Summit League Officiating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Officiating

It has been mentioned here (by our fearless leader, Filbert) that Summit officiating is, thus far, stunningly bad. What does everybody think?

I'll get us started: I'd suggest that the Summit League might be renamed The Flop League for all the Oakland and IPFW players (men and women) who dropped to the floor as if struck by lightning whenever they were touched while playing defense. Meanwhile, our players moved their feet, stayed upright, kept their arms up (isn't that good defense?) and were repeatedly whistled for allowing their bodies to contact offensive players. Is there some new "neutral zone", no contact rule that I'm not aware of? No wonder the Summit gets routinely crushed in the first round of the NCAA tournament. It's the least physical basketball this side of the Brookings Middle School Wildcats.

Discuss.
    Holy nutmeg!

Re: Summit League Officiating

I had hoped when we entered DI and the Summit League that we would see better and more consistant officiating. Obviously this is not the case. After the game when there were 49 fouls called, I thought the players need to be able to adjust to the officiating. Now, I have no idea what to expect. I have never seen more touch fouls, fouls away from the ball and traveling violations than I have seen this year at the Frost. They call the touches and then when you get mauled, no whistle. Heck, the other night I was watching the live updates on the WBB and saw the crew had two refs that did a GBB ESD game a few nights before. I have seen where we were holding the ball handler and they called her for traveling.

Comment

I don't think we will ever get a perfect set of officals, nor will we ever get every call we feel we should have. I suspect that every Summit ref that has been in Brookings knows more about the game then I do. Maybe thats not saying much but I come to game to see the play and not the officiating. Should the home crowds be making the calls?

I would not want to be an offical of any kind. If we can't respect their calls then maybe we should not play the game. I don't know how impressed Summit Commisioner Douple was when we booed the refs at half time. Since we are an offical member maybe he does not care. I dont think it helped much to protest nor did it change any calls. These guys were hired to make the calls and once they are made we have no choice but to accept them and move on. I think both programs M & W have youth and are prone to make mistakes and if they are called on these mistakes, I dont see no need to protest.

Off hand I have forgotten the NCC officiating was like so its hard to make a comparison, but I do recall boos and nashing teeth back in those days too. So have certain unhappy fans changed? Where does it say that fouls are to be evenly divided amongst two teams?

Comment

Nancy Neiber was hired this year by the Summit League to evaluate the officials at the home games. I wonder what her evaluations are?

Comment

I'm not one to hound referees on a regular basis, but come on, these are officials that are PAID to do their job. It is their job and their responsibility to call a fair and balanced game. This is DIVISION ONE basketball. These are not donated time middle school referees officiating my nephew's jr high basketball tournament. We have a right to hold these referees to a higher standard. If they blow an inadvertent whistle and it costs us a bucket at the end of the half, we have the right to boo at them about it.

Anyone seen that new subway commercial? Reminds me of just about every BB game I've seen this year in the Summit.

Comment

Originally posted by State_fan View Post
            I'm not one to hound referees on a regular basis, but come on, these are officials that are PAID to do their job. It is their job and their responsibility to call a fair and balanced game. This is DIVISION ONE basketball. These are not donated time middle school referees officiating my nephew's jr high basketball tournament. We have a right to hold these referees to a higher standard. If they blow an inadvertent whistle and it costs us a bucket at the end of the half, we have the right to boo at them about it.

Anyone seen that new subway commercial? Reminds me of just about every BB game I've seen this year in the Summit.
            I realize they are indeed paid, but I dont think I can do a better job. If you think you can, or any one else on this board can, then be my guest and apply for an officating job. I tend to think most of us would not find officating as an easy job. I not saying that the officating is perfect, but I am saying they were hired, they did their job and bucket or no bucket, the game was not settled by an inadverent whistle. Our guys won the game by their efforts on the floor and not by favorable calls.

Its interesting that I received a negative rep point for not piling on the refs, gosh my loyality is being challanged, but its about how I honestly feel and not about rep points.

Comment

I received negative points for starting this thread. Interesting.

Seriously. That one person may consider it "immature" to question the almighty referees. But all I have heard from people I have talked to recently is that the officiating has been very sketchy. I have yet to hear one person who has attended games here in person say a single positive thing about the officiating.

Can anyone (anyone who has the cajones to post here and not just anonymously drop negative rep points on people) argue that the officiating has been good? I seem to recall a certain wrong goaltending call that cost us a game or something over the weekend.

Have at it, referee lovers. Tell us why the officiating has been so good.
              Last edited by JimmyJack; 01-06-2008, 07:16 PM.
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I'll say it, the refs in the Summit League are aweful and the ORU fans will say the same. They aren't consistant and in my view don't know how to call a good game. A few are decent but some shouldn't be reffing Class B ball in North Dakota yet alone DI ball. I'll take the Horizon League refs NDSU used to have over what the Summit League has any day.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  It has been mentioned here (by our fearless leader, Filbert) that Summit officiating is, thus far, stunningly bad. What does everybody think?

I'll get us started: I'd suggest that the Summit League might be renamed The Flop League for all the Oakland and IPFW players (men and women) who dropped to the floor as if struck by lightning whenever they were touched while playing defense. Meanwhile, our players moved their feet, stayed upright, kept their arms up (isn't that good defense?) and were repeatedly whistled for allowing their bodies to contact offensive players. Is there some new "neutral zone", no contact rule that I'm not aware of? No wonder the Summit gets routinely crushed in the first round of the NCAA tournament. It's the least physical basketball this side of the Brookings Middle School Wildcats.

