Cadwell

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadwell

It's been brought up numerous times. Screw it, I'll take the heat from my friends on this one. Personal conversations with coach larson, kleinjan, loney and among with other players have revealed that caddy is not coming back next year. I'll take the heat on this one.

Re: Cadwell

Now I'm curious: who is going to give you heat and why?

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
      Probably his sources. He won't get heat for revealing the truth, but may get heat for having to reveal his sources. A source may not reveal future information if the source knows that he will reveal the source. This is why newspapers and television reporters do not reveal their sources, because once the source knows that he will be exposed, the source will not provide any more information in the future.

On this site though, you have to reveal your source or you can not post about student athletes.

(\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
        [quote author=JackJD link=1177528353/0#1 date=1177529335]Now I'm curious: who is going to give you heat and why?
        Probably his sources.  He won't get heat for revealing the truth, but may get heat for having to reveal his sources.  A source may not reveal future information if the source knows that he will reveal the source.  This is why newspapers and television reporters do not reveal their sources, because once the source knows that he will be exposed, the source will not provide any more information in the future.

On this site though, you have to reveal your source or you can not post about student athletes.

[/quote]

There is of course a huge difference between professional members of the media and anonymous posters on a message board; from a credibility, professionalism, and accountability stand point wouldn't you agree?

Go State!

Comment

It appears we have a moderator-consensus here.

Our standard here for that very, very narrow category of discussion is really not so different from the standard an editor (should) hold his or her reporters to when filing a story for, for instance, the Collegian or the Argus. But Internet bulletin boards don't have editors.

Just moderators, if you're lucky.

Blue's post starting this thread absolutely conforms to both the spirit and the letter of our policy. It matters (to me, at least) where this kind of information comes from.
          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
            [quote author=NorCalJack link=1177528353/0#2 date=1177530212][quote author=JackJD link=1177528353/0#1 date=1177529335]Now I'm curious: who is going to give you heat and why?
            Probably his sources.  He won't get heat for revealing the truth, but may get heat for having to reveal his sources.  A source may not reveal future information if the source knows that he will reveal the source.  This is why newspapers and television reporters do not reveal their sources, because once the source knows that he will be exposed, the source will not provide any more information in the future.

[/quote]

There is of course a huge difference between professional members of the media and anonymous posters on a message board; from a credibility, professionalism, and accountability stand point wouldn't you agree?

Go State!  [/quote]

JackJD wanted to know who would give him heat for revealing his sources. I would think that if Blue or someone else had information about a student athlete, that they could PM a mod and reveal their source to the mod. Then the mod could post a PM back to Blue or someone that had the information and authorize the posting of the rumor. This way the source would not have to be revealed to everyone on the main board and the information would get out.

Just a suggestion.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by Blue
              It's been brought up numerous times.  Screw it, I'll take the heat from my friends on this one. Personal conversations with coach larson, kleinjan, loney and among with other players have revealed that caddy is not coming back next year.  I'll take the heat on this one.
              If you're suprised by this news than you've been in self-denial.  It seemed pretty clear to me that Cadwell wasn't thriving and that the team was not gaining much with him as a member.  I'll take the heat for thinking that.  All that said/thought, it is another player who provided some major minutes and numbers over 2 seasons leaving this program.  Is there a problem?  Sure seems that way.  I expect there to be arguments from both sides.  I plan to stay out of it.  I trust Coach Nagy is making the decisions and if that is true, I trust those decisions.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                [quote author=NorCalJack link=1177528353/0#2 date=1177530212][quote author=JackJD link=1177528353/0#1 date=1177529335]Now I'm curious: who is going to give you heat and why?

[/quote]

Go State!  [/quote]

Here's my .02, not that it should really matter...

