Blue's thought on the team

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blue's thought on the team

This team should be more impressive than past teams. Senior leadership is there in full force. This is Ben's team, he's made that clear in the past. Sure Kai may be the main option but Ben is the leader of the team, and a damm impressive leader at that.
    Starters:
    Kai will be the main option and looked impressive with numerous dunks last night. If he doesn't average near 20 points a game I think there will be a lot of people disappointed including Kai. He can do all.
    Ben knows what has to be done and will produce. He will probably be the second option and will help us on defense where we've struggled the last few years.
    Mo he does what he does quietly. I am glad he came back and he is looking to show SDSU that he's forgotten about the past. I think he will be a force to be stopped under the basket offensively and defensively. Look for the blocked shots to increase this year with him playing the 5.
    Palarca looks like a good find. Should handle the ball well and will improvise on the court if needed to. He can shot the 3 if needed. Maybe able to challenge the assist record if he sticks it out and doesn't worry about the "me" factor. Pretty quick too.
    Garrett hopefully returns to form this year. A solid shooter who Nagy isn't afraid to tell to shoot the ball. Should be a little more comfortable in the system this year.
    Bench:
    Engen needs to step up this year. If Nagy could find a way to get him to shoot the 3 a few times a game, the 3 was his bread and butter in high school according to some coaches I have talked to, he could impress people. He has gotten the weight but needs some more on him. If injuries avoid him this year he could be a solid contributer off the bench.
    Thomas will be in trouble this year I believe with all the depth on the bench. Playing time might not be as much this year. I would like to see some of the Thomas from high school where he averaged a double double, but unless a spot opens up he'll be coming off the bench when there is foul trouble.
    Cassaday could be the fun one to watch. He will be challenging Kai for PT and could step up if someone on the front line struggles during the year. Looked solid last night.
    Anthony if he doesn't get lazy at times like Thomas did from time to time last year could be an impact player. He's got the height and size, his quickness is questionable at times but he is a solid player to have.
    Brandon even though he is a walk on, he could see some good playing time if he continues to impress Nagy. Works his ass off and gives his all to the team. We'll see what happens in the second half of the year.
    Michael is looking forward to the year. Humble player and gives his all. The unathletic bulldog gets the job done quietly. He should be the first big man off the bench in games this year.
    Mackenzie Casey's role this year might be unknown. He could redshirt or he could play. Mac is a role model for Native American kids and he always impresses me. Between basketball, school, being involved with Native American clubs and other events, and raising a child Mac shows the true grit. He gets pumped up easily and does what is asked of him. He will not disappoint this year.
    Moss' role will be defined as practice leads into the season. He along with Sargent could redshirt. Moss shows explosive talent and could find his way into the starting lineup as the year goes on. To early to tell how good Dale could be this year.
    Sargent looked good. A guard that can dunk, would be sweet to see some of his dunks in the game. Speed might be his weapon of choice, but we will see what happens with Moss and him this fall.
    Troy and Payton as walk-ons might not see much PT as the guard position is deep this year. Any action we see from them in games will be brief. But they add to our depth that is much needed.
    Coaching staff:
    Nagy and crew might have their work cut out for them this year, and the staff might not have to practice with the team. Having 2 assistants and 2 grad assistants will be nice. Deryl working with the big men and Klinkefus with the guards will hopefully give Nagy more time to work on developing solid game plans.
    Nagy might be in a pivotal year for the program and him. The heat is coming and wins are expected.

Another exciting year is on tap for the Jacks.
    WEAR YELLOW OR BLUE or White with yellow and blue. Let's get over this rainbow crowd look.
    DO NOT WEAR RED TO THE GAME.

Re: Blue's thought on the team

Blue what would you think about red-shirting Thomas Basset? I believe he hasn't used his and with 3 of the post players being seniors and the other 2 post players having already used there red-shirt it would make sense for the future..... I also think a red-shirt would do him good he looked lost at times last year on the court but at times he looked like a D-I player.....

I also noticed that one of the grad assistants started besides Joe Mauer on his high school basketball team if that ain't a recruitment tool I don't know what is.....

Comment

Redshirting Bassett would be an interesting move for Nagy. He brings on size which is needed, but his skills last year were not the most impressive IMHO. A year off to work on his skills and game might be beneficial but I just don't see Nagy doing that.I think if he was a guard he might consider doing that but I highly doubt it. Too many skilled players at a position is something we haven't had much of the last few years and this year might produce that type of GOOD problem for Nagy. We'll see what happens leading up to the regular season opener. I believe you have up to there to decide on redshirts. Cadsev or someone who knows more feel free to correct me on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        Blue what would you think about red-shirting Thomas Basset? I believe he hasn't used his and with 3 of the post players being seniors and the other 2 post players having already used there red-shirt it would make sense for the future..... I also think a red-shirt would do him good he looked lost at times last year on the court but at times he looked like a D-I player.....

I also noticed that one of the grad assistants started besides Joe Mauer on his high school basketball team if that ain't a recruitment tool I don't know what is.....
        I don't see having a grad assistant playing with Joe Mauer in HIGH SCHOOL as a recruitment tool. But that's just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUJack3031 View Post
          I don't see having a grad assistant playing with Joe Mauer in HIGH SCHOOL as a recruitment tool. But that's just my opinion.
          I am just a big Joe Mauer and Twins fan and just thought that it as kool.... if you ever watch the FSN Joe Mauer story you notice that Joe really liked basketball and it appeared that there high school team was pretty good.... I was also told that Cretin-Durhim Hall High School is one of the premier schools in Minnesota for all sports.....

