progress. We just need to play some games.

Comment

Working...
                      X