GDT: Norfolk State vs SDSU 6pm Don Haskins Center YouTube[Sun Bowl Association]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

Being pretty ordinary (5-6) at Wright State.
    Must be a tougher place to recruit

Comment

Frustrating. Got spoiled there for a while, felt we always had a really good chance to make the dance. If we make it this year that'll speak volumes for the Summit. Feel like we aren't very close to being competitive right now.

Comment

I’ve said this before but there’s little life to this program, seems like most of it was taken with that loss to Providence in the tournament. This program has not shown the ability to break through onto the national scene, and almost never wins marquee games outside of conference play. I don’t like being negative but I hope Henderson can turn things around, but if they keep playing like this into Summit play and it results in another early exit, there will be some serious questions that need to be answered.

Comment

it feels to me, at the end of the day, we have stopped being a good shooting team. historically we have usually been pretty darn good at shooting the ball

i really REALLY hope that i am wrong. i hope it is something that can be fixed!! but the superstitious old coach in me would have NEVER NEVER been ok with them changing Frost Arena. i know that is totally irrational and it has to be something else, but the fact is at this moment both the MBB and WBB were basically the best shooting team in the country last time we played in pre renovation Frost and shooting for both programs is getting continuously worse

assuming, however, that my irrational superstitions have nothing to do with it, maybe it is poor ball movement, maybe it is lack of player movement and offensive rhythm, maybe it is something else?? but at this moment it is a HUGE struggle to make the ball go through the hoop with anything resembling consistency for either program. girls have shown signs that this year struggles are mostly tied to playing some VERY GOOD teams OOC and being shorthanded. i suspect the girls could shoot the ball better when the level of competition comes down a notch. AJ has a very typical killer OOC schedule and none of them are taking the foot off the gas just because we are a bit crushed with injuries. i hope i am correct. the girls will look better and shoot better when they stop playing a ranked team every other game or more

the guys on the other hand???? Zeke is currently less than 33% from 3 and his FTs are still good at over 80% but that is a drop of WELL OVER 10% from where he was at this time last year- WHY? we have 10 players who have shot at least two FT. TeSlaa and Hastrieter both 0 for 2. obviously small sample size, but at least for Teslaa i know he was an incredible player against excellent competition in HS excellent scorer and very fundamentally sound. so i am even a little surprised at 0 for 2.
          of the other 8 only 3 are over 70%- honestly it is beyond mind boggling that way over half the team is shooting 65% or below from the FT line. and honestly seems a bit inexcusable

just to make that clear, SEVENTY PERCENT of the players who have shot at least two FT are shooting somewhere between below and WAY below 70%

i agree with the person who said Mors plays hard!! when i have been able to watch the team his effort has really stood out and seems to spark the team!!
          that said he absolutely needs to limit himself to the best shots
          he is under 35% from the field. 24% from 3. and just 65% from FT
          i thought shooting would be his best skill as a college player. he was an excellent shooter in HS unless my memory is very very bad

Alvarez FG% is OK at 40% FG not setting the world on fire but an acceptable number
          but FT 54% and 18% from 3
          the FT and 3 numbers are horrid but he is currently 7th in minutes so he is definitely not the biggest worry
          would his shooting improve with more opportunity? not impossible but i have some doubt. i would guess more accurate is that he could get more opportunity with some improvement in his shooting

Luke other numbers are ok but strange-

41% from 3 and 40% of his shots have been 3s
          on one hand 41% is a good number (second best on the team behind Charlie), but did we really want Luke to be shooting most of his shots from 3? and if both Luke and Nate are going to be stretch 4s shouldnt WK be playing more while they split time?

-but Luke is shooting under 53% on FT

it seems more and more that WK needs to get more minutes but one HUGE reason for him NOT to get more minutes is that he makes Shaq look like a good FT shooter((((( under 48%
          beyond that he has every bit the look of the next great Jackrabbit waiting to happen

Nate is taking the cake at under 43%

six players getting 20+ minutes a game and 3 shoot FT below 53%
          really dang close to impossible to believe
          the next two player in minutes both shoot 65% or less

if you think FT are some indicator of a team being good at shooting, and i do, then the jacks are not too good

we are doing ok from 3. not really special but solid. charlie and kalen are second and third in attempts and shooting 42% and 38.4% respectively. if Zeke is gonna continue to lead the team in 3pt attempts then he needs to get the % up from 32+

how many of our games do we win instead of lose this year if we stop giving away 5-10pts at the FT line?? and if we could play with a bit of a lead or at least a bit less game pressure maybe the shooting gets a bit more comfortable also??

the other unbelievable issue for the MBB is the continually getting beat on the boards. there is really no excuse for getting consistently beaten and often whooped on the boards

i am sure somebody could come up with some other issue, but i do feel like it can be as simple as start winning the rebounding and miss 5-10 less FT every game. at least it could be a good start
          Last edited by LetsGoRabbits; 12-22-2023, 12:51 AM.

Comment

Lots of gloom and doom around here. Too much, in my view. This remains a talented team. I think it will get things turned around for conference play. Coach Hendo indicated after the Norfolk State loss that some changes probably need to be made. It will be interesting to see how that translates into the North Dakota game on Dec. 31. For starters, I'm guessing there will be a change or two to the starting lineup.
            This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
              Lots of gloom and doom around here. Too much, in my view. This remains a talented team. I think it will get things turned around for conference play. Coach Hendo indicated after the Norfolk State loss that some changes probably need to be made. It will be interesting to see how that translates into the North Dakota game on Dec. 31. For starters, I'm guessing there will be a change or two to the starting lineup.
              I believe Mimsy's return will make a big difference. A lot of the recent issues relate to poor ball movement, and his return should help that. It will be interesting to see if they might play more 4 guard lineups, especially against teams that don't have a lot of size.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                The one thing different in the rotation will be the return of Matt Mims barring any unexpected setbacks. WK3 has seen many minutes regardless of the starting position. He may crack the starting 5, but I do not see that as a big improvement as he has been very solid. Mors may be on the floor more, but it would surprise me if he is inserted to starting. I hope to see more movement by all the players and ball movement on offense.
                Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Working...
                X