I agree with what 89 said above, but couldn't we also take into consideration the credibility of the members on the board. I think a lot of the problems we have had in the past have come from posters from other schools or drive by members who come on board, start some information of somebody leaving, and then never return. The one hundred or so active posters on this board all have SDSU in their best interest so i dont necessarily think they would reveal anything that would hurt or jeopardize a student-athlete or team before it is solid information...at least I know i wouldn't. Maybe that's walking too fine a line, causing the mods too much work and we are best letting our current rules stand. I just don't want to see the board turn into primarily a post spot for articles that appear in the Argus, on GoJacks.com, or other avenues. I can do a google search and find that information about SDSU. I come here for the other discussion.
                "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Good luck to Matt where ever he ends up. I wish things would have worked out for him here but there comes a time when a person has to what is best for themselves. If he was unhappy here you can't expect him to spend two more years mulling around being unhappy. He was a good player, but this isn't the end of the world for the Jacks. I still feel that we will be much better next year.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD
                    I did get a lot of heat for a couple post of volleyball players leaving from a couple of former players. They had a lot of interesting stuff to say to me.

As to Matt it is disappointing he didn't stick around like he promised that fans last year and didn't keep his promise. But the team said he acted differently this year around the team. The signs were there. Some were/are surprised about this. Most aren't I think.

Comment

man this sucks...ever banner in the weightroom is going to have to come down now because cadwell's face is on it...shoot...
                      Jackrabbits: Long ears, strong hind legs, gritty, relentless, fearless.

Comment

The way his attitude was on the court at the end of the year, I'm not upset he is leaving. When you create a turnover and you pout about it instead of running down the court like the rest of the team, you shouldn't be on the court. I have heard for 2 weeks now he was leaving. Did I want him to stay if his attitude on the court improved. Heck yeah. He can shoot the ball from outside and if we had a down-low game, he could excel. This will give Kai more time at the 3. Give Blake some more minutes. Blake showed a lot of hustle on D last year. I wish Matt good luck in playing ball next year and his future.
                        Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!--Bluto--

Comment

Cadwell lost prety much the whole team he played with last season, he was the one guy other teams keyed on and had naging injuries all year, I don't blame him one bit for being upset.... I hope that he changes his mind and comes back because I really think that they team could use him both on and off the court. Though I look at it and this is kind of an issue I don't care about, first of all with him leaving would allow younger players to play, second of all hes an upper classmen and will be a senior in the first year of elgibility. I wish Cadwell the best of luck whatever he decides to do though.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack
                            [quote author=JackJD link=1177528353/0#1 date=1177529335]Now I'm curious: who is going to give you heat and why?

[/quote]

NorCal: I think if Blue had answered my questions, it would tell us something.  Blue has been dangling the Cadwell rumor for weeks.  One of the following was likely:  1) his sources told him not to tell and he agreed to embargo the information; or 2) his sources didn't give a rip whether he revealed the information and in that case, it was a little bit of 'I know something you don't know'.  

Now, there were other possible answers to the questions, too, but those seemed to be most likely.  

If the first of what I think are the two likely responses would be Blue's response -- you seem to think that would be his response -- then why would he give up his sources and risk taking such heat?  Hmmm....  Certainly it's not out of some sense of altruism for the good of the Jacks.  That takes us back to the second reason:  I know something you don't know.

Blue writes for the Collegian and I doubt he wants the reputation of being a journalist who cannot be trusted with information because, as you point out, sources are unlikely to trust him in the future.  So, I have a hard time believing he was giving up his sources and was really worrieD about taking heat.  A little melodramatic, if you ask me (a not-too-subtle attempt to put some blame on the moderators).

On this message board, the rumor/attribution rule is limited to rumors of student athletes leaving.  Blue and others have enjoyed pimping the moderators about what I think is a reasonable rule set up by filbert.    

Blue's revelation -- the way it was presented -- may be nothing more than just another sideways shot at the original rule.  So, I suggest the following:  some on this board have taken time to talk about one rule which most seem to understand and support (I get private messages saying that).  Let's quit talking, directly or indirectly, about the rule...play by the rules...and enjoy talking about the Jacks.   Example:  Jacks up 4-2 against the U of MN Gophers in baseball and I'm going to turn the radio back on.

GO JACKS!

Comment

Turned the radio back on...Gophers jumped on the Jacks badly.

Now in the bottom of the 7th (just got a nice double play so two outs), Gophers 8, Jacks 4.

Comment

Working...
                              X