Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cal State Northridge

My bad,

My point is that we are not as bad as we look right now.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I hope that all the players return and they get some great new freshmen coming in year after year, to keep the program strong. I hope the program gets as good as it used to be when it was a Div 2 school and the fans come back, I have to say I do think as with many programs there are many fair weather fans......

In Regina we had a playoff game and all we could get out on a Sunday afternoon was 950 people..I was disgusted and the bball people of Regina think thats great...our brand new center holds only 3,000 at max capacity.......we had it packed for the Canada Summer Games watching 17 year olds compete..it has never been that packed since.

Comment

Some how, some way I seemed to "misplace" my hat on the court at the end of the game...Dang thing just flew on the court I tell you. The Mid Con refs last night were not worth the 1100-1200 we were paying each of them. An ugly game. Jose and Kai had awesome nights. God I hate these close losses. They suck. Let's get them Bison up in Fargo.

Comment

Originally posted by thebluehatman
          Some how, some way I seemed to "misplace" my hat on the court at the end of the game...Dang thing just flew on the court I tell you. The Mid Con refs last night were not worth the 1100-1200 we were paying each of them. An ugly game. Jose and Kai had awesome nights. God I hate these close losses. They suck. Let's get them Bison up in Fargo.
          26 fouls called on Northridge.
          15 fouls called on SDSU.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

The basic fact IMHO is that we don't have the firepower to compete in the paint. Michael Loney plays his heart out...but he's a 6-6 wing, playing center with a 6-10 (253 lbs) center, and surrounding players of 6-8 and 6-7. We don't have depth at the position; Thomas Bassett assists, but isn't ready yet. Kai is fantastic and getting better as a wing player, but he is taller and can hit the threes, and can more easily compete for rebounds, but is able to work from the wing.

The guards have very few really open shots. Cadwell has gotten in a funk, but he still played hard, and our other guards play hard (and all the Jacks work hard on defense). Last night Matt tried to drive, was bumped and ridden hard, and he did get down. But if we have a strong post game, I believe he will play his spot very successfully next year.

I think the addition of Ben, Mo and Anthony Cordova on the inside will make a strong difference next year on how everybody else on the team performs at their positions.

Comment

from:SF_Rabbit_Fan...Thats 9 losses by a total of 39 points, for an average of 4 points per loss.  Most of those games were decided not by the Jacks being outplayed for the entire game, but rather a 2-3 series stretch.  2 offensive sets and a defensive stop in each of these games gives us a win.  The first step in building a successful program is to compete.  We are competing night in and night out with schools similar to us.  The next step will come next season when we start to win these close games.
              Our wins haven't been dominating performances either.  We could easily be 0-27 as well.  Check out N. Florida's scores, or other teams towards the bottom of the rpi rankings.  Bad teams find ways to lose close games.  We currently have a "culture of losing".  We need to turn that around quick (another year or two), or start looking for new coaching staff.

http://teamrankings.com/ncb/

I guess, I'm saying, I agree with you. We need to start "learning" how to win close games.  Just being competitive gives me no satisfaction.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

It's hard for any of us to know if Matt Cadwell hip pointer is continuing to bother him. The fact is he clearly has lost confidence, agressiveness and is not playing smart. I don't think he has been getting his fair share of calls during this slump, but that is no excuse for being 0-3 from the field in just 26 minutes. The other guy that has surprised me is Mark Engen who also has dealt with injuries, but does not seem to be very agressive and use his 6'10 frame to be more of a force on both ends of the floor. Where is the mean streak that we all heard about in the pre-season. I know losing is hard on everyone and most nights we are playing against teams with more talent, but that is no excuse for not playing hard and smart.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack
                  [quote author=thebluehatman link=1172002347/90#92 date=1172082410]Some how, some way I seemed to "misplace" my hat on the court at the end of the game...Dang thing just flew on the court I tell you.  The Mid Con refs last night were not worth the 1100-1200 we were paying each of them.  An ugly game.  Jose and Kai had awesome nights.  God I hate these close losses. They suck. Let's get them Bison up in Fargo.
                  26 fouls called on Northridge.
                  15 fouls called on SDSU.[/quote]

