Summit League Tournament Pairings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Summit League Tournament Pairings

Pretty happy we clinched the #2 seed. With 2 more games in the regular season would still like to win out. Will be interesting how the UMKC and ORU games goes for us.

Friday night at the SLT will be fun basketball to see regardless of their rankings.
    It's just an old Army trick I learned in the Navy.

Originally posted by rabbitfarmer View Post
    Pretty happy we clinched the #2 seed. With 2 more games in the regular season would still like to win out. Will be interesting how the UMKC and ORU games goes for us.

Friday night at the SLT will be fun basketball to see regardless of their rankings.
    I wish I could share your enthusiasm

Comment

Am still not a fan of allowing St. Thomas in before they would be eligible to play in the Big Dance should they win in Sioux Falls. I get wanting every team to play, but should have went with 8 vs 9 play-in games until St. Thomas is fully eligible.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
        Am still not a fan of allowing St. Thomas in before they would be eligible to play in the Big Dance should they win in Sioux Falls. I get wanting every team to play, but should have went with 8 vs 9 play-in games until St. Thomas is fully eligible.
        I was wondering the other day if they were eligible. I thought the 5 years went by pretty quick if they were.

I do agree though. They shouldn't get to play until they can play in the big dance. If they make the final there really isn't much suspense not to mention they push teams down the seed line.

Comment

It is a change from the year 2007-08 when WBB Jackrabbits won the conference and WBB bison had 3rd during the regular season. Neither team participated in the games at Tulsa where ORU punched their ticket to the NCAA tourney. The Jackrabbits caught the WNIT game as they had not completed the 5 year transition until 2008-09 when they made the first NCAA tourney appearance following the conference tourney win. It does muddy the water some if St Thomas advances and they are ineligible to compete for the next 4 SLT.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

And it would be an embarrassment to the Summit League if St. Thomas would win in Sioux Falls. The national narrative would be that the second place team that gets in the Dance wasn't even the best team in the conference. Most people think that it won't be an issue because the Tommies won't win the tournament, but if they would win twice this weekend in North Dakota, they would be the 3 seed. And stranger things have happened than a 3 seed winning the tournament.

Comment

First, there won't be a national narrative. It's the Summit league, no one cares. At most there will be a comment made by some slapdick on ESPN as a dozen people rush the floor. Second, they are part of the conference, let them play. You want to punch a ticket, earn it. Third, winning the league tournament might give them a real chance at participating in other post-season tournaments. Wouldn't be fair to deny them that opportunity.
              One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Shouldn't playing the regular season mean anything? That's ok you didn't win any games during the year you still get to come to the year end party. Don't kid yourself this is about $$ and that's it.

Comment

I like the extra games. It is more revenue for the Summit(is that bad?) and probably the driving force behind the added night/games sure. Im all for anything that gives the top 2 seeds slightly more of an advantage - which it does given the back to back games/nights for the lower seeded teams. Maybe the advantage is slight but there is one. Do we say lose to Western a few years ago when they were the 8 if off a back to back? Maybe has an impact.

I dont agree with the regular season doesnt matter argument either. Teams are playing to be in the top 6 to avoid that Friday night game, which is pretty important, as opposed to playing for the top 8 and making the tourney. This probably actually puts more teams on that bubble playing more meaningful games than just one or two teams at the bottom. Also playing for the top 2 for that little added advantage of playing a team on a back to back as well as getting Sunday off. It doesnt change the regular season importance really at all IMO its just at a different tier.

The extra cost for the all session tickets is a negative but we all have the option of not getting them if the tickets get too expensive. This is the norm in conference tourneys across the country for a reason.

Comment

I agree with this. The league really watered down the value of the regular season by letting all 10 teams in the tourney, including one that is not eligible to advance to the Big Dance. It's my understanding that if St. Thomas wins the conference tourney, the league's regular season champ, Oral Roberts, would advance. St. Thomas would not be eligible for the NIT, either. The conference must have really wanted to add another money-making day to the tourney.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

Anyone got a most recent update of seeding scenarios before tonight's Coyote game?

Comment

Coyotes beat KC and will play NDSU in the 3-6 matchup next Sunday night. KC falls into 7th slot and will play Friday night.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                          Coyotes beat KC and will play NDSU in the 3-6 matchup next Sunday night. KC falls into 7th slot and will play Friday night.
                          without Allen, it wont be a huge surprise if KC loses the 7 v 10 game

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

without Allen, it wont be a huge surprise if KC loses the 7 v 10 game
                            You have to feel sorry for KC - they were a competitive team before all the injuries. Saw a tweet from one of their assistants that said they've lost 3 starters with broken bones and another needing knee surgery in the last few weeks.

Comment

It looks like the Jacks will play the winner of the 7-10 game, KC vs Omaha, on Saturday night.
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X