GDT: Omaha vs SDSU 7pm Frost Arena SLN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Omaha vs SDSU 7pm Frost Arena SLN

The Mavs arrive with a 3-1 SL record. They have already defeated USD, UND, & NDSU with the only loss to Denver. They are currently 1-7 on the road with the lone win in Vermillion. Frankie Fidler is on fire in conference play. He is averaging 30+ points, 3 assists, & 6.5 boards. The other double digit scorers are Sutton & White. Transfer senior forward Davis has 10 blocks in the 4 conference games as players get a first look at his play. HC Crutchfield has the Mavs playing well early in conference. The last win in Frost for Omaha was 1/7/2017. Hendo's weekly report emphasized a need to reduce turnovers which seems to be one of the tender spots for the Jackrabbits. Ball movement & assists appear to be improving the past week. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Jacks getting killed on the offensive boards early.

Comment

The Mavs have no answer for Kyle III. Garry looking much better on offense tonight.

Comment

Appel seems to be regressing as the season progresses. Just way too careless with the ball.

Comment

Big crowd for a Thursday night with weather

Comment

Why the F do we insist on having Appel in the backcourt when we are trying to break a press.

Comment

Appel shouldn’t play at all

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post
                Appel shouldn’t play at all
                And I thought I overreact too much...
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Bad decision by Zeke after rolling his ankle led to a 5 point possession that turned the momentum around. Charlie was the difference maker in the last couple of minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                    And I thought I overreact too much...
                    Did you watch the game

Comment

Originally posted by salemjack View Post

Did you watch the game
                      Yes I did.
                      "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Charlie was important in last few minutes with offensive rebounds and free throws. Luke had some turnovers late that threatened the win. Luke did make some free throws. He was getting roughed up by the defense which should lead to an assist somewhere that did not evolve. WK3 had 5 assists as a result of double and triple team situations. The Mavs gave special attention to WK3 in an effort to quiet him. A couple of the refs gave Fidler the benefit of doubt on many situations which led to 12-12 at the line. If Fidler slipped, the whistle was blowing. Kelly Pfeifer did not get so whistle happy to have Fidler get the free points. The coaches for Omaha must have been getting hoarse crying for travel calls all game. Garry & Mayo did a solid job keeping track of Fidler. The Jackrabbits have a look of improvement on the offense. By the way, the Jackrabbits are tied with Denver for 1st place.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

I do agree Appel is trying to do too much. I think he’s trying to be a star on this team when he’s just better suited for a role player. The turnovers all season have been frequent whenever he puts the ball on the floor. He’s also limited in what he provides defensively and rebounding playing against more athletic players. His shooting percentage is also down significantly from prior years trying to take more difficult shots. I’d guess the team +/- is better when he’s not on the floor. I think he can contribute to the team this year just needs to be within his ability. That 40 point ORU game may have been the worst thing for him long term….

Comment

Appel can be a very good player, we've seen it. But it's been a struggle this season. Not only the turnovers, but the missed shots, and last night...when up four and Omaha had the ball, they just went around him to score.

WKIII is a man. He needs to be out there more. I know it's tough in tight games at the end with his FT shooting, but he makes a positive impact EVERY time he's in. Big Red hasn't shown much either...I'm ready for more Mors, TBH. If the other team is pressing and fouling like last night... Play Mors as your big, at least when we're taking it out from a timeout or FT. He can hit FT's and he's a better ballhandler.

Charlie was huge down the stretch...would like to see him get back in a shooting rhythm like he was early in the season.

Garry is making nice progress had some good minutes last night. So good to have Mims back! That has helped a bunch.

I don't mean to complain. I'm not a complainer. But Appel is being given a lot of leeway, that others are not given. He's capable, just needs to start rewarding the staff for the faith they are showing in him.

Comment

Hopefully Mayo learned a few things last night. 1) Don't drive with 8 seconds left in the half, let the clock tick down further. 2) That flagrant foul was WAAAY more costly than the 5 on 4 that would have resulted from his going to the floor because of his ankle.

I understand both situations on his part, it would be tough to pass up and open lay up at any point in a game. It would also be tough to just step out of a play when you get hurt and the guy is right there. Better to have those expeiences now than in the SLT.
                              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Working...
                              X