Men's Basketball Budgets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Men's Basketball Budgets

I'm not sure how accurate these numbers are, but a national basketball board (Basketball State) reported 2007 budget numbers for men's basketball at Division I schools...providing some food for thought anyway:

School Budget (rounded) National Rank

Oral Roberts 1,267,000 168
    Oakland 1,085,000 196
    IUPUI 852,000 242
    Western Illinois 849,000 244
    Centenary 825,000 252
    IPFW 708,000 269
    Southern Utah 697,000 270
    UMKC 632,000 292
    NDSU 511,000 310
    SDSU 380,000 319
    (and just for comparison, Northern Colorado 627,000 ranked 293)

You can see all of the figures with this link:

http://www.bbstate.com/info.php?a=schools-hoopsbudget

These are expenses only...no revenue figures provided.

Re: Men's Basketball Budgets

Those are very interesting figures. I would have guessed SDSU's number to be higher. I think we definitely could add another assistant coach, and right now he would be very busy as are Klink and Daryl Cunningham. I would love to see the line items and amounts in that figure also the same of those with in excess of a million dollar figures in total budgets. With only 13 to 15 scholarships, it makes you wonder what else is involved. The major programs have probably included head coach salaries which are well over a million in most cases. If Nagy is in the 140k range in terms of salary, and the two assistants are getting in the 40k range, that does not leave much left for other expenses. In my mind, we need more disclosure to draw any conclusions. But being near the bottum, is not good any way you look at this number.

Comment

Very interesting. I wonder if those numbers change a lot year to year, but very interesting. Did anybody note one of the teams below us is Colorado State? That's odd becuase it's a major school and because that's where Tim Miles (who used to be at NDSU and, for that matter, at Northern State as an assistant) is now at. Strange.
      Grumbling along and embracing my role. If I didn't care, I wouldn't care. Go Jacks!

Comment

Like all numbers, these need to be understood properly. (The numbers are for the 2006-07 school year, not the current year, of course.)

Schools also report their numbers differently. The $380k for SDSU doesn't include $3.7 million of expenses which were not allocated to any individual sport.

The similar number for NDSU for instance is $2.9 million.

NDSU's total expenses in 2006-07 were $10,054,245 while SDSUs were $8,176,821.

Source web site is here:
        http://ope.ed.gov/athletics/search.asp
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Like all numbers, these need to be understood properly. (The numbers are for the 2006-07 school year, not the current year, of course.)

Schools also report their numbers differently. The $380k for SDSU doesn't include $3.7 million of expenses which were not allocated to any individual sport.

Source web site is here:
          True, Filbert, the total athletic budget is the $8+ million, which includes everything for all sports. By the size of the men's basketball budget in the report, I suspect only scholarships and staff salaries are reported in our figures (and I suspect in NDSU's as well). Travel expenses, etc. are certainly not included. There may be some obvious differences in the way the figures are reported, but I would still say the numbers say we are getting a good bang for our buck! The figures would not have included the extra new fulltime assistant...and when possible I am sure we will be adding another full-time assistant.
          Last edited by Jacks#1Fan; 02-11-2008, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Source web site is here:

And Oral Roberts is essentially a one-trick pony school which would help explain their basketball budget.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Working...
            X