DeBoer, an Impact?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeBoer, an Impact?

Will the return of eligability to big man Brandon DeBoer be a big factor for SDSU? I don't know much on the kid, but I know a big kid could help, so can this kid play and will he be a big impact for this team?

Re: DeBoer, an Impact?

big impact--- NO
    but I do think he will help out at the post.... don't know too much about him he was pretty good in high school but a guy that averaged 9 points at a NAIA school isn't going to have a big impact at a D-I school.........

Comment

he was averaging the nine points in high school, not NAIA.
      I don't think he ever played a game up there since I saw him practicing with the jacks during the spring semester last year and graduated hs in 06.

and no he won't be an impact on the team, unless he's gotten a lot better since I saw him at Huron High School, overall he's really good kid though

Comment

he played first semester at Jamestown..... I think he will help at times but he won't be an impact.... it should allow a little more flexibility options at the post but I don't see him getting minutes much different then Engen, if there are matchups that work good for him or were short due to injury or foul trouble he will play but other then that he won't see too much time.... I do think that he is a great addition to the team in general though because from what I know of the kid is that he gives it all in practice and is one of those guys that does everything the coach wants him to do....

9 points in AA though is like 15-16 in A or B, 9 points for a post is pretty good actually thats about what Colton averaged last year.....

Comment

Originally posted by astat32 View Post
          Will the return of eligability to big man Brandon DeBoer be a big factor for SDSU? I don't know much on the kid, but I know a big kid could help, so can this kid play and will he be a big impact for this team?
          "Big Man" I think he goes 6'6. That may be a big man in high school and a NAIA school, but not at the DI level unless he can jump like Matt Jones? I do hope he can contribute when called upon.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            9 points in AA though is like 15-16 in A or B
            very arguable point there. Half of the ESD teams and most of the Rapid teams would struggle to go .500 in A.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Sorry Joe, 9 points at any level is not a lot.

Milwaukee: Its half of the GDC (western half) and maybe two ESD teams would struggle to go .500 in A.

Is Deboer even a scholorship player? He may have an impact in practice, but from what I've heard and from watching him in high school, I doubt he will have an impact in a game.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
                very arguable point there. Half of the ESD teams and most of the Rapid teams would struggle to go .500 in A.
                i dont think any ESD team would struggle to go .500 in A. in fact, id be surprised if they lost more than 3 or 4 games, depending on which A teams they played. now the west river AA teams, thats a different story.

Comment

6'6" in D-I is a swing man. Kai Williams is straight out of Central Casting as the quintessential 6'6" D-I swingman, with a good outside shot, good ball handling skills, and ability to post up inside on occasion with enough hops to be a rebounding force.

So, how does DeBoer's game compare to Williams'? That's the question. I'd be delighted if he had a fraction of Kai's all-around game, or even excelled in any of: outside shot, ball handling, or post-up. If not, he'll be a practice player. I guess we'll see.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

That'll be the start of a smack thread!

Comment

Don't want to let this thread drift but a serious question by an outsider. I understand that the ESD version of basketball is ill suited for development of basketball players. They were playing 35-25 games back in the sixties when I was in high school. I think they could win 50% of games, however and then some.

My question is why are the four large west river schools so miserable in both basketball and football. Is this a long term thing, so just in the last few years? Is it genes, the water, pure chance, or schools that devote very little to athletic budgets?

My apologies for drifting, but this doesn't seem like it's worth devoting a new thread too and I've been out of the state for forty+ years.

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzled_Jack View Post
                        Don't want to let this thread drift but a serious question by an outsider. I understand that the ESD version of basketball is ill suited for development of basketball players. They were playing 35-25 games back in the sixties when I was in high school. I think they could win 50% of games, however and then some.

My question is why are the four large west river schools so miserable in both basketball and football. Is this a long term thing, so just in the last few years? Is it genes, the water, pure chance, or schools that devote very little to athletic budgets?

My apologies for drifting, but this doesn't seem like it's worth devoting a new thread too and I've been out of the state for forty+ years.
                        First of all ESD basketball is as slow as it comes.... last year I think it was Yankton and Brandon Valley and BV won on a last second 3 by Dale Moss and won like 27-25 or something like that and scores in the mid 30's were common.... that is the reason I said 9 point is like 15 in A ball..... The ESD would have a tough time playing A's and B's style of basketball but would probably win most games.... Now when it comes to West River there are issues..... Sturgis had a good year last year and look respectable but Spearfish is horrible, and so are the Rapid schools.... STM hurts them a little but not as much as people make it out to be.... I have heard that the coachs at the Rapid schools were pretty bad... I know of a few kids I went to school with that were pretty good players and played AAU ball but didn't go out in high school because of the coaches.... I think it also goes in cycles were West River is good at basketball.... In the past 10 years you had... The Paulson brothers who were recruited big time, Matt Martin and Templeton.... BHSU starts 2 kids from West River SD (Willjon Johnson Sturgis and Randy Herman Belle Fourche) I think most of it is coaching and for the A and B schools a lot of it is location. Alot of the schools have school districts that are huge kids have to drive 30 miles to school so they don't have the 5th and 6th grade basketball like they do in Eastern South Dakota.... But as far as Rapid other then coaching I really don't know what the issue would be.... So I don't think its talent I just think its more to do with coaching and depth.... but thats my guess......

Comment

Rapid City has a hella good baseball program, you think they could do the same with basketball.
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Back to DeBoer. I've just seen him in practice situations, but he seems to have good leaping ability,and he plays with enthusiasm. He looks likes he's having fun when he's on the basketball court and wants to play. Players like that have the potential to contribute. He looks like a welcome addition to a team that has been far from deep for the past few seasons.
                            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                              First of all ESD basketball is as slow as it comes.... last year I think it was Yankton and Brandon Valley and BV won on a last second 3 by Dale Moss and won like 27-25 or something like that and scores in the mid 30's were common.... that is the reason I said 9 point is like 15 in A ball..... The ESD would have a tough time playing A's and B's style of basketball but would probably win most games....
                              If you get the chance, watch Watertown play this year (coach is SDSU standout Brian Norberg) and you'll see very fast basketball, lots of crisp passing, etc., with some attributes of the college game, and higher scoring than many AA games in recent years. Their opponents react accordingly and the whole game is much easier to watch.

I agree generally that AA ball has bogged down and I'm looking forward to the implementation of the shot clock next season (I can't recall if it'll be 30 second -- hope so -- or 35 seconds -- better than nothing).

Don't compare all ESD teams to Brandon Valley. BV's coach won't cut loose talented guys like Dale Moss. I think BV's coach puts molasses in their shoes and on the court before each game.

Comment

Working...
                              X