NDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU

Make sure you bring your cowbells to the game, Miles has been practicing with them. They are not gonna be a factor. Two articles in the Forum, one of the SDSU women coming up here and one of our boys going down there. Is is some of the men's baskeball write-up.
    Signup for the online forum is free, go into sports and they also have a write-up of the women's b-ball game tonight.

http://www.in-forum.com/Sports/articles/155188

Miles tries for a first at Frost
    Kevin Schnepf, The Forum
    Published Saturday, February 03, 2007

As a basketball junkie growing up in tiny Doland, S.D., Tim Miles marveled at the vastness of Frost Arena.

More than three decades later, Frost Arena remains the same size – the 8,000-seat home for basketball at South Dakota State University.

But for Miles, the 34-year-old venue that sits 90 miles from his hometown in Brookings, S.D., doesn’t seem as big.

“I was looking at a picture of it in a media guide and I

couldn’t believe how small it seemed,” said Miles, North Dakota State’s men’s basketball coach who tonight will try to win his first game in Frost Arena when his 13-6 Bison take on the 5-16 Jackrabbits.

Frost Arena in Brookings, S.D. – home of the South Dakota State Jackrabbits – has been a difficult place to play recently for the North Dakota State men’s basketball team. Forum file photo
    With NDSU in its third year of Division I competition, Miles and his Bison have played in much larger venues such as Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas State and Texas Tech.

But don’t let size fool you.

“In many ways, it is a little more intense than some of those bigger arenas we have played in,” said NDSU forward Brett Winkelman. “The fans are right on top of you. You can really hear what they are saying.”

Not to mention the clanging noise from hundreds of cowbells. That’s why Miles had his student managers rattling cowbells during practice this week. (read more)
    "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Comment

How many student managers does NDSU have. I don't think they have enough to simulate what it will be like in Frost. Go Jacks and remember to bring those cowbells.

Comment

An honest question regarding the cowbells. Personally I could care a less but I have heard talk about Division I and the noisemaker issue with regards to folks from other DI schools talking about how bush league it is. If the folks from the Mid-Con or I should say the member schools of the Mid-Con bring it up how are you guys going to defend it? Obviously there isn't much they can do about it when the games are on your home court but what about the reputation if any that you may garner from using them with the rest of the Mid-Con? Maybe it won't be an issue but I have talked to some people (not Bison Fans either) who I asked about it and mentioned your use of Cowbells. They were the ones who used the term "Bush League" which to me didn't really sound like they were to impressed. Has there been any thought about that or don't you guys care?

Comment

Originally posted by bisonbacker
          An honest question regarding the cowbells. Personally I could care a less but I have heard talk about Division I and the noisemaker issue with regards to folks from other DI schools talking about how bush league it is. If the folks from the Mid-Con or I should say the member schools of the Mid-Con bring it up how are you guys going to defend it? Obviously there isn't much they can do about it when the games are on your home court but what about the reputation if any that you may garner from using them with the rest of the Mid-Con? Maybe it won't be an issue but I have talked to some people (not Bison Fans either) who I asked about it and mentioned your use of Cowbells. They were the ones who used the term "Bush League" which to me didn't really sound like they were to impressed. Has there been any thought about that or don't you guys care?
          One could ask the same questions about NDSU joining the Gateway, and the artificial noise makers inside a dome/ PA on third downs/ Students section directly behind the away teams bench. Its funny how when your team is away, things become "bush league", but if your team is at home, its part of a "hostile environment" (That is for all sports fans, not just you or NDSU).

I guess I don't see a problem. The cowbells are only rung during timeouts, never during game play, so how much effect are they really having?

Comment

I was honestly just asking your opinion on it, not a NDSU vs. SDSU thing. Obviously to some what other teams and their fans think doesn't matter and to some it does. I guess the real issue would be if the NCAA says something about it. On this topic but as an aside its interesting and I've never seen it but is anyone aware of referees ever bringing this up at any venue or penalizing the home team for artificial noise at any game?

Comment

I was honestly just asking your opinion on it, not a NDSU vs. SDSU thing.   Obviously to some what other teams and their fans think doesn't matter and to some it does.  I guess the real issue would be if the NCAA says something about it.  On this topic but as an aside its interesting and I've never seen it but is anyone aware of referees ever bringing this up at any venue or penalizing the home team for artificial noise at any game?
              My personal view is that it should not be any different than thundersticks, signs, megaphones, etc. I believe that the reason they are not rung during timeouts may be NCAA rules, not sure though. I do know that noisemakers are not allowed during post-season play. Until they crack down, to each their own.

