X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Something To Think About

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    We'll get better.

We're young. Again. Still. Yet. We're young primarily because of the three guys who are the topic of this thread who aren't on our team (for reasons which I personally can understand, if not in all cases agree with).

Last year we shot .420 from the field and .318 from 3-point range. This year, it's .453 and .235. (So somebody has to emerge who can consistently can the 3 on this team). But overall shooting is improved.

Last year we gave up .469 from the field and .372 from 3-point range. This year so far, .432 and .320, so defense is improved.

Last year we averaged 16 turnovers per game, this year we're averaging 23. That's atrocious and needs to be fixed and fixed fast. But our rebounding is up, as our our steals and blocks. We're better than we were last year.

We start a freshman and a sophomore in the backcourt. That's a recipe for a lot of frustrating games in D-I, where EVERYONE has good athletic guards. The successful teams have good, athletic, experienced guards, with enough frontline punch to keep from being dominated physically.

Especially when Berte comes back to stabilize the rebounding, I think we'll have a decent starting front line with Berte, Beran and Williams, backed up by Cordova, Bassett, Cassaday, and Engen, as well as stealing a minute or two on occasion with Loney.

But our backcourt players need to first figure out how to not turn the ball over, then figure out how to get the ball to the guys inside, then figure out how to score against D-I teams.

When they do that, we'll be a much, much, much better team.

I think we are better than the past two years, but I have four issues with our MBB team and I don't know if any of them can be solved so we can improve this year or next.

1. Our frontcourt leaders (Ben and possibly Berte) are going to graduate leaving us very thin and pretty inexperienced in our first year of NCAA and Summit League eligibility. While I hope the younger players can develop and learn from some of their intangibles this year, I hope it doesn't set us back because they are not getting experience that they could be and not playing with each other as much on the court.

2. We have nobody on our team who seems to show an outward intensity that gets the people around them excited about playing or winning. I just want one or two Andy Moeller, Derrick Schantz, or Chris Stoebner types who even though they might not be as athletic, talented, or successful as their opponent are going to punch you in the face and give you all they got for forty minutes. We have lacked that attitude since those folks left and have never found it in our D1 days. We miss that cockiness. I know some of it has to do with our youngsters, but look at NDSU. Their fab four have this, and it has garnered results since they were freshman. Our women's team has this as well, even the freshman. Cadwell had glimpses of this before his attitude went downhill.

3. Our most natuarally talented player doesn't seem to want to take the team over and make it his own. You saw it at times last year, but even more so far this year. It is highlighted by the fact that he has so much talent, it makes it look worse. We are not going to win games when he scores 7-10 points and plays average defense.

4. We need shooters. I am not a college basketball expert, but I can tell you one common theme that all good mid-major schools have: great three point shooting. Look at Butler, Davidson, Winthrop, Gardner Webb, NDSU, etc.: they can all shoot the three. It is the ultimate equalizer when you don't have athletes and bigs like everyone else. Do we have any true shooters on this team...or will they become better shooters as they get older?

Finally, everyone keeps saying that we are young and inexperienced, but when are we going to be not young and not inexperienced. I'm starting to worry more about who is the next person to leave the program for some unforseen circumstance instead of wondering if we have finally turned the corner.
    And to tie it back to the thread...I miss Holdren's game, Cadwell's fight, and Gilbert's athleticism. But if they don't want to be here than fine. Just wish they would have decided that before they accepted the scholarships in the first place.
    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

You people need to stop thinking so much!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bballfan54 View Post
        I know, I know. I hope everyone disagrees. Mom always said I was a worrier.
        "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

I gotta agree with Mrs. Williams...

What do you expect out of Kai? He is averaging what he did last year, the offense clearly flows a lot better when he is in even if he is not putting up huge numbers, he crashes the boards... the only thing that has bothered me is his shot isn't quite there but that is the case for everybody and I think that will come, its a flow thing...... Just look at how often the shot clock gets under 10 seconds when Kai isn't in and how often they throw up a bad hurried shot because of it...... The team has played good against 2 teams that could very well make the NCAA tournament, I will be interested how the team plays on Friday....

