No announcement yet.

GDT: Jackrabbits vs Leathernecks 2pm Western Hall GoLeathernecks.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should never have went to OT - Zeke should have been shooting 3 with no time left. Jacks quit attacking when WIU put on the press. Became way too passive.

Comment

That is disheartening. Guys fought hard. Just not enough energy left at the end and some unfortunate calls that made it worse. Hope we bounce back Monday.

Comment

Brutal game. Lots of tough calls against the Jacks and/or **not** against the Necks. I think I agree that at the end the guys were just out of gas...and some loss of composure at the end, too.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

3 road games in 5 days with UND and NDSU at Frost later in the week. Need Charlie and hopefully Ariens back soon. What is the status of Fiegen?

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            Should never have went to OT - Zeke should have been shooting 3 with no time left. Jacks quit attacking when WIU put on the press. Became way too passive.
            A couple missed shots at the rim when WIU was pressing made the difference, could held them off there around the 4 min mark and instead momentum continued for WIU.
            it'll be OK, playing for 2nd and Jack's end the regular season withe a BUNCH of games at home

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakPirate View Post
              3 road games in 5 days with UND and NDSU at Frost later in the week. Need Charlie and hopefully Ariens back soon. What is the status of Fiegen?
              Available I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post

A couple missed shots at the rim when WIU was pressing made the difference, could held them off there around the 4 min mark and instead momentum continued for WIU.
                it'll be OK, playing for 2nd and Jack's end the regular season withe a BUNCH of games at home
                yeah the blocked dunk stands out. usually i think if you can dunk it, that is the way to go. kind of the dont mess around approach just finish with authority, but i think if matt had layed that one on the board there was no way for the defender in front of the rim to get to it. but that is just debating details, or i think they call it rearranging deck chairs on the titanic

we did a good job breaking the press but seemed to almost be too calm. we were kind of moving in slow motion on offense

not a ton of options, but maybe a bit too much reliance on isolating Zeke kind of took our energy away?? maybe??

obviously when you go to OT any play that would give you one more point or take one away from them would make the difference. the plays that really stood out to me were the giving them 3 extra possessions. the O board that bounced off multiple players, we never grabbed, and into thier hands for a layup. the foul on WK when he has inside position and Zeke got the board (questions about number of fouls aside. it does not even matter if he fouls out there as long as we had possession, but the foul obviously gave the ball back to WIU) the attempts at replay were terrible!!! but WK did have inside position and in a half where i believe they were only called for 6 fouls, i have a LOT of doubt about WK fouling the guy behind him

finally the 5 second call. did the play seem weird to any of you? it seemed like the ref double clutched on giving Mohrs the ball or something. maybe it was just glitchy video but everything about that play looked off

disappointing to give up two killer O boards late when we have been MUCH better on the boards lately. of course not having AA and playing really 6 guys does not help late game rebounding, but excuses dont get you Ws

oh yeah and also i would love to see a good replay of WHAT caused Zeke to lose the ball on the last possession?? great D tipping the ball away?? or hand on the arm? i could not see it well but it sure was a surprise

Comment

These last 2 road games show the importance of Ariens on this team. He doesn't pad the stats too much but having him on the floor makes a big difference and he's another guy beside Zeke who is capable of getting his own shot. He usually picks his spots and adds a few key buckets. I hope he is back soon.

And yes, Monday in KC just became a huge game.
                  The Zen philosopher Basha once wrote, 'A flute with no holes, is not a flute. A donut with no hole, is a Danish.'

Comment

Losing these games without AA sucks, but as long as we are opposite of ORU in the SLT I will be completely fine. If these guys are hot going into the SLT we can win it, it would just be easier with ORU on the other side. Blue house for the championship could be the difference if we can get there

Comment

Originally posted by JackrabbitGuy View Post
                      These last 2 road games show the importance of Ariens on this team. He doesn't pad the stats too much but having him on the floor makes a big difference and he's another guy beside Zeke who is capable of getting his own shot. He usually picks his spots and adds a few key buckets. I hope he is back soon.

