Transfer's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transfer's

I was wondering what the steps are in recruiting transfers and JuCo players, is there a difference if its lateral or if they are coming up from D-II or if its NAIA? Do they have to make contact before the coaching staff can talk to them? Do they all have to sit out a year?

Re: Transfer's

Junior college players are free game. NCAA coaches, at any level, can contact JCs at anytime without any permisson from the junior college. You don't have to sit out if you transfer from a JC to a NCAA school. Not a lot of rules about recruiting JC players from what I know.

Comment

Re: Transfer's

Once a DI athlete starts their first semester their five year clock starts ticking.  Basically means they have five years to compete at the DI level.  So if they redshirt they have four years remaining.  The athlete can petition the NCAA for extensions for cases such as hardships, injuries etc. but once they start they have to complete their four years of eligibility within five years or they lose some years.  

DII & DIII have a different rule and it's not based on the clock theory but more of semesters of competition.  I forget if it needs to be done in a timeframe.  

For DI-DI transfers the athlete needs a release before the school can talk to the athlete.  The athlete also has to sit out a year.  If there is no release the coach can not talk to the athlete even if the athlete contacts the school.  They also risk loosing some elibility if they can't get a release from their current school.

Levels below DI (NCAA DII & DIII) the athlete also needs a release before the school can talk to the athlete and the athlete is eligible to compete right away.  

The NAIA process differs because they are completely different organization and not sure if the NCAA recognizes the NAIA rules meaning they might not need a release to talk to the kids.  Don't follow that level too closely.   I do know that NAIA athletes have four years of elibility and are not constrained by a ticking clock or consecutive semester rule.

Comment

Working...
      X