• Show
Clear All

• Argus Leader Story

Should Jacks be optimistic?
    Nagy 'pleased' with 5-16 campaign

By Terry Vandrovec
    tvandrovec@argusleader.com
    Published: February 1, 2007
    In the two seasons prior to this one, the South Dakota State men's basketball team lost twice as many games as it won. That's part of the reason why it's been so tough to retain players, said Jackrabbits coach Scott Nagy.

The current club needs to win five of its last nine games to avoid losing more and winning less than it did last season - the program's worst in 20 years. And yet Nagy appears pleased, saying that the Jacks (5-16) have "overachieved."

Why is it that three years into the school's NCAA Division I transition, losing is viewed as somehow more productive?

"Some people say it can hurt your confidence if you can't win close games," Nagy said. "But if you look at the teams we're playing and the talent level they have - I'm talking size and athletic ability - the fact that we're competing in these games, I'm super-pleased with our kids. If you put it on paper, there are a lot of games we shouldn't even be in."

SDSU is thin (11 players), short (one taller than 6-foot-6), inexperienced (five freshmen) and, as Nagy said, competitive within its schedule. That schedule is ranked 251st most difficult out of 336 but devoid of any of the four non-Division I games permitted by the NCAA.

In 10 of their 16 losses, the Jacks were within one basket in the second half. They were within a bucket in the final two minutes, 30 seconds in half of those games, most recently missing two close-range shots in the final seconds of a 57-56 home loss to Middle Tennessee State. . . . (read more)

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...36/1002/SPORTS

Re: Argus Leader Story

Folks should really go read the entire article.

The line I found most interesting was Vandrovec describing other coaches' view of Nagy's schemes as being complex, unique, and hard to prepare for.

And, hard for young players to pick up.

My hope (and expectation) is that we will be much better next year and the year after.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Agreed good story my favorite line was:

"We're on the upswing of it and I can feel it," Nagy said. "I know we've hit the bottom. We're moving back up and we're competing. We're going to add more pieces to the puzzle, and we're going to be pretty good."

Go State!

Comment

I have to agree that this is a very good article about the state of our program. Terry continues to impress with his research. The stats in this article are quite in depth and we must thank our beat writer for coming up with them.

I'm on board with the fact I feel much better about our team and it's future this year than I have the last 2-3 years. As long as we can keep everyone in tact which I think we can do, things are going to take care of themselves.

Comment

Its good to hear nagy with something good to say in what was yet prolly another disapointing season. Even back in our last years as D-2 Mens teams have always had a bit of bad luck with injuries comepared to most teams at the time. injuries to Moeller, jones, cervany, etc, but its looking to turn around and nagy deserves it, he put in his hard work and i think its gonna start paying off soon.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
          X