Ben Beran

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ben Beran

Juco's aren't really the answer. The first year is spent learning and you get one good year and I have been here long enough to have seen Chris White and CerCe Mahone play. I hope we are not that desperate. I know Fort Hayes did it with Juco's but that is not usually the norm. The good programs won't take them.

Comment

That is crazy...programs at the Div. I level in all sports and catagories bring in Juco's and have great success with them.  Alot of it has to do with where they come from and what kind of system they are already playing in.  As a coach you would be insane to not look at times for a Juco.

Especially when you need to bring experience, leadership and position players in.  Just because they went the Junior College route does not always mean they couldnt make it academically.  Some of these students are very bright and more mature (non-traditional), which can help alot during hard fought games.  Why do you think that colleges go after juco's to fill speciality positions in football, pitchers, hitters and infielders in baseball or guards and big men in basketball?  Because they already have game playing experience and because of age, are very adaptable.

Comment

pitchers and hitters go to Juco's because they can be drafted after each of their freshman and sophomore years in college. baseball is like football, if you go to a four year school, you can only be drafted after your junior year. a lot of juco's in basketball are either late developer's or kids who are not eligilble right away for d-1.

Comment

True, Hell, baseball players can be drafted in high school., ... but not the only reason for the Juco route...alot of athletes, especially in the western half of the US go to Juco's because of their programs and the connections they have with four year schools. They go to develop their games (play competitively from their first year on), as well as academics. Lets not forget the military folk as well, many of them go the Juco route after their tours are up because a tremendous amount of Junior Colleges are very close to military bases and they have already been taking courses from them, they are learning to go back into a school environment or already have started a family.

Comment

Working...
          X