And yes, Monday in KC just became a huge game.
                      And it's been so long since Charlie has played that we have forgotten what he brings to the table. While he's been out, Mims has developed into a very good defender so we can then have two on the floor together. Plus Charlie's three point shooting will help spread the floor.

Comment

And it's been so long since Charlie has played that we have forgotten what he brings to the table. While he's been out, Mims has developed into a very good defender so we can then have two on the floor together. Plus Charlie's three point shooting will help spread the floor.
                        Also, they can spell eachother, which ensures that there is always a fresh lockdown defender in the face of someone like Massner or Abmas. That definitely was not the case in the last 5:00 of the game yesterday.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post

Also, they can spell eachother, which ensures that there is always a fresh lockdown defender in the face of someone like Massner or Abmas. That definitely was not the case in the last 5:00 of the game yesterday.
                          Once Charlie gets into game shape, it will be interesting to see in Hendo goes with a 4 guard lineup like last season, or if he stays with 2 bigs and 3 guards.

Comment

Once Charlie gets into game shape, it will be interesting to see in Hendo goes with a 4 guard lineup like last season, or if he stays with 2 bigs and 3 guards.
                            would Hendo start that group?? but it seems pretty sure we will see it and maybe a lot. BUT, in the past when we went to that we were putting an experienced guy on the bench (Dent) because that group was super talented AND you could get away with it because AA is 6'4 and BS is 6'6 or more

if we go to it this year we will not be putting a player of Dent's experience and quality on the bench. i would think a big reason for it would be to get our 5 most experienced guys on the floor and put the 4 freshman on the bench, maybe in some moments when experience could be valuable

AA has very effectively guarded power forwards his entire career, including 6'11 Nelson from NDSU in the SLT final last year. BS probably not as good a defender as AA but could hold his own guarding most of the 4s we had to deal with

it is MUCH different with Mims, i think listed at 6' or 6'1 and pretty sure Charlie is listed 6'2. IDK if those are real heights or program roster heights?? but i think it is fair to say they are both on the smallish side even for PGs let alone any other position. that said they both fight like pitbulls and do all they can to make a positive difference. and there is zero question they have both been excellent defenders for us!! it is just a bit of a challenge to give up that much size possibly at both guard positions and it also means Zeke is probably guarding a forward and AA is always guarding a forward. again AA has done it a lot but you are almost guaranteed to give up a significant size advantage at FOUR of five positions

not trying to say i am for or against, or that it is good or bad. (my guess and i would say almost a fact, it will have advantages and disadvantages. will the payoff be more meaningful than the price?) and it might prove to be one of our more effective lineups?? but it will definitely be different than going 4 guards with Zeke, Charlie, AA, and BS. you cannot just say well playing 4 guards worked for us before so we are gonna do it again. it worked very well with those 4 guards AND you also had Doug as the lone post and he is one of the best overall defensive players we have ever had. in just my opinion, he was just a very VERY rare talent on the defensive end and he could give a lot of help covering shortcomings of others, in a way that our current posts can not

Comment

No consolation for Saturday, but Iowa State and Otz just coughed up a 23 point second half lead at Texas Tech, who was winless in the Big 12.

Comment

No consolation for Saturday, but Iowa State and Otz just coughed up a 23 point second half lead at Texas Tech, who was winless in the Big 12.
                                WOW that might leave a little scar

I am still annoyed by "the ones that got away" and i have been out of coaching since 2013

coulda, shoulda, woulda, is of course worth absolutely NOTHING!! but i totally believe the jacks go 3 and OH on this road trip with nothing more than the addition of AA

if Charlie is supposed to play on Thursday, it makes me wonder how much thought there was if he could have maybe given a few minutes tonight at least if not earlier. totally respect them NOT forcing him back before he is totally ready and it very much reinforces the fact that this team and athletic program put the welfare of each individual person ahead of Ws and Ls!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X