Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Bassett

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
    Yes, Louie is a "big-man". I completely forgot.
    A mind is a terrible thing to waste...GET TO CLASS.

Go Jacks!!
    What is that even suppose to mean?

Comment

Originally posted by tlk23 View Post
      What is that even suppose to mean?

Big time player maybe. There's still time for him to change his mind like Jill Young did.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack B. Nimble View Post
        The Great Louie for one.

Also the highest scorer in MN choose to go to Augie
        Schilling from MN and Iverson who went to the Gophers.

You would hope that the flagship university in the state could get more then 2 (Moss, Kleinjan) of the past 15 or so top men's players in the state over the last 15 years.

Comment

You would hope that the flagship university in the state could get more then 2 (Moss, Kleinjan) of the past 15 or so top men's players in the state over the last 15 years.
          15 might be a stretch

Comment

Here is the list:

http://playeroftheyear.gatorade.com/...&search=search

Comment

I have a perfect solution to all the problems with the men's basketball team.

1)The coaches should evaluate all the current players.

2)Any player who the coaches think would not get significant playing time, score at least 10 points per game, or get at least 6 rebounds per game gets cut.

3)Since we now only have about 4 players, we have a whole bunch of scholarships to give out. The coaching staff is now free to sign about 8 highly talented, highly recruited, intelligent players by convincing them that coming to a team like ours with 4 returning players and a history of cutting scholarship players is a better choice than NDSU, UNI, Wyoming, IUPUI, or any other DI program.

Folks, for cryin' out loud, once you start taking away scholarships, YOU WILL NOT GET TALENTED PLAYERS TO COME INTO THE PROGRAM, much less talented players who can perform in the classroom.

For a little perspective, in 2001 during the middle of the "DII Glory Days" the SDSU men's team went 22-7. We had 3 players who averaged over 10 points per game, just like last season. SDSU players Chris Stoebner (8 ppg), Andy Cone (7.8 ppg), Cody Volmer (6.4ppg), and Andy Moeller (6.0 ppg) were a few of the top reserves.

The players we have now are putting up similar numbers and doing it against a higher level of competition. Look at Ben Beran, a great player at SDSU. He was freshman of the year in the mighty NCC in the glorious days of DII. In DI competition he was a little more than above average when you compare him to the entire field of DI basketball players.
              “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Schilling is not a D-I player. If he was then he would be playing at a D-I school. I don't consider him or Louie having D-I talent. Iverson has ties to USD and I don't think SDSU really had much of a chance with him. Then the opprotunity with a Big Ten school came along. SDSU is not in a position to get very many recruits over Big Ten schools.

With regard to the last 15 years, SDSU has only been D-I for 4 of those years. D-I talented players want to play for D-I schools. Therefore most of those players went onto D-I programs and since SDSU was a D-II school really had no shot at getting them into our program.

I also want to comment about the idea of cutting scholarship players. The APR, which was released yesterday, is calculated based upon grades, and players not graduating. Losing a player like Bassett will lower the APR for SDSU. That is not a good thing. So the thought of cutting additional players on the squad will only lead to future scholarship restrictions and potential post-season sanctions. So the idea of cutting players makes no sense. It does show those that support such actions as clueless to the whole NCAA process and ramifications of such actions.

Go State!!!
                Go Jacks!!!
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

What about changing coaches? Maybe the players would then stay.

Comment

Originally posted by rabbit_boy View Post
                    What about changing coaches? Maybe the players would then stay.
                    Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                      If you have a lot of time to kill, go to pages 17 - 21 of this thread and look back at some of the comments and possible rosters from a couple of years ago. It is amazing the number of players that are no longer with the program due to a number of reasons.

I think that is one of the reasons we had to recruit a player like Thomas. Did anyone really think that a 6'5" power forward from a small town in Iowa was going to provide any real impact? (Actually, some people did) But we needed bodies, and I thought Thomas did the best he could in the situation he was in. I wish him well, and really hope he can go find a program and school where he can enjoy the game again. I do not think he has had much fun on the court.
                      Isn't that the description of the 2 kids from Madison?

Comment

Originally posted by Just in the crowd View Post
                        Isn't that the description of the 2 kids from Madison?
                        Both players from Madison have skills to play on the perimeter as well.
                        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Fiegen and White are 6'7" and 6'6", and as has been stated several times before, they will play at the #2 and/or #3 spot. They are not inside players.

Comment

Typical of someone who has a poor argument, tlk23 and JBN seem to change the scope of their argument everytime someone points out the inadequacies of their statements. Cut all players who aren't starting and averaging 20 points? Have that notion shot down for the idiot statement that it is so change the subject to recruiting and a weak comparison between the mens and womens basketball programs. Bring up two non-D1 athletes as players we lost out on as examples. Have that notion shot down as dumb so change to "it's all the coaches fault and it's time to get a new coach". Next thing you'll probably suggest is we should do away with the federal gas tax during the summer months like that may actually save anyone some money.
                            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                              Schilling is not a D-I player. If he was then he would be playing at a D-I school. I don't consider him or Louie having D-I talent. Iverson has ties to USD and I don't think SDSU really had much of a chance with him. Then the opprotunity with a Big Ten school came along. SDSU is not in a position to get very many recruits over Big Ten schools.

With regard to the last 15 years, SDSU has only been D-I for 4 of those years. D-I talented players want to play for D-I schools. Therefore most of those players went onto D-I programs and since SDSU was a D-II school really had no shot at getting them into our program.

I also want to comment about the idea of cutting scholarship players. The APR, which was released yesterday, is calculated based upon grades, and players not graduating. Losing a player like Bassett will lower the APR for SDSU. That is not a good thing. So the thought of cutting additional players on the squad will only lead to future scholarship restrictions and potential post-season sanctions. So the idea of cutting players makes no sense. It does show those that support such actions as clueless to the whole NCAA process and ramifications of such actions.

Go State!!!
                              Go Jacks!!!
                              I agree with everything you said except that Schilling is not a DI player. He chose not to play DI and there is a big difference. If he had made it known he was interested in playing DI Basketball he would have had opportunities at several schools including SDSU. I would venture to say you have never seen him play.

Comment

Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.
                                Ding Ding Ding. We have a couple of losers also. Anyone who just joined a fan board in March of the current year and pretends to have all the answers for the basketball program is in reality, uninformed. And thats a fact.

Comment

Working...
                                X