No announcement yet.

GDT: SDSU vs ISU 6:35 CHI Health truTV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tonight's matchup highlights the importance of our nonconference games. We played an extremely tough schedule early and struggled. Had we done a little better early we could have easily been a 13 seed and possibly a 12. That would have obviously kept us away from ISU. An upset is still a long shot but the odds increase substantially vs. a 2/15 matchup.

No shame losing to ISU. They have a very legit shot of winning the whole thing. They are that good.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Tonight's matchup highlights the importance of our nonconference games. We played an extremely tough schedule early and struggled. Had we done a little better early we could have easily been a 13 seed and possibly a 12. That would have obviously kept us away from ISU. An upset is still a long shot but the odds increase substantially vs. a 2/15 matchup.

No shame losing to ISU. They have a very legit shot of winning the whole thing. They are that good.
      I was thinking the same thing. I don’t think the difference between a 15 seed and a 12 seed is that large. But the difference between a 2 seed (top 8 in the country) and a 5 seed is humongous.

Comment

As mentioned earlier, props to our team for this season. They never quit, never put their head down, just kept improving.

Props to Iowa State. They played extremely well last night. And I agree they were the beneficiary of some calls... they'd body zeke on the drive out to the 3 point line, and nothing...and we'd body their guard and it's a foul. I also thought the timing of some of those fouls was weird. Iowa state got away with some that led to fast breaks, and then smaller ones, with less contact, that we kept the ball on, they called.

But whatever, it wasn't the refs.

Someday, we'll run into a team that shoots poorly, and we'll start hot.. but it hasn't happened yet. Also, this Iowa state looks primed to make a run... we've had several of our matchups over the years make the Elite 8 and 2 who went to the National title game. (Gonzaga and Michigan). It just hasn't worked out yet. It can happen. And it will.

Props to Hendo and the staff for keeping the team together. Could have fell apart a couple times this season, and they seemed to make the right moves.

Next year could be a "transitional season". Losing 3 Long time players, and who knows with Zeke and Will? I sure hope they stay, but I'm sure they will get offers through backchannels.

Overall a very good season, and I'm proud to be a fan of this program.

Comment

Tough to come up short again in the tourney. This was just a rough matchup against a hot team that we would have a tough time beating if they didn’t shoot out of their minds for most of the game. I think you’d love to see a team take as many fade away mid range jumpers as Iowa state did but they seemed to nearly always fall. Couple that with us not hitting on a high percentage of really good looks from 3. If just looking at the shots we got vs the shots they took without seeing the result I would have thought we’d have a solid chance to win. Frustrating this hasn’t seemed to bounce our way in any tournament game.

Kudos to this group of seniors. Not the most athletically gifted or pure talent group we’ve had by any stretch but possibly one of the most competitive. Hard nosed D, smart play, and great teammates to make up being outsized and less athletic in most matchups. Those guys should be very proud of their jackrabbit careers. Will miss them!!

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
            Tough to come up short again in the tourney. This was just a rough matchup against a hot team that we would have a tough time beating if they didn’t shoot out of their minds for most of the game. I think you’d love to see a team take as many fade away mid range jumpers as Iowa state did but they seemed to nearly always fall. Couple that with us not hitting on a high percentage of really good looks from 3. If just looking at the shots we got vs the shots they took without seeing the result I would have thought we’d have a solid chance to win. Frustrating this hasn’t seemed to bounce our way in any tournament game.

Kudos to this group of seniors. Not the most athletically gifted or pure talent group we’ve had by any stretch but possibly one of the most competitive. Hard nosed D, smart play, and great teammates to make up being outsized and less athletic in most matchups. Those guys should be very proud of their jackrabbit careers. Will miss them!!
            The Jacks always seem to draw veteran teams with tournament experience. Oakland was fortunate to get matched up with a Kentucky team that plays a lot of freshmen.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
              As mentioned earlier, props to our team for this season. They never quit, never put their head down, just kept improving.

Props to Iowa State. They played extremely well last night. And I agree they were the beneficiary of some calls... they'd body zeke on the drive out to the 3 point line, and nothing...and we'd body their guard and it's a foul. I also thought the timing of some of those fouls was weird. Iowa state got away with some that led to fast breaks, and then smaller ones, with less contact, that we kept the ball on, they called.

But whatever, it wasn't the refs.

Someday, we'll run into a team that shoots poorly, and we'll start hot.. but it hasn't happened yet. Also, this Iowa state looks primed to make a run... we've had several of our matchups over the years make the Elite 8 and 2 who went to the National title game. (Gonzaga and Michigan). It just hasn't worked out yet. It can happen. And it will.

Props to Hendo and the staff for keeping the team together. Could have fell apart a couple times this season, and they seemed to make the right moves.

Next year could be a "transitional season". Losing 3 Long time players, and who knows with Zeke and Will? I sure hope they stay, but I'm sure they will get offers through backchannels.

Overall a very good season, and I'm proud to be a fan of this program.
              Tanner Castora recorded a YouTube video after the game with one of the Midco people and he sounded optimistic about Zeke and Will returning. Don't know if his opinion is any better than other media people, but he does seem to attend practices pretty often and seems to be friends with a number of athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

The Jacks always seem to draw veteran teams with tournament experience. Oakland was fortunate to get matched up with a Kentucky team that plays a lot of freshmen.
                I was going to post this same thing yesterday. that is not to say we have not played teams with key underclassmen, but I do believe every team we have played has had multiple key upperclass performers. also, even though we have often been a popular upset pick, that has been because of the quality of our teams, NOT because we had easy or likely upset opponents!!

Comment

Tanner Castora recorded a YouTube video after the game with one of the Midco people and he sounded optimistic about Zeke and Will returning. Don't know if his opinion is any better than other media people, but he does seem to attend practices pretty often and seems to be friends with a number of athletes.
                  Before the Summit League Tournement I heard through a distant cousin of Zeke's that he will be moving on. It may not happen, but ...
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Here's the video. I guess a cynic could say even this could serve to up any NIL enticement required to lure either/both players, but I sure hope Castora's assertions are accurate.

Comment

The reason the 605 Collective was launched is to keep our guys at home. Hopefully they do their job with all SDSU athletes.

Comment

Working...
                      X