Hoogeveen transferring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoogeveen transferring

Just heard on Craig and Bob that Hoogeveen will be transferring to Northwestern in IA.
    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
    -Leo Rosten

Re: Hoogeveen transferring

Good Luck at Northwestern - Hoogeven was not a scholarship player was he?

I'm assuming end of the season meetings are done by now - could be wrong.....

Are there any other players that are leaving? No rumors please - just facts.

Comment

He was a walk-on for us.  Best of luck to him.

Go State!  

Comment

No one that I know personally

Comment

Good luck to him, I guess it atlest opens up another roster spot.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I suspect good walk-ons are hard to find, and Ryan had good credentials coming out of high school. So, I wish he would have stayed at SDSU and tried out for the Jacks again next season. However, he can't be blamed for transferring to a school where he should have a better opportunity to play. Thanks for giving the Jacks the first shot, Ryan, and good luck.
            This space for lease.

Comment

A year of running through nagy style practices couldnt hurt any going to a new team. walk ons always seem to be the fan favorite.
              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Typically because of NCAA rules and Title IX considerations a NCAA D-I Men's Basketball team will have 15 players on their active roster.  With a 13 scholarship max for the men that leaves two spots for walk-ons.  The number of walk-ons can fluctuate depending on circumstances (red-shirts, injuries, etc.), but ideally you don't have much more then three.

Last season SDSU had three walk-ons on the active roster (Casey, Yackley, and Wipf) and Hoogeveen, an invited walk-on, who red shirted.  One might assume that since Ryan came to SDSU as an invited walk-on that he came with an intent to prove himself and win an athletic scholarship.  

It is clear from written reports that SDSU's remaining scholarship will be going elsewhere.  It is equally clear that SDSU has two top notch walk-ons in Mackenzie Casey and Blake Yackley (who both see substantial playing time given their status) So could any among us blame Ryan for taking an opportunity to perhaps have his school paid for, receive more playing time then what might be afforded at SDSU, and to do it all closer to home?  I know I couldn't.  So I say thank you to Ryan for his year with the team and wish him the best of luck with the rest of his college career.  Northwestern is a pretty good NAIA school, I hope he does really well for them.

Go State!  

Comment

Working...
                X