No announcement yet.

Silly Season is Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Montana State coach turned down the WSU offer, per Seattle Times. Sounds like they may be going after Eastern Washington's coach next.

Out-loud thought... While I'm happy to keep Hendo as long as we can, I think the argument against hiring a good coach because they don't have recruiting experience in the area is pretty silly. DeBoer gets the same knocks for lack of "southern recruiting" while going to Alabama. Good coaches can coach anywhere, and will very quickly figure out the recruiting. Especially in this transfer portal era... you can build a talented roster very quickly, and continue the long-term build up more slowly.

Comment

Originally posted by RahRahRabbits View Post
      Montana State coach turned down the WSU offer, per Seattle Times. Sounds like they may be going after Eastern Washington's coach next.

Out-loud thought... While I'm happy to keep Hendo as long as we can, I think the argument against hiring a good coach because they don't have recruiting experience in the area is pretty silly. DeBoer gets the same knocks for lack of "southern recruiting" while going to Alabama. Good coaches can coach anywhere, and will very quickly figure out the recruiting. Especially in this transfer portal era... you can build a talented roster very quickly, and continue the long-term build up more slowly.
      WSU is not a P6 job anymore. The conference uncertainty can't help. Pullman is an out of the way place and WSU's athletic dept. is in the red. The fact that the coaching search honed in on a number of Big Sky and Summit coaches probably tells you that the salary is not PAC12/P6 commensurate and resources are being scaled back. It's probably still a step up job from SDSU or from a Big Sky job but not nearly as big a step as it used to be.

Comment

someone on the bobcat board said they read somewhere that the WSU offer was around $400k. I couldn't find anything to back that up, so I'm not sure how believable it is. $400k is a lot closer to the $189k (over $200k with incentives) that Logie earned last year compared to the the $1.5 million Kyle Smith this past year with WSU.

That $400k figure also goes against basically everything in this article which talks about the extent they went to to try and keep Smith - a significant pay raise and over $2.5 million raised in their basketball fund (for better non conf games, higher asst salaries, and more charter flights)

Forgot to mention that WSU just had their 10th player enter the portal
        Last edited by peavy; 04-02-2024, 03:47 PM.

Comment

The longer this Washington State thing goes on, the more worried I get. When it was posted this morning that the Montana State coach was no longer interested, another poster said that two other coaches had already turned the job down. Hoping that Hendo was one of them.

Comment

Goodman said they're "targeting" EWU's David Riley. Rothstein said they're "closing in on hiring" and "working in the direction of agreement"

the insider from Cougfan gave an update to the coaching search article this morning. The Hendo bit was as follows: "Smoke out of Pullman suggests Eric Henderson may no longer be under consideration. Of the known interviewees, that leaves David Riley of EWU and Will Conroy, formerly of UW."

The evening update from Cougfan said the interim AD has been in Indianapolis with the women's bball team, and she'll presumably make an announcement this week.

One other school to keep an eye on would be Saint Louis University. I believe it was the Drake board where someone suggested Hendo was a backup candidate for SLU (who has their eyes on Josh Schertz from Indiana State). There's nothing on the SLU board to verify this. Their final game (NIT Championship) is on Thursday.

The ripple effect from the future USC hiring may be worth observing.
            Last edited by peavy; 04-02-2024, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              The longer this Washington State thing goes on, the more worried I get. When it was posted this morning that the Montana State coach was no longer interested, another poster said that two other coaches had already turned the job down. Hoping that Hendo was one of them.
              What will be, will be. If WSU is offering $400 k, I'm not sure that's a whole lot less than SDSU is currently paying its head coach.
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

EWU's David Riley confirmed to Washington State.

Comment

congratulations to Clint Sargeant for being named the new HC at Wright State. happy for Clint and Jill and wish him the best!! that said, I think it might be a while before he follows his fellow former Jacks assistants, Rodgers and Margenthaler, in winning national championships))! how many former Nagy assistants or players are HC now? Margenthaler, Troy Larson, and Clint, is that all? Larson was a former Nagy assistant but was also a HC before coming to the Jacks, whereas Clint is obviously fully rooted in the Nagy philosophy.

the race is on
                  HC from the Stig tree- 1 NC
                  HC from the Nagy tree- 1 NC

Comment

With Eric Musselman taking the USC job, the Arkansas position is now open. Throwing together the names from various articles yields: Chris Beard (Ole Miss), Will Wade (McNeese State), Jerome Tang (Kansas State), Bucky McMillan (Samford), Buzz Williams (TAMU), Brad Underwood (Illinois), Grant McCasland (Texas Tech), Chris Jans (Mississippi State), Porter Moser (Oklahoma), Brian Dutcher (San Diego State), and Greg McDermott (Creighton).

