Time to get excited about the future!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to get excited about the future!

It has been said in many posts for individual games and threads about individual players and deserves to be brought forward.

I'm really getting excited about this team and the future of men's basketball at SDSU! If you look at the athletic ability that we are able to put out on the floor it is just awesome. That was very apparent against IPFW Saturday night. Sitting next to a friend that kept asking me about the players and I kept answering, sophomore, freshman, and redshirt freshman. These guys are very young with the exception of Ben and Mo.

Why be excited? Just look at the young talent we have now!

Kai Williams (So.) About as smooth a player as I've seen at SDSU. Great athlete! Awesome rebounder! Takes care of the ball. Averages 16+ per game and could be much more aggressive. He will finish as one of the all-time greats at SDSU!

Garrett Callahan (So.) Great shooter and creator. Really getting his confidence. Has the ability to strap the team to his back and there isn't a shot he is afraid to take!

Clint Sargent (Fr.) Great shooter and a mismatch for smaller gaurds with his size. Great rebounding gaurd. Will get better all the time in this system.

Michael Pallarca (Fr.) Serious speed and can bring a needed spark at both ends of the floor. Can be a little out of control which is to be expected for a freshman. Nagy knows how to get good play at the point and it will be fun to watch Pallarca grow.

Dale Moss (Fr.) One of, if not the best athlete on the team. They seem to be trying to find more ways to get him on the court which is great. The rebound he went up for against IPFW brought a gasp from the entire crowd! He was way up there! Can't wait to see him on a breakaway dunk! Going to be a great player here!

Anthony Cordova (Fr.) He is a big body that is going to eat up a lot of rebounds. Very athletic and will continue to develop into a force. They seem to be getting him on the floor more all the time with good results.

Josh Cassaday (Fr.) Had a very promising start before getting injured. I look forward to watching him play more and to develop in the future.

These guys along with Bassett, Engen, and others are going to give SDSU a solid AND EXPERIENCED nucleus moving forward. Add in the new faces that have committed and are being recruited and this team is going to be a force to deal with in the future. It will be fun to see these guys develop until the conference tournament is in Sioux Falls next year as we try and get to the "Big Dance".

When it all boils down the obvious thing to do is to look at wins and losses. But when you look past that, there is a lot to be excited about right now. This team is 7-9 but I think they are 1-8 in games where they have been within 2 points with three minutes to go (it may not be exact but my point is they are in the games) and that will improve with experience. You can look on the floor at times and see lineups that are competing well that are made up of all freshman and sophomores. We have been in just about every game until the end which couldn't be said last year.

WE ARE SEEING THIS TEAM TURN THE CORNER RIGHT NOW! I'm excited for the coaches and the players because it has been a tough road. We've all seen the excitement at the end of transition in Women's Basketball and Football and I think that excitement is just around the corner in Men's Basketball!

The next couple of years are going to be very exciting at SDSU!

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: Time to get excited about the future!

Not to mention we are a couple of plays away from 6-0 in our last 6 games (instead the youngsters are 3-3). I really hope I can make a game this year. Maybe NDSU weekend????

Comment

It's also worth noting that the guys have already matched last year's win total (they're 6-9 right now, not 7-9), but still they have fourteen games left to play. Every one of those games is winnable (some more than others, of course, with two games left against IUPUI, and games at Oakland and NDSU and the home Oral Roberts games all topping the toughest-games-remaining list).

Are they going to run the table the rest of the year? Of course not--the Summit League is too good, and our guys are still too young. But it's quite possible that, with a lot of hard work and a bit of luck, they could finish with a .500 or better conference record, and that would set them up for a legitimate run for a berth in the Big Dance next year.

Lots of things still need to go right, but things have turned around for the guys. Attendance is always a bit of a lagging indicator for team success, but it should pick up as word gets out that this SDSU team is competitive in the league, and fun to watch.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I agree with filbert!

It is great to open up the paper or hop online after the weekend and check out how everyone is doing in the conference and where the big games are the next weekend. The NCC seems so far in the rear view mirror!

And it will only get better!

GO JACKS!

SUPERBUNNY
        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Working...
        X