The sad part is this is the same crew that we had at UTPA and they will be in Fargo on Saturday. The tallest of the three is a horrible referee.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
                    It's hard for any of us to know if Matt Cadwell hip pointer is continuing to bother him. The fact is he clearly has lost confidence, agressiveness and is not playing smart. I don't think he has been getting his fair share of calls during this slump, but that is no excuse for being 0-3 from the field in just 26 minutes. The other guy that has surprised me is Mark Engen who also has dealt with injuries, but does not seem to be very agressive and use his 6'10 frame to be more of a force on both ends of the floor. Where is the mean streak that we all heard about in the pre-season. I know losing is hard on everyone and most nights we are playing against teams with more talent, but that is no excuse for not playing hard and smart.
                    If Matt is that hurt, he should be on the bench getting better. The attitude he was sporting last night was horrible. Commit a turnover, pout. What was up with the break away he had? Matt is a good player and the last couple of games is a bad reflection of the player from last year and the beginning of this year. Like I said, if he is hurt that bad, sit the guy a couple games ago to heal.

I will agree with the comment about the refs being horrible last night. There were calls both ways that were bad but the hand checking by all their players was out of hand.

Kai played great. As did Jose. Mike was just undersized. Kai will benefit a lot next year with the additions of Ben and hopefully Mo. He can play his normal position and Matt can be the shooting guard instead of small forward. We have good players if they can just stick it out.

Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

• Re: Cal State Northridge

Originally posted by thebluehatman
                      http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Ru+rMJjwHhA%3D
                      Beaten by one point for the second time in three weeks at Frost Arena, the South Dakota State University men's basketball team looked defeated standing at halfcourt Tuesday night, half-heartedly clapping along with the school song.

Thursday's 64-63 loss to Cal State Northridge before a crowd of 1,528 was the Jackrabbits' seventh in a row, the longest such streak in coach Scott Nagy's 12-year tenure and extended the school record for losses in a season to 22 - with three games to play.

"It just wears on you and you don't feel like competing any more," said SDSU true freshmen forward Kai Williams, who scored 19 points and made all five 3-point attempts, "but if we lay down and just lose and let teams walk over us, don't fight back, then that's not showing any character. For us to fight back, it's encouraging to know the guys still have life and they still want to see this thing through."
                      Certainly, the Jacks (5-22) showed signs of life, leading by as many as five after trailing the first 26-plus minutes and then erasing a four-point hole in the final 2:30. But they also showed signs of wear.

Are we sure this kids a freshman?   ;D  Great attitude and player.
                      Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94
                        [quote author=thebluehatman link=1172002347/75#87 date=1172068131]http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...Ru+rMJjwHhA%3D
                        Beaten by one point for the second time in three weeks at Frost Arena, the South Dakota State University men's basketball team looked defeated standing at halfcourt Tuesday night, half-heartedly clapping along with the school song.

Thursday's 64-63 loss to Cal State Northridge before a crowd of 1,528 was the Jackrabbits' seventh in a row, the longest such streak in coach Scott Nagy's 12-year tenure and extended the school record for losses in a season to 22 - with three games to play.

"It just wears on you and you don't feel like competing any more," said SDSU true freshmen forward Kai Williams, who scored 19 points and made all five 3-point attempts, "but if we lay down and just lose and let teams walk over us, don't fight back, then that's not showing any character. For us to fight back, it's encouraging to know the guys still have life and they still want to see this thing through."
                        Certainly, the Jacks (5-22) showed signs of life, leading by as many as five after trailing the first 26-plus minutes and then erasing a four-point hole in the final 2:30. But they also showed signs of wear.

Are we sure this kids a freshman? ;D Great attitude and player.[/quote]

Our "kids" have had to grow up fast. It's hard for them right now, but I'm absolutely sure that we'll see the payoff when they're juniors and seniors.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You know, I have started using the term "kids" way too much lately. I never thought I would be calling college students "kids" but I find myself doing it more and more. I have to apologize to the students for doing that. I act younger than them so why am I calling them kids. ;D I'll work on that.

Comment

SDSU has great wings they have signed great wings for the next couple of years also, they need to go and recruit a peer shooter and a post. If its in South Dakota, Canada, Europe, JC, South America, Asia, I don't care just go out and find those 2 positions. We need a good shooter so then we can go 3 guard put Kai at the 4 but have him be a slasher then get a good rebounder/ interier scorer.

Comment

BEEF INSIDE IS WHAT WE NEED TO ADD!!!!!

Unfortunately that is the hardest thing to get.  With what we have coming back and rejoining the team, the major thing we lack is a physical presence!

More experience isn't going to hurt either!

My guess is the coaches are aware of that.

SUPERBUNNY
                              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Remember this. It is darkest (this season) right before dawn (next season).
                                Go Big! Go Blue! Go Jacks!

Comment

Working...
                                X