The Sports Illustrated article that mentions McDermott suggests it may be too late for him as, "He reportedly signed a new contract with the Bluejays that puts him among the Top 20 highest paid coaches in America a few weeks ago." Rooting against McDermott and Tang (recruiting area familiarity? / Summit League connection with AD Gene Taylor) seem like good ideas to me.

Side note: Creighton assistant since 20021 and Mitchell native/Northern State alum, Ryan Miller, interviewed for the Fresno State job but was not named a finalist. I haven't followed his career, but with Creighton, he's now been an assistant coach at 7 locations and is still seeking his first HC gig.

other open positions in general: Cansius, Cornell, EWU, Fresno State, Long Beach State, Morehead State, SLU (soon to be Indiana State), South Carolina Upstate, UTRV, WKU, YSU

Comment

The contract information for new WSU coach David Riley has not been released, but the extension for MSU coach Matt Logie (who turned down the WSU job) has.

In the new four-year contract, the base salary has only increased by $8k-ish from $189.4k to $197k, but the contract is loaded with incentives. Many are similar to Hendo, but there are a few exceptions like $50k retention incentive payable July 1 each year, and the following scheduling incentives:
                      According to the 2024 contract, Logie can earn the same $85,000 [as was in 2023 contract] for generating revenue from guarantee games and assistants can receive the same $45,000, but Logie can also receive the next $80,000 as a bonus. Any remaining revenue would be retained by the university.

This was the SDSU buy/guarantee list from 2019 for reference where $254,000 was paid out (orange), and $480,000 was received (green) from host schools

** South Dakota State agreed to pay $80,000 per game to Basketball Promotions & Events LLC for the first and second round games of the 2019 Challenge in Music City that were hosted by South Dakota State.

source - has description of what total money paid column, guarantee column, etc mean

Seems like the scheduling strategy doesn't really change that much while trying to maintain a healthy OOS schedule: arrange some quality home and home's where presumably no $ is exchanged, find 3 non d1 games, add 1-3 buy in games where you are the recipient, find a 2-3 game MTE to participate in, and add 1-2 more games. In this case, it seems the Summit/Big Sky Challenge is really doing him a solid by occupying two games, one of which would have probably been a guarantee game where MSU would have needed to pay someone to come to them.

I don't know how many other universities use this model, but I thought it was interesting and maybe even something to mimic as Hendo is probably due for something as his interviews increase.
                      Last edited by peavy; 04-05-2024, 12:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post
                        The contract information for new WSU coach David Riley has not been released, but the extension for MSU coach Matt Logie (who turned down the WSU job) has.

In the new four-year contract, the base salary has only increased by $8k-ish from $189.4k to $197k, but the contract is loaded with incentives. Many are similar to Hendo, but there are a few exceptions like $50k retention incentive payable July 1 each year, and the following scheduling incentives:

This was the SDSU buy/guarantee list from 2019 for reference where $254,000 was paid out (orange), and $480,000 was received (green) from host schools

** South Dakota State agreed to pay $80,000 per game to Basketball Promotions & Events LLC for the first and second round games of the 2019 Challenge in Music City that were hosted by South Dakota State.

source - has description of what total money paid column, guarantee column, etc mean

Seems like the scheduling strategy doesn't really change that much while trying to maintain a healthy OOS schedule: arrange some quality home and home's where presumably no $ is exchanged, find 3 non d1 games, add 1-3 buy in games where you are the recipient, find a 2-3 game MTE to participate in, and add 1-2 more games. In this case, it seems the Summit/Big Sky Challenge is really doing him a solid by occupying two games, one of which would have probably been a guarantee game where MSU would have needed to pay someone to come to them.

I don't know how many other universities use this model, but I thought it was interesting and maybe even something to mimic as Hendo is probably due for something as his interviews increase.
                        Speaking of out of conference/league scheduling, I wonder how much more frequent games like the Northern Colorado one in Rapid on 11/14/24 will become.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

Speaking of out of conference/league scheduling, I wonder how much more frequent games like the Northern Colorado one in Rapid on 11/14/24 will become.
                          Its hard to imagine many teams being willing to play the Jacks in a one-off in Rapid City.

Comment

Originally posted by jakejc795 View Post

if this game is successful at drawing fans i hope they will attempt to expand the format by adding another Summit League team and finding two teams from out west and have each team play two OOC games. They might consider scheduling men and women on alternate years.
                            Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Originally posted by discoDancinRabbit View Post

Its hard to imagine many teams being willing to play the Jacks in a one-off in Rapid City.
                              I could see other Big Sky teams opting for that

Comment

Originally posted by West-River_Jack View Post

if this game is successful at drawing fans i hope they will attempt to expand the format by adding another Summit League team and finding two teams from out west and have each team play two OOC games. They might consider scheduling men and women on alternate years.
                                It would be cool to have them schedule a similar WBB game while Timmer is playing (maybe vs Utes so she and Ross can have a St. Thomas More reunion)

Comment

Working...
                                X