Comment

I don't write much here, but here goes. Bush league or not, cowbells have been a part of SDSU athletics for years, I have been involved/watched rabbit sports since the 1950s and what might be called bush in other areas could be called tradition here. I have spent time in the old Cole Fieldhouse in Md, the Dean dome, and others around the country, they each have their traditions. I suppose that the opponents would call it bush. Think of Cammron indoor in Duke. Just my thoughts.

Comment

I was honestly just asking your opinion on it, not a NDSU vs. SDSU thing. Obviously to some what other teams and their fans think doesn't matter and to some it does. I guess the real issue would be if the NCAA says something about it. On this topic but as an aside its interesting and I've never seen it but is anyone aware of referees ever bringing this up at any venue or penalizing the home team for artificial noise at any game?
                  Like I said, the cowbells are never rung during game play, which would be an NCAA violation, and would get the opposing team free throws.

I don't know how anybody could have that big a problem with it. Should we stop having PA announcements during timeouts too, or stop having the cheerleaders dance with loud music, or the pep band stop playing as loud as they can, since all of those are undoubtedly as loud or louder than the cowbells? Its a basketball game, its going to be loud. The cowbells have nothing to do with the actual game play, since they can't be rung at that time.

I think many people believe that the homecourt advantage at frost comes from the cowbells, but I'm almost positive thats not the case. I think the hardest part about playing the game is how close the crowd is to you, and how on top of you the fans actually are. Take the cowbells away, and those would all still be there.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, I was just curious. Unfortunately I have never been to a game at Frost but suspect that within the next couple of years that may happen and I would expect a nice welcome from the bunny fans. Believe me when I say I understand how important tradition is and like I said in my first post I really don't care myself. Hey I at least got one of your guys who normally sits out in the weeds to post.

Comment

Looking forward to the game and a "hostile enviornment"! We only have two season ticket seats and with me and my dad being the rowdiest may have to sit higher :-/

I don't see NDSU running away with this, not after the Jacks improvement and also for the fact we play them twice a year and know them well. Not to mention their stuggles in Frost.

To win however, the Jacks will need to get their shots to fall. It seems their defense has been good, but have trouble scoring enough to either hang with teams neck and neck or pull away for the win.

Go 'Bits!!

Comment

Hi folks,
                        Kai's mom here, I am in Brandon Manitoba to watch our older son Jamal play tonight, against the number 1 team in Canada right now......I have a huge favour to ask of someone ?anyone who can ? this is Jamal's cell # 1-306-530-7675 , at half time could you call that number and just leave a short message as to how the game is going , you do not have to go into great detail, I will have no computer access after 3.00pm today which is in about 3 hours time........GO JACKS GO.....

Comment

I didn't like it last year when we had students leaning over the railing and ringing their cowbells in the Bison huddle. That's over the line, I think. There is a three-row buffer of Bison fans betwen our students and your bench this year (Mid-Con rule) so that should help. We've always been proud of our raucous crowds, but we also have a very professional athletic department staff that has done a good job of keeping order (unlike some other D2 universities who play in crappy domes).

I do think our fans have been good about not ringing the cowbells during play.
                          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I PERSONALLY LOVED BEING IN THE FANS SECTION AT FROST ARENA, THEY WERE VERY RESPECTFUL AND INCREDIBLY FUNNY. ;D

If Kai does not get too embarrassed I would love to sit there again, but I have to respect his wishes too.

Comment

I always thought you guys were ringing the cowbells all the time which in my mind is very bush league since noisemakers of any sort shouldn't be used during a basketball game. I guess if your using them during timeouts only its no big deal to me, as long as you don't ring them in our huddle(which is going to impossible to do since Miles bought stools and is going to have his timeout huddles away from the student section).

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
                                I always thought you guys were ringing the cowbells all the time which in my mind is very bush league since noisemakers of any sort shouldn't be used during a basketball game. I guess if your using them during timeouts only its no big deal to me, as long as you don't ring them in our huddle(which is going to impossible to do since Miles bought stools and is going to have his timeout huddles away from the student section).
                                Most of the crowd is polite but the student section has some good things in store for them Bison tonight...

Comment

Working...
                                X