Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDSU forward playing against the world (Kai)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDSU forward playing against the world (Kai)

Argus article:
    Coach Greg Francis called Williams the most improved player on a squad that last summer helped Canada qualify for the U-19 tournament - held every four years since 1973 - for the first time since 1991. That likely wouldn't be the case if he had chosen to attend college in Canada, according to Williams' mom, Karen. And yet Jackrabbits coach Scott Nagy contends that SDSU probably wouldn't have been able to land the 6-foot-6 swingman if he had grown up in America.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: SDSU forward playing against the world (Kai)

Nice article MANY thanks to Terry V.

Comment

Because the Argus doesn't archive its articles, here is a little more:

http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs...310/1002/rss02

SDSU forward playing against the world
      Williams to join Canada for Under-19 World Championships next week

By Terry Vandrovec
      tvandrovec@argusleader.com
      Published: July 6, 2007

The only member of the South Dakota State men's basketball team not spending the summer in Brookings is headed even farther away.

Forward Kai Williams was one of 12 players named to Team Canada for the Under-19 World Championships on Thursday, although he's had a plane ticket to Serbia since the first round of tryouts ended more than two weeks ago. In fact, he's also been asked to play for Canada's development national team in the World University Games in Bangkok, an invitation he's yet considering because the tournament ends so close to the start of his sophomore year (Aug. 18).

Coach Greg Francis called Williams the most improved player on a squad that last summer helped Canada qualify for the U-19 tournament - held every four years since 1973 - for the first time since 1991. That likely wouldn't be the case if he had chosen to attend college in Canada, according to Williams' mom, Karen. And yet Jackrabbits coach Scott Nagy contends that SDSU probably wouldn't have been able to land the 6-foot-6 swingman if he had grown up in America.

Bottom line: He's in the right place to get better.

"I feel that college has helped me a lot," Williams wrote in an e-mail from training camp. "I have gained strength and have improved my game in some aspects. Going against the competition I have faced has really helped me, even though there are still a lot of things I need to improve on." . . . (read more)

Go State!

Comment

Great article by Terry (AGAIN!)

Congrats to Kai and keep improving!

Comment

Thanks for posting the link to the full article. I can't wait to watch Kai and his teammates this season. There's going to be a huge turnaround and Frost is going to rock.

Comment

I am having some serious withdrawal from Basketball, this is the first summer we have not travelled with either Jamal or Kai for basketball since they were 10 and 11
            Roll on November

Comment

Mrs. W, just checked out the website... is that the one and only "Larry Legend" in the photo group?

COOOOOOOOL!
              I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Which website ?? Larry Legend ?? can you explain a little more

Comment

Do you mean Leo Rautins ??when Kai was very young ?

Comment

I was thinking Larry Bird in the bottom right hand pic.
                    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

No that is Leo Rautins, Kai was 10 then, and Leo had a camp in Regina, Kai and Jamal attended the camp of his for about 3 years.

Ironic isn't it Leo is now the SR MENS NATIONAL COACH FOR CANADA.

Comment

Amazing what a few years can do!
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

If anyone is Interested this link should take you to Kai's stats when the games begin tomorrow , they play Nigeria first, they should have a couple of 7 footers, so Canada will be taken to task right off the bat, or ball

http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages..._playStat.html

Comment

I am personally interested in seeing how Kai does against the Australians in the third game in Pool play. I got to know 9 of their Aussie players while working at the Australian Instittue of Sport. They have 4 players committed to Div I schools this upcoming season (Santa Clara, Vanderbilt, Pepperdine, and St. Mary's (CA)).

Comment

I see Canada won, 82 - 60. Kai Williams had 11 points and 6 rebounds. The box score is not up so I can tell what the % for FG and FT are.

Go State!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Go Canada!!!
                              (\__/)
                              (='.'=)
                              (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Working...
                              X