Klinkefus named assistant coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Klinkefus named assistant coach

Looks like we will be looking for 2 GAs for next season.

http://www.gojacks.com/ViewArticle.d...;ATCLID=922491

Klinkefus named assistant coach

BROOKINGS, S.D. - South Dakota State University announced the hiring of Rob Klinkefus as assistant men’s basketball coach on Thursday, filling a newly created position as the Jackrabbits continue their transition to full Division I status.

While serving as a graduate assistant for the Jackrabbits in 2006-07, Klinkefus coached the guards, served as the team’s academic advisor and spent a significant amount of time on the recruiting trail. . . . (read more)

Go State!

Re: Klinkefus named assistant coach

Congrats and good luck to Rob. He will do well.

Comment

Glad to hear it....

Comment

Does that complete our coaching staff?

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII
          Does that complete our coaching staff?
          I believe for now it does.  The NCAA does allow a third Assistant Coach and a Director of Basektball Operations, but that is in the future for us.  We will need two GAs to replace Deryl and Rob.

Go State!  

Comment

I did a quick check of our fellow Summit League Members and this is what I found:

3 Assistants and a Director of Basketball Operations

ORU

3 Assistants

Centenary, IUPUI, NDSU (before Miles left), Oakland, Southern Utah, Western Ill., UMKC

2 Assistants

IPFW, SDSU

Looks like we are a little short handed still.  I hope we have plans to add to both the Men's and the Women's staffs in the future.

Go State!  

Comment

I have watched Klinkefus during games across the way. He seems to be very motivated as a coach. Maybe  his resume is a little low key in terms of past experience, but we all have to start at the bottom. Plus some great coaches have humble beginnings too. The ability to motivate and concern for the individual players is big in my mind. Coach Klinkefus has those qualities and works very good with Derly Cunningham.

I think the Grad Assistant positions are becoming very important as a source for new coaching staff. I think the head coach can get a very good feel for the individual GA within the two years he is serving as a GA. If they are outstanding and learn the program, you need to hire them to fill any opening.

I too hope we have plans for hiring a third assistant as there seems to be more to coaching at the D1. I think the two assistants we have are going to do a good job this coming year.

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                I did a quick check of our fellow Summit League Members and this is what I found:

ORU

3 Assistants

Centenary, IUPUI, NDSU (before Miles left), Oakland, Southern Utah, Western Ill.

2 Assistants

IPFW, SDSU, UMKC

Looks like we are a little short handed still.  I hope we have plans to add to both the Men's and the Women's staffs in the future.

Go State!  

Not to fret too much.......NCAA Rules only allow 3 coaches on the road at any time for recruitment so SDSU is on an even playing field there. They also only allow 4 coaches on the court for practices so a grad assistant can fill that role. When all four full time coaches are on the practice court Basketball Opps guys aren't allowed to be on the floor coaching. So the void of not having a 3rd assistant can be filled with a grad assistant coach and no money laid out to pay the coach. Still it's nice to have a 3rd full time assistant to help with recruiting, scouts, individual workouts, film breakdown etc.

Comment

Looks like it is a moot point, as the Summit League has mandated that each school have a min. of three assistants.  

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...38/1002/SPORTS

Summit League presidents voted to require all men's and women's basketball teams to have three full-time assistants on staff within five years

With UMKC's recent hiring that leaves only IPFW and SDSU with just two assistants.

Go State!  

Comment

Originally posted by 89rabbit
                    Looks like it is a moot point, as the Summit League has mandated that each school have a min. of three assistants.

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...38/1002/SPORTS

Summit League presidents voted to require all men's and women's basketball teams to have three full-time assistants on staff within five years

With UMKC's recent hiring that leaves only IPFW and SDSU with just two assistants.

Go State!
                    Good for the Summit League! This shows that the presidents are serious about upgrading the quality of their basketball programs. I've no inside info, but I'd expect that SDSU will hire a third assistant sooner rather than later.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

OK, now that IPFW has hired two assistant coaches (1 assistant and a director of basketball operations) I think it is time for us to add another assistant for both the Men's and Women's programs sooner rather then later.  We sit alone at the bottom of the Summit League with the number of coaches we have.  

Summit League Men's Coaching staffs

ORU, IPFW

3 Assistants

Centenary, IUPUI, NDSU (before Konkol left), Oakland, Southern Utah, Western Ill., UMKC

2 Assistants

SDSU

Go State!  

Comment

From a recruiting standpoint..... SDSU is fine because only 3 coaches can be on the road at any given time. It just taxes the three that are on staff. Only 4 coaches can be on the court at one time so a grad assistant could fill that void easily enough. A grad assistant can also be on the road if one of the other coaches had to stay home. Three is better than two and they are making strides....it just takes some time.

Comment

Originally posted by Cadsev
                          From a recruiting standpoint..... SDSU is fine because only 3 coaches can be on the road at any given time.  It just taxes the three that are on staff.  Only 4 coaches can be on the court at one time so a grad assistant could fill that void easily enough.  A grad assistant can also be on the road if one of the other coaches had to stay home.  Three is better than two and they are making strides....it just takes some time.  
                          I know, I just hate being at the bottom of the Conference.

Go State!

Comment

Working...
                          X