How will Miles Leaving NDSU effect SDSU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How will Miles Leaving NDSU effect SDSU

According to Terrys Blog (See below)in the Argus, Tim Miles is headed to Colo State. Good for the rabbits?

Bison (probably) lose a good one
    Posted in SDSU | Wednesday, March 21st, 2007 | No Comments »

Or if you prefer: Jacks gain window of opportunity.

According to ESPN.com, NDSU men’s basketball coach Tim Miles is leaving for Colorado State. No, this should not surprise anyone; it was a matter of time until the charasmatic, likeable, talented coach parlayed success on multiple levels into a high-major job. (Wisely, he turned down UNC-Wilmington’s advances last year.) And, no, this does not mean the Bison men will fall off like, well, the Bison women. However, it’s no secret that SDSU and NDSU covet some of the same recruits.

Even if the Bison hand the control pad to, say, top assistant Saul Phillips, there will be at least a brief period of uncertainty, and the April 11 signing day looms. Plus, more recruits are committing before senior year. Neither team has many scholarships to fill for next season, but even one player, maybe the one visiting Brookings this week, could help change SDSU’s fortunes.

These two schools have been admirably supportive of each other through the transition to NCAA Division I. But there’s no doubt that what is bad news for one is sometimes good news for the other.

Re: How will Miles Leaving NDSU effect SDSU

Who is visiting brookings this week?

Comment

I think the question is, what will affect SDSU more, Tubby with the UofM or Miles leaving NDSU. A crummy Gophers team with a no name coach might have been a recruiting advantage. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031
        Who is visiting brookings this week?
        Colton Iverson from Yankton.

Comment

Originally posted by SD-STATE
          I think the question is, what will affect SDSU more, Tubby with the UofM or Miles leaving NDSU. A crummy Gophers team with a no name coach might have been a recruiting advantage.  :-/
          Tubby will have no effect, Minnesota will probably go outstate a bit more since Tubby will have that name value that Monson lacked. It would also be very rare for an NDSU or SDSU to ever pull a recruit away from Minnesota no matter who their coach is. As for Miles leaving, the jury is out. It sounds like all the players are staying(including recruit Eric Carlson from Shakopee) and I'm sure there will be some solid candidates for the job. Gene Taylor has had a history of making solid hires(Bohl, Miles and Mcdermott) so I am not too worried.

Comment

Gotta agree with FargoB

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
              [quote author=SD-STATE link=1174574187/0#2 date=1174598538]I think the question is, what will affect SDSU more, Tubby with the UofM or Miles leaving NDSU. A crummy Gophers team with a no name coach might have been a recruiting advantage.  :-/
              Tubby will have no effect, Minnesota will probably go outstate a bit more since Tubby will have that name value that Monson lacked. It would also be very rare for an NDSU or SDSU to ever pull a recruit away from Minnesota no matter who their coach is. As for Miles leaving, the jury is out. It sounds like all the players are staying(including recruit Eric Carlson from Shakopee) and I'm sure there will be some solid candidates for the job. Gene Taylor has had a history of making solid hires(Bohl, Miles and Mcdermott) so I am not too worried. [/quote]

Well Tubby going out of state more means oppurtunities may arise for the SU's getting kids that want to stay close to home and see quality playing time.

Just throwing it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison
                [quote author=SD-STATE link=1174574187/0#2 date=1174598538]I think the question is, what will affect SDSU more, Tubby with the UofM or Miles leaving NDSU. A crummy Gophers team with a no name coach might have been a recruiting advantage.  :-/
                Tubby will have no effect, Minnesota will probably go outstate a bit more since Tubby will have that name value that Monson lacked. It would also be very rare for an NDSU or SDSU to ever pull a recruit away from Minnesota no matter who their coach is. As for Miles leaving, the jury is out. It sounds like all the players are staying(including recruit Eric Carlson from Shakopee) and I'm sure there will be some solid candidates for the job. Gene Taylor has had a history of making solid hires(Bohl, Miles and Mcdermott) so I am not too worried. [/quote]

Will Taylor use a selection committee to sort through the resumes and have them give him 5 or so candidates who will come to campus for an interview? This seems to be the best way to find the right candidate.

Comment

I think if there assistant wants it he will get it unless Roy Williams or some other BIG named coach shows interest

Comment

Taylor has already interviewed 3 of the assistants and will interview Saul Phillips tomarrow(the current frontrunner for the job). After that he said he is going to take a day or two and decide if he wants to give them the job or not. If he offers them the job NDSU will have a new coach by the end of the weekend and there will be no committee. If he decides to open it up I think he will find the candidates himself but will have some type of committe review them when they come to campus for an interview(At least that is what he did when Miles was hired).

Comment

Is it safe to assume that unless one of the assistant takes the job that the staff will follow Miles to CSU??? That would be the main thing with recruiting..

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22
                        I think if there assistant wants it he will get it unless Roy Williams or some other BIG named coach shows interest
                        Joe:
                        You were right on with this post. Saul Phillips did want the job and he got it last Monday. Also most of the staff if not all will stay put in Fargo. I don't think SDSU will have a much of an advantage recruiting wise with Miles's departure. Our coaches will still be knocking heads with the same guys that they had in the past.

BTW, Gene Taylor did not take my advice of a selection committee. He did not need to since the candidate was immediately availabe for an interview.

Comment

Working...
                        X