Callahan - Coming into his own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Callahan - Coming into his own?

Garrett has played exceptionally the last 2 games. 19 last night, 16 tonight, handling the ball well, shooting FT's well just what we needed and what Nagy knew he could do. I wonder if he is more of a 2 than a point guy. Maybe Sargent or Palarca will fill that role. We need solid guard play and I think Callahan will be the guy to lead them.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: Callahan - Coming into his own?

Agreed. Callahan has really stepped up his game. It's looking like Palarca or Sargent are the best options at point. With that juco guard failing to make the grade before the start of the school year (can't remember his name) and with Casey being redshirted, the Jacks are not very deep at guard. Moss will help. But Wipf and Tivis probably will have to contribute before the season's over, too.
    This space for lease.

Comment

At the UWM game, he played a great game. He was the player everyone on the UWM side was talking about at both half-time and at the end of the game. From what I've seen, he has that drive that truly determined athletes have...and what has been missing from our teams in the past couple of years. You could see when the team was lagging during the middle of the 1st half that he just decided "I'm not going to let this happen." There are members of our team with arguably more talent and definitely more hype who could put up 20 a night if they had his drive and determination. He's a good player and will quickly develop into the leader of this team once Ben has graduated.
      "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
        At the UWM game, he played a great game. He was the player everyone on the UWM side was talking about at both half-time and at the end of the game. From what I've seen, he has that drive that truly determined athletes have...and what has been missing from our teams in the past couple of years. You could see when the team was lagging during the middle of the 1st half that he just decided "I'm not going to let this happen." There are members of our team with arguably more talent and definitely more hype who could put up 20 a night if they had his drive and determination. He's a good player and will quickly develop into the leader of this team once Ben has graduated.
        MJA,
        You didn't provide any recap from your experience at the game at UWM (not like you are required to), but I have enjoyed your commentary in the past. Anything you want to share with the board?
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
          MJA,
          You didn't provide any recap from your experience at the game at UWM (not like you are required to), but I have enjoyed your commentary in the past. Anything you want to share with the board?
          I have to agree...I've been waiting to read your take on the game in Milwaukee since I know you were there in person.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
            I have to agree...I've been waiting to read your take on the game in Milwaukee since I know you were there in person.
            I'll get something out tomorrow. Was back in SD (Bison to be exact) over Turkey day. Just got back and was swamped at work. Easy day tomorrow, though. I was as impressed by this SDSU team (as were most UWM supporters) than any team since the D1 transition and that includes seeing us hold our own at Kentucky back when all of this started.
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
              I'll get something out tomorrow. Was back in SD (Bison to be exact) over Turkey day. Just got back and was swamped at work. Easy day tomorrow, though. I was as impressed by this SDSU team (as were most UWM supporters) than any team since the D1 transition and that includes seeing us hold our own at Kentucky back when all of this started.
              Crazy, I was in Bison for Turkey Day too

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                Garrett has played exceptionally the last 2 games. 19 last night, 16 tonight, handling the ball well, shooting FT's well just what we needed and what Nagy knew he could do. I wonder if he is more of a 2 than a point guy. Maybe Sargent or Palarca will fill that role. We need solid guard play and I think Callahan will be the guy to lead them.
                Garrett looked great on Saturday. Taking and hitting big shots, penetrating and making tough jumpers while drawing fouls and making FT's. He had some nice assists as well. I really think he is the main factor for this team. If he is playing well it really allows our other guys to settle in. I had concerns about him last year but he is really impressive this season. I gotta find a way to see more games this year. If you haven't had a chance to see Callahan play, you need to do it.
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There is no doubt that Garrett was the starter for the Jacks engine in both games this week. He has literally taken it on himself to get the team going and is doing it VERY well!! As an aside, it will be interesting to see how his younger brother compares when he gets his chance here!

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Garrett looked great on Saturday. Taking and hitting big shots, penetrating and making tough jumpers while drawing fouls and making FT's. He had some nice assists as well. I really think he is the main factor for this team. If he is playing well it really allows our other guys to settle in. I had concerns about him last year but he is really impressive this season. I gotta find a way to see more games this year. If you haven't had a chance to see Callahan play, you need to do it.
                    The 15 ft fadeaway jumper he made from the right corner was absolutely spectacular.

I love watching Garrett play basketball. Heck, I love watched the Jackrabbits play basketball!
                    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

The move away from playing the point has really helped his game. With no longer being the primary ball handler this frees him up for the outside shot. You can just see his confidence growing each game. I love his aggressiveness in driving to the basket, which has been a weakness for us since the move up. With his good freethrow shooting, passing, ability to drive to the hoop, and keeps improving his shot, he is starting to remind me of Sempsrott.

Comment

The other thing helping with Garrett driving is teams can't switch off as easy this year. When you have two players like Kai and Clint on the outside, you can't have their players switch off. You don't switch off of Ben because he has the nice baseline jumper. This team is making it hard with the additional scorers this year. I was worried before the season started if Clint could play the point because I took for granted he was a shooting guard from high school. He showed me wrong. He has handled the point very well. I am surprised sometimes that Garrett is able to get some of those shots off when he drives. His defender can't forget about the three point shooting from him either.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Working...
                        X