As for Gilbert, Cadwell and Holdren I can't blame any of them for leaving.....
          Holdren grew up near the campus of University of Illinois and after playing a handful of games in 2 years plus a redshirt he jumped at the chance to leave and I don't blame him and anybody that does must have a beef with him
          Cadwell man guys I'm surprised the guy didn't have a stroke last year how stressful would it be to be on the road all the time getting blown out of the gym and have half the team quit beside you.... I don't agree with him leaving but i don't blame him
          Gilbert-- dude the guy was kicked off the team he was raw too and I think everybody will agree with me in that a year at the JuCo did him some good.....
          Last edited by joeboo22; 11-21-2007, 05:29 PM.

Comment

Yep. Can't argue there!
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Well said Mrs. Williams, well said.

Comment

Originally posted by Rabbitlivinginverm View Post
                No offense Superbunny but this is the one comment that I'm sick and tired of hearing. I'm just ready for Jackrabbit basketball to be good again.
                There is no way to sugarcoat this thing! We have to start from the bottom and and improve and that isn't going to happen overnight. Personally, I think we have turned a corner with both this team and the talented young men that are going to be here for a while. We still have to continue to get better and now that we are coming out of transition that is a much more attainable possibility.

THESE KIDS NEED AND DESERVE OUR SUPPORT! WE ARE ALL JACKRABBIT FANS RIGHT? LET'S GET BEHIND THEM AND GET TO THE GAMES AND IT WOULDN'T HURT TO CHEER A LITTLE BIT WHEN WE'RE THERE!!!

One thing we can all agree with is that we want SDSU Basketball to be great again! The sooner the better!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Bingo again and that is why I said this is all water under the bridge. I would rather concentrate on the present. We got a great bunch who need some time to mature. Kai, though maybe a little slow start this year, will soon be making a hugh contribution as he did last year. I dont see him as a loafer or quitter by any means. Everyone seems to have high expectations from him of how he is going to perform on the court, and it has to affect him some how, but not for long. No matter what Kai is a model citizen and Canada is no doubt very proud of him and so are two parents in Regina. I too am proud of Kai.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Bingo again and that is why I said this is all water under the bridge. I would rather concentrate on the present. We got a great bunch who need some time to mature. Kai, though maybe a little slow start this year, will soon be making a hugh contribution as he did last year. I dont see him as a loafer or quitter by any means. Everyone seems to have high expectations from him of how he is going to perform on the court, and it has to affect him some how, but not for long. No matter what Kai is a model citizen and Canada is no doubt very proud of him and so are two parents in Regina. I too am proud of Kai.
                    Just like last year when teams focused on Cadwell because he was a returning scorer, this year Kai is going through the tough defense. Once the rest of the players get in their groove, teams won't be able to focus so much on Kai. I like this team. I just want the outside shooting to improve so teams can't zone us as much, freeing up the slashers down the lane and the post players. Here's to a big crowd tonight!!
                    Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Originally posted by bub94 View Post
                      Just like last year when teams focused on Cadwell because he was a returning scorer, this year Kai is going through the tough defense. Once the rest of the players get in their groove, teams won't be able to focus so much on Kai. I like this team. I just want the outside shooting to improve so teams can't zone us as much, freeing up the slashers down the lane and the post players. Here's to a big crowd tonight!!
                      The one thing about Kai is he doesn't do too much he doesn't get a bunch of charges doesn't throw up a lot of bad shots.... say what you want about him not scoring big but the guy is doing the little things right and is clearing things up for Callahan and others to do the scoring....

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        The one thing about Kai is he doesn't do too much he doesn't get a bunch of charges doesn't throw up a lot of bad shots.... say what you want about him not scoring big but the guy is doing the little things right and is clearing things up for Callahan and others to do the scoring....
                        Exactly, more assists than turnovers tonight. That is a huge improvement. I think I heard we had only nine turnovers. Kai can lead w/o scoring a lot.

Comment

I wish I had been at the UNI game. Fortunately, WNAX was coming in loud and clear as I was driving back from Minneapolis. Three Jackrabbits in the car and it was great to listen to the game unfold.

It sounds like tonight's game shows the improvement and the potential of this team.

There will be more great wins this season.

Way to go Jackrabbits!

Comment

Working...
                          X