X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU/NDSU Men's and Women's Games on TV

Just saw this on the Argus website this morning:

Doubleheader to be on TV
    Through an agreement with a sister station, KSFY will televise the SDSU at North Dakota State men's and women's basketball games on Jan. 25-26 at 7 p.m.

According to NDSU director of sales and broadcasting Jeremy Jorgenson, NDSU sold rights for the games - the first between the rivals since they became members of the NCAA Division I Summit League - to KXJB in Fargo, a CBS affiliate that, like KSFY, is part of Hoak Media Corporation. Sioux Falls' ABC affiliate will pick up the feed and hopes to be able to reciprocate later this season.

Sports director Erik Thorstenson said that KSFY would like to televise the Jacks/Bison games from Brookings on Feb. 22-23, but an agreement has yet to be reached.

Also, the SDSU vs. Missouri-Kansas City men's basketball game scheduled for Jan. 17 at Frost Arena will be televised on Metro Sports in Kansas City, but the feed won't likely be shared by a local station, according to Hove.

Re: SDSU/NDSU Men's and Women's Games on TV

I hope we can get the home games on television as well. We should be willing to give the broadcast rights away for cheap. It shouldn't really effect attendance.
    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by Jack4Life View Post
      Just saw this on the Argus website this morning:

Doubleheader to be on TV
      Through an agreement with a sister station, KSFY will televise the SDSU at North Dakota State men's and women's basketball games on Jan. 25-26 at 7 p.m.

According to NDSU director of sales and broadcasting Jeremy Jorgenson, NDSU sold rights for the games - the first between the rivals since they became members of the NCAA Division I Summit League - to KXJB in Fargo, a CBS affiliate that, like KSFY, is part of Hoak Media Corporation. Sioux Falls' ABC affiliate will pick up the feed and hopes to be able to reciprocate later this season.

Sports director Erik Thorstenson said that KSFY would like to televise the Jacks/Bison games from Brookings on Feb. 22-23, but an agreement has yet to be reached.

Also, the SDSU vs. Missouri-Kansas City men's basketball game scheduled for Jan. 17 at Frost Arena will be televised on Metro Sports in Kansas City, but the feed won't likely be shared by a local station, according to Hove.
      Sounds good, hopefully they will be allowed to reciprocate later this season.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
        Sounds good, hopefully they will be allowed to reciprocate later this season.
        We better or there is going to be many more pissed off people in ND. I for one am not going to let the games being on TV stop me from coming up to Fargo for the BB games in a couple of weeks. Always look forward to a trip north and the nightlife in downtown Fargo has always been entertaining for us.

Comment

I'm covering the hospital the weekend of the games in Fargo so the TV broadcast is a nice option for me. I've got Summit TV as well.

I think attendance at Frost is going to be good regardless of the decision to televise the games here or not. I hope an agreement can be reached.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I trust the admin's judgement of whether or not to put the game on TV.

One thing we could all do is call up the ticket office and purchase tickets for the NDSU game in advance, which would show that there will be SDSU fans at the game regardless of whether it is on TV or not.

There needs to be a MAJOR push on campus and around town to publicize this game. If we could get a huge crowd (a sell out is probably too much to wish for) AND get the game on TV, it would do wonders for our rep around the state and push future attendance.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

For those of us out here in West River South Dakota we don't get KSFY. I emailed KSFY and asked what the chances were of someone picking up the broadcast out here (KOTA is ABC's affiliate here). They told me no chance but directed me to NDSU's Director of Athletic Broadcasting (they also advised that the game is availale online----duh). He is going to email me the satellite coordinates. Once he does that I'll start calling around to see which sports bar can dial them in for us West River Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                I trust the admin's judgement of whether or not to put the game on TV.

One thing we could all do is call up the ticket office and purchase tickets for the NDSU game in advance, which would show that there will be SDSU fans at the game regardless of whether it is on TV or not.

