Season Outlook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Season Outlook

With the start of the Men's basketball season only six days away with Midnight Minus Two and the first game is a little over a month away, what is everyone's thoughts on this year's team. We will be young, but more talented than last year. Hopefully we can avoid the injuries and off the court problems we had last season. I think it is very realistic to think this team will come together and consistly improve as the season progresses and get 15 wins. That will help spring board the program into the Mid-Con for the 2007-08 season.
    Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Re: Season Outlook

Nagy mentioned that he expects 3 true freshman to contribute a lot of minutes this year. I suppose thats Williams, Bassett and Callahan. He said it wasn't ideal but he felt it would be the best thing for the future of the program. Only 20 practices before the first "exhibition" game. Nagy expects some early season struggles and I agree. Young players, not familiar with one another. Cadwell, Loney and Kleinjan really need to show some leadership on and off the court. I hope Frias and Casey have improved in the off-season and I hope I am suprised by the tall, skinny RS-Fr. I won't speculate on this teams record this year, I just hope they can improve on a game-by-game basis.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbitinunicntry
      With the start of the Men's basketball season only six days away with Midnight Minus Two and the first game is a little over a month away, what is everyone's thoughts on this year's team.  We will be young, but more talented than last year.  Hopefully we can avoid the injuries and off the court problems we had last season.  I think it is very realistic to think this team will come together and consistly improve as the season progresses and get 15 wins.  That will help spring board the program into the Mid-Con for the 2007-08 season.  
      Midnight Madness Minus Two Presented by Aramark Micah would not forgive you if he saw how you forgot to mention the guys that are giving a lot of good stuff away tonight. It's gonna be a fun time. Help to see some of you there. Don't bother yelling down in front at me cuz I won't be listening :P

Comment

Here is a season preview story from the Argus:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...31/1002/SPORTS

Young Jacks hope to leave past behind
        SDSU roster heavy on freshmen for '06-07

By Terry Vandrovec
        tvandrovec@argusleader.com
        PUBLISHED: November 10, 2006

The South Dakota State men's basketball team has more freshmen (seven) than sophomores, juniors and seniors combined (six). So in a sense, it's almost as if last year didn't happen.

All that more than half the active roster cares about is that since they've become eligible, the Jacks have gotten into the Mid-Continent Conference (effective next season), signed a contract with Nike (also effective next year) and gotten commitments from more promising young players - some barely old enough to drive.

Yes, the hope is that the program is going back to the future. After all, last season marked only the third time since 1950 that SDSU won fewer than 10 games and yet 12th-year head coach Scott Nagy is still averaging 21 wins per season in Brookings. . . .

Comment

As long as we are talking about season outlook, I think 15 wins is achievable. 10-13 is more realistic, IMO.

In my mind, we have solid leadership on this team with Cadwell, Frias, Kleinjan, Mac, and Loney. With Cadwell, Mac and Loney returning next year, leadership is something that will be back next season.

The thing that excites me most about this team is potential. Williams and Bassett have looked very good so far. Yackley has shown some potential. I think this season will be a learning experience for Engen. Hornby has shown potential too. If Callahan is as good as advertised it is that much better. That is 6 talented freshman who should be here for at least 4 years. 8-)

I know we've just played exhibitions, but we seem to be getting a handle on turnovers. Assists are up from last year, so far. These are two key statistics. Rebounding could use some work, but I see that as an ongoing issue considering the lack of size. Coach Nagy has always been able to get maximum effort on rebounding, so I am confident the guys will progress in that area.

Perimeter "D" also could use improvement, but I think that is something that will come. One thing I noticed on that front is that we seem to be creating TO's on the perimeter this year, whereas last season the only TO's we got were given to us.

It is disappointing to me that Bilitz is not eligible. I guess it is what it is. It would be extremely helpful to have another big man so Williams could play more 3.

All in all, I am genuinely excited about this team, especially in the next 2-3 years.
          “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

It sounds like Hoogeveen isn't around because of a bad back.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan
              I know we've just played exhibitions, but we seem to be getting a handle on turnovers.  Assists are up from last year, so far.  These are two key statistics.  Rebounding could use some work, but I see that as an ongoing issue considering the lack of size.  Coach Nagy has always been able to get maximum effort on rebounding, so I am confident the guys will progress in that area.

Perimeter "D" also could use improvement, but I think that is something that will come.  One thing I noticed on that front is that we seem to be creating TO's on the perimeter this year, whereas last season the only TO's we got were given to us.
              So much for the turnovers improving. All excellent points. It seems that this team will have to play its best game each night to have a chance at winning and thats hard to do. Heck, even if they play their best game there are a lot of teams on the schedule that would still beat them.

I want to see maximal effort each game and a desire to improve. Wins will have to be secondary to effort and dedication. Now, can I provide the same as a fan? I'll try.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

I like how Nagy set goals not related to wins this year and that should trickle down and help the fans expectations.

However, if they don't get many W's, at what point does this begin to drag the team down? If they are getting 4 or 5 out of 10 at the end with the UBC that should be enough to carry forward into next year, but if not???

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks99
                  I like how Nagy set goals not related to wins this year and that should trickle down and help the fans expectations.

However, if they don't get many W's, at what point does this begin to drag the team down?  If they are getting 4 or 5 out of 10 at the end with the UBC that should be enough to carry forward into next year, but if not???
                  Nagy has voiced some concerns about just that. He seems a little worried about guys losing faith when it comes to the "big picture". Its hard to play on a team that isn't what you had hoped and not get frustrated. We just aren't use to losing at SDSU and I hope we never get use to it.

Comment

Prominent example of the big picture:

Rutgers FB in 2002: 1-11
                    Rutgers FB in 2006 (so far): 9-0 and #7 in this week's AP poll of I-A schools

Imagine being a freshman at Rutgers in 2002 and seeing the school you committed to be an embarassment in the Big East. These men are seniors this fall (assuming they redshirted in '02); they are three games away from a perfect season and a BCS bowl game..

The Jacks could follow a similar trajectory if we follow the big picture.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd
                      [quote author=Jacks99 link=1160248995/0#7 date=1163434967]I like how Nagy set goals not related to wins this year and that should trickle down and help the fans expectations.

However, if they don't get many W's, at what point does this begin to drag the team down? If they are getting 4 or 5 out of 10 at the end with the UBC that should be enough to carry forward into next year, but if not???
                      Nagy has voiced some concerns about just that. He seems a little worried about guys losing faith when it comes to the "big picture". Its hard to play on a team that isn't what you had hoped and not get frustrated. We just aren't use to losing at SDSU and I hope we never get use to it.[/quote]

Nagy's already hammering the "stay together, stay positive, and it'll work out" theme. I think that's good advice for the team as well as we fans. He's also pointing at the football team this year as an example of the good things that happen when you do manage to stay together through the tough times.

Stay Together. Stay Positive. Stay Jackrabbits!
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                      X