We're warming up on free throws.

Cadwell hits both
      65-62

Comment

Re: Montana State

WE WON. THEY MISSED A THREE and the put back

THE FINAL SDSU 65, MSU 62

Back-to-back wins.

Filbert's predictions turning true...second half of the season will be encouraging.

MSU has only three wins for the season and in many respects have had similar struggles but tonight they were unbelievable from three-point range.

Comment

Anyone hear the attendance?

Comment

Yes yes yes. It wasn't pretty but a W is a W! Way to go Jacks it is nice going into the break with a win! 8-)

Go State!

Comment

Attendance 2,021. Not bad at all for a game during the Christmas break, and with how badly this team has struggled. Those two thousand are the true believers in SDSU men's basketball.

Imagine what kind of attendance we'd have if we got close to .500?
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Comment

!!!! Nagy, post-game...sounds happy!! Good to hear.

Comment

Nagy:
                    Our last eight games, we're 4-4, we were talking about playing better basketball around Christmastime. We're playing pretty efficient basketball.

Jose just got it in his brain that he can't hit free throws--he's not a great free throw shooter but he's better than that. It's a shame I had to take him out because he's been playing well.

they really, really shot it well. We didn't play well the last six minutes of the first half, the game should have been tied. I told our guys it's a false sense of security for those guys. We could never get the lead and pull away, but they just scrapped and scrapped. It makes for a really good Christmas for our players and coaches.

Thomas was big here, had a really great effort, great defensively. Had they not shot well from three--this was as good as we've played defensively all year. Thomas gave a great effort.

Kai was in foul trouble all night--we know as long as he's going to be here he's going to break through. I was really unhappy with Garrett--I really got after him at halftime, and he responded.

You could tell tonight, Matt was saying 'give me the ball, give me the ball'. He felt like he could get what he wanted tonight.

Idaho only has one win, and that was here--we don't want them to have two wins. I think we're playing with a bit more confidence now.

We're hopeful that Andy may be back by the Idaho game. Mike may be back by Central Florida but I'm guessing by Butler.

I'm real pleased with our crowd tonight, the crowd was into the game and was great. I didn't think we'd have that many people tonight--they were great and really helped our team win tonight.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Just got back from the game. I'm very encouraged by the effort I witnessed tonight. They played tough for 40 minutes and gutted out a win despite the short bench. Kai Williams was terrific. Nagy has said he's efficient. I guess he is. 17 points in 24 minutes. Williams was more aggressive than in an early season game I saw. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch in the coming years. In Cadwell, Williams, Callahan, Yackley (who had a tough night tonight) and Bassett, Nagy has a nice core of players to build around in the next two or three years. There will be some fun games in the second half of this season, too.

Nice crowd, too, considering the absence of the students.
                      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I wish I could have been htere. Had to work, but was able to listen. My tickets are always used by someone when I am not able to make it. Merry Christmas jacks and fans. May we come back after the break happy and healthy.

Comment

Very nerve racking game. I think it was because we all know how big the W's are for the team morale.

As Nagy said, there was a lull at the end of the half. Jacks played zone all night and did very well. Some threes were open, but a few of their guys were light's out until the 2nd half.

The FT's were frustrating. Nagy actually said he had to take out Frias because we was too agressive and if he gets a foul it's basically a turnover at that point. That aside I am very impressed with Frias, a lot of good descisions.

Kai is getting his confidence. I get the feeling we are only see the start of what he can do. Yackley did have a tough night missed an early shot that took his confidence. With Kai out, he had a tough task down low with the big guys.

Good crowd, really miss the students, but Blue Hat did his best. The crowd was really loud the last minute.

I can really sense the teamwork and attitude this year that wasn't their last year. Given the circumstances these guys are playing tall. It was wierd to watch layups as it showed how few guys we have.

Great way to end the first half and send the team home to their families.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                            Just got back from the game. I'm very encouraged by the effort I witnessed tonight. They played tough for 40 minutes and gutted out a win despite the short bench. Kai Williams was terrific. Nagy has said he's efficient. I guess he is. 17 points in 24 minutes. Williams was more aggressive than in an early season game I saw. He's going to be a lot of fun to watch in the coming years. In Cadwell, Williams, Callahan, Yackley (who had a tough night tonight) and Bassett, Nagy has a nice core of players to build around in the next two or three years. There will be some fun games in the second half of this season, too.

Nice crowd, too, considering the absence of the students.
                            I'll echo what Jimmy said, great effort by the guys tonight.  I was waiting all game for them to just put it away.  If we shoot 75% on free throws and defend the 3 better we win by 15 easy.

Alot of encouraging play by the freshman.  Bassett was an animal on the boards.  Williams has the potential to be a really special player; very athletic, nice touch, nice poise, looks like he could be a silent leader type for this team in the future.  Callahan had a rough first half, but hit some really big shots in the second half and I was impressed with him as well.  Yackley again showed some flashes, but just doesn't seem to assert himself too much yet, nothing some more experience won't help with.

Overall, we just seemed so much more confident and at ease on the court tonight than the last time I saw us play. Had some nice ball movement and more flow on offense and I think only had 9 turnovers in the game.  Hopefully they can continue to improve and work up a decent record after the break.

Nice win Rabbits!

Comment

From the official Montana State U athletic website:

Bobcats Fall to Jackrabbits
                              MSU Bobcats Men's Basketball News : 2006-12-22 : Brookings, SD
                              By MSU Sports Information

Montana State lete a second half lead slip away in a loss at South Dakota State on Friday

South Dakota State used an incessant parade to the free throw line and a sloppy Bobcat offense to hold off Montana State 65-62 in Brookings on Friday.

The home-standing Jackrabbits shot 19 free throws more than MSU, an advantage that off-set hot Bobcat three-point shooting, but Montana State coach Brad Huse singled out his team's ball-handling as a deciding factor in the contest.
                              http://www.msubobcats.com/news.php?sid=mbb&nid=1792

Comment

Here's the story and link from SDSU's official website:

Jacks start a winning streak with win over Montana State
                                BROOKINGS, S.D. – South Dakota State kicked off the holiday break in style Friday night, and kicked off its first win streak of the season in the process, with a 65-62 win over Montana State in front of 2,021 Frost Arena faithful.

The Bobcats came out hot from beyond the arc in the first half, going 9-of-13 from three-point range, (69.2 percent) compared to the Jackrabbits 0-for-6 effort.

Despite that difference, the Jacks hung tough, stuck to their game and after seven first half lead changes and three ties, went into the locker room down only six points. Danny Piepoli hit a three-pointer just before the buzzer to give the Bobcats a 36-30 halftime lead.
                                http://www3.sdstate.edu/Athletics/Va...cfm?Id=46,5603

Comment

Working...
                                X