There needs to be a MAJOR push on campus and around town to publicize this game. If we could get a huge crowd (a sell out is probably too much to wish for) AND get the game on TV, it would do wonders for our rep around the state and push future attendance.
                I'm with you SF_Rabbit_Fan. All the posters that think TV is the answer don't have to balance the athletic department budget. There is a HUGE difference between NDSU deciding to televise, and SDSU making the same decision. Fargo-Moorhead has around 130,000 people within 10 miles of the game. Sure all the NDSU fans in that circle attend the games whether it is televised or not. SDSU has to rely on communter fans (100 miles round trip between Sioux Falls and Brookings), who consider weather, their budgets (gas and auto depreciation) and costs of a ticket in deciding whether they attend the games. With the two-night stand, rather than a double header, their costs are doubled. Sure the dedicated fans are there, regardless, but we have a much larger "fringe" attendance than NDSU. That complicates things considerably and leaves our department with a much tougher decision. I'll trust them to sort it out properly.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post

I think if you called NDSU for tickets at this very moment, you would not have too many options. They have been drawing over 3000 for several home games that were not SDSU as the Opponent. BSA is about the same in terms of current seating capicity. I had thought about tickets but will not have to since its on TV.

The games against SDSU to NDSU fans are important and they will show up in big numbers. Another thing is that a number of NDSU fans have discovered that 195 miles is not such a big drive so I would expect they will also help fill Frost. Now if those SF people could get over that long journey to Brookings, we will fill Frost. Extra push would not hurt, but if we continue to win both places and both games (m &w) will probably be sell outs. Does that suggest we need USD? Nah!!!!

I too trust the administration in their decisions. I see a court side monitor for play review is on its way. The admin knows what's next, its just a matter whats in their wallet.

Comment

Jacks#1Fan: That "fringe" attendance is exactly the reason we need games on TV. Why should they come to something they have not been exposed to?

Comment

I do not see it getting on TV.
                      Jacks#1Fan has a great argument. I just look at the football game. That game was a sure sellout and it didn't get on TV. I think Frost will be close to a sellout but that's not a sure thing. If you don't put it on TV when it's a sure sellout, why put it on when it's not a sure thing? Two years ago, NDSU had a doubleheader and SDSU had the games on different nights.
                      I still think the football game was a mistake. I will be at all 3 games so it doesn't effect me that way.

Comment

Originally posted by collegewatcher View Post
                        Jacks#1Fan: That "fringe" attendance is exactly the reason we need games on TV. Why should they come to something they have not been exposed to?
                        Agreed. We need to get this out there. Some people aren't aware what kind of basketball they are missing. We need to have the "balls" to put this on TV. The fans that are showing up now, are going to show up anyway. I respect our administration, but I would disagree with this decscion. You can still support and respect an administration, and disagree. Don't turn this into some argument about trusting Fred. I still think he should have televised the football game.

Comment

Sorry to continue on with this. What's a fair deal for SDSU??? Any publicity is good publicity.

We should be happy to televise this for free with a few advertising spots. We have trouble getting 2000 people to most games.

Comment

So KSFY would pay SDSU for rights to televise....correct?

We are not drawing well at home and everyone here agrees that the people who show up now will likely show up to the NDSU game.

Even if this game gets put on TV this game will attract more fans because it is NDSU....fans that haven't been coming to games.

So if a few fans....let's say 500-750 don't come to the game because it is televised does that outweigh the positives.....such as exposure to a much larger fan base and getting people to realize what they are missing? Keep in mind....revenue from fewer tickets being sold can be made up by the money from the TV contract.

I guess I don't see putting this game on TV as a bad deal.

Now.....I just hope I made some sense there....and maybe the ABC affiliate in South Central MT will pick up the feed from Fargo

Comment

terry's blog says the home game vs NDSU was all a mess up
                              it won't be on tv

Comment

Working...
                              X