Comment

Cadwell did come from the same school.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
              I am just a big Joe Mauer and Twins fan and just thought that it as kool.... if you ever watch the FSN Joe Mauer story you notice that Joe really liked basketball and it appeared that there high school team was pretty good.... I was also told that Cretin-Durhim Hall High School is one of the premier schools in Minnesota for all sports.....
              Cretin-Durham hall is, if not THE premier school, one of the best. Hopkins does well too. It's hit or miss up there because you can find kids in different schools, depending on the sport. The Lakes Conference is one to watch too. Joe Mauer was good. If I remember correctly, he was All-State basketball, All-State football with an offer to Florida State, and All-State Baseball and drafted by the Twins, 1st overall, ahead of Mark Prior. And we've seen how he's been doing for the Cubs (a little overworked doesn't help though). He was also Gatorade player of the year. But anyways, thread drift....I don't think knowing Joe will get you very far.

Back to basketball: I think it will be interesting to see how they do. I think Blue stated it correctly in saying that it's Ben's team. It really is. He's the vocal leader and everyone looks up to him. He has that quality in him. Another point to mention is that when Moe was clapping his hands above his head before his dunk, it was amazing to see how quickly people have forgot about (that thing). Good to see! Hopefully the cloud has passed....

P.S.- Right before Cassaday was doing his second dunk, I looked at my friend and said it has to be terrible to be Nagy and watch some of these guys do these dunks. Then Cassaday fell on his butt. You should have seen Nagy's reaction...couldn't even watch! Luckily no injury though. Just what they would have needed......knock knock knock

Comment

I think the two advantages to this years team compared to teams in the past are that the seniors will be key players and this team is a lot deeper then teams of the past.... Seems that the incoming freshman are everything they appeared to be and more.... Seems that all 4 are not only good basketball players but good overall athletes.

Comment

One other thing that should help is being in a conference. This team has more to play for than the past couple of teams, even though they are not NCAA eligible.

Comment

the suggestions that Clint Sargent possibly redshirting needs to stop. No way does that happen. I expect big minutes from him this year barring any injuries. A player with his ability doesn't sit for a year. He is already physically able to play and will likely see close to 20+ minutes a game.

Comment

Originally posted by ViciousCircle View Post
                      the suggestions that Clint Sargent possibly redshirting needs to stop. No way does that happen. I expect big minutes from him this year barring any injuries. A player with his ability doesn't sit for a year. He is already physically able to play and will likely see close to 20+ minutes a game.
                      In general I agree with you but this year they are actually deep and would benefit by saving a year of elgibility him, moss, kai, cassady, and garret are similiar players and by using a year of elgability would be suspicious.... Last year NDSU red-shirted Michael Tviedt even though he probally would of averaged double digit minutes off of the bench for them.....

I also look at it like this Nagy liked to use 10-11 guys back when he had the numbers to do so....
                      Palarca Fresh
                      Sargen Fresh
                      Moss Fresh
                      Cassady Fresh
                      Cordova RS Fresh
                      Callahan Soph
                      Kai Soph
                      Thomas Soph
                      Deboer Soph
                      Engen RS Soph
                      Casey Sr.
                      Looney Sr.
                      Berte Sr.
                      Beran Sr.

thats 14 guys so I would expect Nagy to redshirt up to possible 3 guys the ones I think he will choose from will be

Sargent
                      Moss
                      Cassady
                      Casey
                      Thomas????

Thomas probally less likely because of what Blue said in that Nagy will like depth at the post....
                      Last edited by joeboo22; 10-16-2007, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Engen needs to step up this year. If Nagy could find a way to get him to shoot the 3 a few times a game, the 3 was his bread and butter in high school according to some coaches I have talked to, he could impress people. He has gotten the weight but needs some more on him. If injuries avoid him this year he could be a solid contributer off the bench.

Blue: What are you talking about? He is almost 7 feet tall. He is not going to get any playing time unless he starts banging around inside. We have to many other players that will shoot the 3, we do not need our 7 footer that barely plays to shoot 3 pointers. We brought him here for one thing and that is to play post or to sit the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by senator07 View Post

Blue: What are you talking about? He is almost 7 feet tall. He is not going to get any playing time unless he starts banging around inside. We have to many other players that will shoot the 3, we do not need our 7 footer that barely plays to shoot 3 pointers. We brought him here for one thing and that is to play post or to sit the bench.
                          That's a bad post.

You'd like him to just be down low. But if he's not strong enough to go down low and push his way around, how about he steps out and hits a 3. Now you have Loney, Beran, Berte, etc. going one on one with the other post. Having a big man being able to shoot the 3 can help. Ben will shoot from outside and Loney always has that 15-17 footer that he'll shoot pretty consistently. Blue is not wrong here. You have to play with what you have. Hopefully he's able to push his way around down there. But if he's not, then being able to shoot the 3 and hopefully play some good defense while blocking some shots will be a great asset to the team.

Comment

I believe Nagy runs the motion offense at least he has in the past and the motion offense has great advantages when you have a post player that can shoot because it opens up a lot of other possibilities....

I don't think you want him up there throwing them up just because but if he can hit them down when he is open it would help a lot....

Comment

I am not sure if Engen will fit with the way the rest of the team plays. Palerca will change the pace of this team on both ends of the floor, he could be an impact player for the Jacks because he plays a style that will increase transition opportunities for other players. I have not seen him enough to know if it can last the entire season, but if he is on the floor things will happen - he looks to be a high risk/high reward type player. His ability to push the ball on offense and pressure the ball on defense may allow the Jacks to play more athletic line-ups without some size disadvantages being exploited. In practice, Palerca (?) makes it tough for any other guard to bring it up.

Comment

Working...
                              X