Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Elite Camp

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
    Maybe I'm off base WRJ, but I wonder if you didn't see the Jacks' men working out, as I know they are all on campus and working out. Could be that the player who stuffed Kai was our new 6-9 JC recruit? My understanding is that all (including incoming recruits) men and women BB players are now on campus and working out.
    I'm not really certain what I saw #1. But I can assure you that with three courts filled with games going on that we don't have that big of a team. The schedule on the wall said it was Kai's team vs. Andy's team and they were both there, only Kai was playing guard part of the time and coaching part of the time. I never noticed Andy playing. When Kai played, he generally didn't drive and shoot very often. Most of the time he hung back and dished the ball to his team mates. But it still might have been our new 6'9" recruit, or more hopefully, our next 6'9" recruit.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...36/1002/SPORTS

Camps bring talent straight to SDSU

More than 100 athletes partake in hoops event

Terry Vandrovec • tvandrovec@argusleader.com • June 12, 2008

BROOKINGS - The inaugural South Dakota State men's basketball elite camp lived up to its name.

More than 100 high school players, including about a dozen with Division I potential, came from seven states to participate in the two-day event that concluded Tuesday. Although NCAA rules prohibit him from discussing individuals, Jackrabbits coach Scott Nagy called it by far the best collection he's seen at an SDSU camp in his 13-plus years at the school.

All that talent right there on his campus, working under his direction. No wonder the elite camp model recently has become popular almost to the point of being compulsory at the Division I level. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post
        I'm not really certain what I saw #1. But I can assure you that with three courts filled with games going on that we don't have that big of a team. The schedule on the wall said it was Kai's team vs. Andy's team and they were both there, only Kai was playing guard part of the time and coaching part of the time. I never noticed Andy playing. When Kai played, he generally didn't drive and shoot very often. Most of the time he hung back and dished the ball to his team mates. But it still might have been our new 6'9" recruit, or more hopefully, our next 6'9" recruit.
        WRJ...my postulation was wrong indeed. I believe you saw 6'9" Marcus Heemstra of Rock Rapids maybe playing on Andy's team, since Kai was playing at times. I, with you, hope he might be our next 6'9" recruit!! The Argus story referred to above, lends credence to all that.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
          On the issue of recruiting players, I was wondering about SDSU hosting an AAU tourney. I know the Schoolers have a tourney in Sioux Falls. But I was wondering if SDSU would be interested in hosting an AAU tourney like that just to get some of these kids onto campus that may not get another chance to look at SDSU.

I know the University of Minnesota does something like this. I'm not sure about all of the NCAA rules and coaches having contact with players, but just getting more kids onto the campus and exposed to SDSU at early age can only be a good thing. It would also help in the development of basketball in the area for boys and girls.

Just a thought.
          The AAU tournaments are great, but the competition for getting elite teams to travel to your tournament is getting tougher. Living in Kearney, Nebraska, I've had a chance to watch the Schoolers compete for a number of years during an early July tournament at UNK. However, this year they are not traveling this way.

Doug Koster who is hosting his 17th tournament in Kearney also coordinates the Mr. Basketball Dakota Showcase in Sioux Falls. He has routinely attracted top teams from SD, MN, WS, IA, MO, KS, CO, NE, and TX to these events.

It has also proved to be a boon to UNK. Their coaches have had success getting top talent from these tournaments to play for the Lopers. With this talent, they have risen to become an elite Div II program. The players can get comfortable with this community and university which is located a long way from anywhere. The players also witness first hand the outstanding facilities. Kearney and Brookings are very similar and I can see benefits if SDSU could host a tourney.

For more information on the Mr. Basketball tourneys check out this web site: http://www.misterbasketball.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
            WRJ...my postulation was wrong indeed. I believe you saw 6'9" Marcus Heemstra of Rock Rapids maybe playing on Andy's team, since Kai was playing at times. I, with you, hope he might be our next 6'9" recruit!! The Argus story referred to above, lends credence to all that.
            I sure hope we can land Heemstra, the coaches have been watching him since his freshman year. The coaching staff tends to think he has a lot of upside potential. If we could somehow get him to verbal here, I think his impact could be tremendous.

Comment

Elite Camps are relatively new to the summer scene. NCAA DI Schools can't selectively limit the athletes who attend the camp (eg. can't say this is who gets in) and have to open it up to everyone but they can dictate how many attend the "elite camp". SDSU's numbers in comparison to Kansas.....26 athletes at Kansas....only 8 they really cared about vs. 100 at SDSU...not sure how many they wanted there.

It's a way around the NCAA rules and NO SDSU isn't behind but every DI school seems to have an "Elite" camp now....if you were a top 100 athlete you'd know because every school would give you the date of their camp.

In attendance this year:

Tony Fiegen - Word is that he was the best of the best of the camp. Put on quite a performance. Seems to play well when White is not playing...needs to learn to crank it up in conjunction with White...still think that SDSU got a HUGE steal with White and Fiegen.

Chad White - Sat out most of camp...knee is not 100% and won't be until he sits a few months and rehabs....don't let it scare anyone the kid is a stud and will be fine in time.

Michael Felt - Solid performance . . . shot it well all week. SDSU is in the picture and he is considering strongly

Marcus Hemestra - getting better all the time....SDSU would love to land him.

Jared Bartling - Late bloomer....would be a solid 4 man for the Jacks

Derek Brown - great shooter with promise

oh and good news for 2011 on the horizon for SDSU......... stay tuned

Comment

Did Roosevelt's Adol Aluong attend the camp? How is Dustin Tetzlaff playing this summer?

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev View Post
                  oh and good news for 2011 on the horizon for SDSU......... stay tuned
                  That's a definite tease Cadsev but I'm sure the news will be worth the wait!

Comment

Working...
                  X