Discuss.
                  Since I'm apparently the instigator here, I'll be specific about my complaint: I thought the officiating at the IPFW-SDSU women's and men's game was atrocious, to the point where I think SDSU ought to send a letter of complaint to the Commissioner.

I have also been to the SDSU-Centenary game earlier this year, and the officiating in Shreveport was much less objectionable. So, I'm not necessarily painting the entire conference refereeing crew with a broad brush. But last Saturday night's two refereeing crews were, to be charitable, off their game.

I would stop well short of saying that Summit League Officiating is bad all over. I do however say that I think the officiating Saturday night, in both the men's and women's games, was very, very far from the best officiating I have ever seen. And mind you, this is coming from a guy whose teams won both games.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I missed the women's game (thanks goodness, my voice would not have held up) as for the men's game, I agree with others (with the exception of one who likes to give negative rep points). The officials are doing a very poor job and for that there is no excuse. The official at the end of the half made a mistake that should be recognized. Boos are the best way to do that. Officials are held to a standard and that standard is not being met in my opinion. The goaltend call, the shot clock/game clock confusion, the saving the ball when stepping 3 feet out-of-bounds first, the Ben Beran offensive foul when getting mugged, the Moe Berte defensive foul when he doesn't initiate contact, the Clint Sargent getting shoved into an opposing player and nearly getting injured while called for a foul play....need I carry on?

Man, I can whine with the best of them. I do think the officials have been a little hard on us this year but then again, I am quite biased. I think Nidaros makes some reasonable points but those points don't excuse the mistakes that have been made. I hope things improve as the conference season progesses.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I think the men's game was better officiated than the women's game, but thats not saying much.

Comment

Commissioner Douple was in Frost Arena to take in the lovely display of officiating on Saturday night. I wasn't able to make the women's game but many have told me the officiating was even worse.

It might just be a thing that the officials in the Summitt League know all of the other teams and coaching staffs and aren't familiar with us or likely to give us the benefit. Not saying that is right for one second but we may have to earn our stripes so to speak in this regard.

For the record, the officiating Saturday night was as bad as I've seen for a long time. It was horrible for both teams. It's a shame that you have these athletes out there working their butts off and they are subjected to officiating like that which can be the difference in a game.

That all being said, I can't do better with a striped shirt and a whistle.

I never thought I would say, "Where's Jocko, Cappy, Leisure, and Willie Sanchez?" I probably owe them an apology for some of the things I yelled back in the day.

SUPERBUNNY
                        MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                          Commissioner Douple was in Frost Arena to take in the lovely display of officiating on Saturday night. I wasn't able to make the women's game but many have told me the officiating was even worse.

It might just be a thing that the officials in the Summitt League know all of the other teams and coaching staffs and aren't familiar with us or likely to give us the benefit. Not saying that is right for one second but we may have to earn our stripes so to speak in this regard.

For the record, the officiating Saturday night was as bad as I've seen for a long time. It was horrible for both teams. It's a shame that you have these athletes out there working their butts off and they are subjected to officiating like that which can be the difference in a game.

That all being said, I can't do better with a striped shirt and a whistle.

I never thought I would say, "Where's Jocko, Cappy, Leisure, and Willie Sanchez?" I probably owe them an apology for some of the things I yelled back in the day.

SUPERBUNNY
                          I can tell you where Cappy is and that he is probably belittling the Jackrabbits and Dr. Oien. I'll stop there so as to avoid too much conflict.
                          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                            I think the men's game was better officiated than the women's game, but thats not saying much.
                            Excellent choice of words "better" officated vs well officiated. Well officated games would be an oxymoron. That being said, its a tough job. I've tried it certainly not at the college level. At this level it is fast paced, physical, above the rim and demanding of both the players and officials. Albiet the officials at this level are expected to perform at this level. In each and every close call the officials are 50% wrong or right if your an optimist. Agrueably the games this past week were officiated fairly. We would not even be discussing the officiating if it were not for a few impact calls such as the goaltending, inadvertant whistle, a couple phantom travels an so on. In these instances the officials clearly stepped on thier ?*&$'s. The players, coach's and fans deserve the best available officials and unfortunately I believe we have them! We would not be happy if we could not pound on the officials. I am amazed they can find anyone foolish enough to put themselves through the abuse.

Go big, Go blue, Go Jacks

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post
                              Excellent choice of words "better" officated vs well officiated. Well officated games would be an oxymoron. That being said, its a tough job. I've tried it certainly not at the college level. At this level it is fast paced, physical, above the rim and demanding of both the players and officials. Albiet the officials at this level are expected to perform at this level. In each and every close call the officials are 50% wrong or right if your an optimist. Agrueably the games this past week were officiated fairly. We would not even be discussing the officiating if it were not for a few impact calls such as the goaltending, inadvertant whistle, a couple phantom travels an so on. In these instances the officials clearly stepped on thier ?*&$'s. The players, coach's and fans deserve the best available officials and unfortunately I believe we have them! We would not be happy if we could not pound on the officials. I am amazed they can find anyone foolish enough to put themselves through the abuse.

Go big, Go blue, Go Jacks

Comment

Working...
                              X