No announcement yet.

Silly Season is Beginning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the Seattle press on Friday, it sounded like the Washington State job was down to Shaw, the current assistant who isn't getting the job, and David Riley, the current coach at Eastern Washington ( Big Sky Co-Coach of the year ). We'll see how much they value West Coach recruiting connections. It appears that Hendo is the only one on the list that hasn't operated out in that area.

Comment

I chose to look at it this way..if we dont lose a few players and a coach now and then that want to move up it meant we had the wrong players and coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Justwin View Post
        I chose to look at it this way..if we dont lose a few players and a coach now and then that want to move up it meant we had the wrong players and coach.
        I hear you and i totally believe that is a valid perspective!! (not attempting to say that anyone needs validation from me. saying that i am not trying to say you are wrong!!)

my perspective is that I want us to have as many coaches as possible that are NOT looking for the next thing, the next better thing, or the next bigger thing. I want coaches who want to make the place they are at the next big thing!

Monson thought leaving Gonzaga for UM was the next big thing. Few thought he could make Gonzaga the next big thing

I would have to guess that AD Sell and all the parties that matter have / are considering IF staying in the Summit really honors all of the commitments we have made to continue growing our athletic programs and making the very best that they can be

as currently set up, it seems pretty obvious there is an unquestionable ceiling on the growth of our athletic programs (probably MBB more than any other) as long as we are in the Summit. I think based on what i already said, I have to guess they do and are looking at what if anything can be done to make the Summit bigger and better and remove or diminish that ceiling, but I would guess they also have to be looking at saying that the Summit was very good for us at one point in our D1 journey, but is no longer able to fulfill our goals as a University and an Athletic Program

i have no idea how much the state of SD attempts to keep us tied to USD? i am hoping there is zero push for that. it seems more than clear that the USD athletic program as a whole is not close to being equal to ours and NDSU and that if the state really wants us to make the most of the financial commitments that the state has already made to SDSU then we very likely will need to leave usd behind and maybe in a post SDSU and NDSU Summit league, USD could be the king

I believe what i am talking about, is the same type of thinking that caused us to leave what many thought was still a perfect situation in the NCC

Comment

It is down to Hendo and the EWU coach for the job in Pullman.

Comment

I agree Justwin. If you aren't constantly worrying about your players and coaches leaving you are finishing at the bottom of the league. Realize that losing players is also a selling point. If you have a gem they are going to get purchased. Point out to the next gem that we can get you where you want to go. It sucks, but I would rather have the best players for a few years than a bunch of USD guys for 4 or 5.
            One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Drake hired Ben McCollum from NW Missouri State

no real update to the WSU job other than to say that Hendo and Montana State coach (Matt Logie) may be pulling away from the rest of the candidates per an update to the article from their fan page/board

Comment

It looks like the Washington State job is being offered to Montana St. Head Coach, if he wants it.

https://x.com/MattNorlander/status/1...072033574?s=20
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                  It looks like the Washington State job is being offered to Montana St. Head Coach, if he wants it.

I just don't see how MSU's "big pay bump" can match a 1.1 million annual salary (WSU coach salary from 2019)

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post

National CBB writer Jeff Goodman tweeted within the hour that Logie and David Riley are the frontrunners. Makes sense as both of their rosters are loaded with West Coast players.

Comment

Originally posted by peavy View Post

I just don't see how MSU's "big pay bump" can match a 1.1 million annual salary (WSU coach salary from 2019)
                      Right. Although it's possible WSU's coaching budget might have contracted quite a bit with the PAC 12 breakup. Realistically, WSU will be playing basketball long term in either the WCC or MWC. What do those conferences pay basketball coaches? If Logie is married, my guess is that unless the money is out of this park, Mrs. Logie votes for Bozeman over Pullman.

Comment

Originally posted by jbjack View Post

Right. Although it's possible WSU's coaching budget might have contracted quite a bit with the PAC 12 breakup. Realistically, WSU will be playing basketball long term in either the WCC or MWC. What do those conferences pay basketball coaches? If Logie is married, my guess is that unless the money is out of this park, Mrs. Logie votes for Bozeman over Pullman.
                        They are going to the WCC. Having Gonzaga and St. Mary's there means the top end of the coaches are being paid well. Didn't WSU and OSU get to keep a significant chunk of the PAC 12 money ?

Comment

In my head they're still a p5, but even before the shake-up, fiscally speaking, WSU and OSU were at the bottom of the p5 schools. The WSU student paper says their athletic dept is $100 million in debt and owes another $140 million to external funders. According to the school's VP for Business and Financial Services, the athletic dept revenue may decrease by over $30 million.

I haven't been to Pullman, but it's apparently very isolated.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

They are going to the WCC. Having Gonzaga and St. Mary's there means the top end of the coaches are being paid well. Didn't WSU and OSU get to keep a significant chunk of the PAC 12 money ?
                            The departing schools settled with the "SUs"

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

The WCC is temporary though, isn't it? And Gonzaga and St. Mary's have small athletic departments to fund by comparison to the PAC 2 schools. And the remaining PAC dollars are temporary.

Comment

The WCC is temporary though, isn't it? And Gonzaga and St. Mary's have small athletic departments to fund by comparison to the PAC 2 schools. And the remaining PAC dollars are temporary.
                                In part because they do not have football.

Comment

Working...
                                X