GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Kent State Flashes 6pm CST M.A.C. Center ESPN3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: SDSU Jackrabbits vs Kent State Flashes 6pm CST M.A.C. Center ESPN3

Kent State is 5-2 with a couple of recent road losses at Charleston & #2 Houston. They played Houston to 49-44. The Flashes are currently rated #5 in the Mid Major poll. The Flashes are the MAC preseason choice to win the conference. They return 10 players from last season including a couple of preseason team players led by the point guard Sincere Carry. 12th season head coach is Rob Senderoff who is the all-time winningest coach for that program. The Flashes have several transfers on the roster, but 6'8" RS Sr Thomas appears to be the only big contributor from that group. The Flashes and Jackrabbits played once on November 10, 2006 where Kent State won 105-50. That could be the worst loss in MBB Jackrabbit history. Tonight would be a great time to avenge that stomping from 2006. Go Jacks!!
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Kent State is 5-2 with a couple of recent road losses at Charleston & #2 Houston. They played Houston to 49-44. The Flashes are currently rated #5 in the Mid Major poll. The Flashes are the MAC preseason choice to win the conference. They return 10 players from last season including a couple of preseason team players led by the point guard Sincere Carry. 12th season head coach is Rob Senderoff who is the all-time winningest coach for that program. The Flashes have several transfers on the roster, but 6'8" RS Sr Thomas appears to be the only big contributor from that group. The Flashes and Jackrabbits played once on November 10, 2006 where Kent State won 105-50. That could be the worst loss in MBB Jackrabbit history. Tonight would be a great time to avenge that stomping from 2006. Go Jacks!!
    Wanting to confirm your theory of worst loss (not to prove you wrong --- just sparked a curiosity itch) - I began looking back through the seasons. Makes you realize how lucky we are as a fan base following this team.

Over the last 10 years of 329 games, there have only been two losses worse than 30 points ('17-18 at Kansas, '13-14 at Stanford), and only seven by greater than 20 points.

Extending the search to 20 years and 669 games jumps that number up more quickly.... There were 6 pretty rough losing seasons during the D1 transition from 2004-2010. 2006-2007 was the worst, going 6-24, with the Kent State loss of 55, and loss at Montana by 40. So, over the 20 year stretch there were 10 losses greater than 30 points, and 36 losses greater than 20 points. Still... only 36 "bad" losses of more than 20 points over 669 games.... That's really not too bad at all!!

At that point, I got tired of of looking through individual games and seasons, and instead looked up the History Book/Media Guide... page 20 quickly confirms the Kent State loss of 55 points was in fact the worst margin in Jackrabbit history.

Great day to avenge that! Looks to be a tough game... gotta take care of the ball and get some shots to fall!

Comment

Sounds like a very salty opponent.

Let's hope the team has gotten in the lab, and worked on the turnover issues, and gained some efficiency of the offensive end.

A good performance here could be the turning point of the season.

Comment

Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Offense is a hot mess.

Comment

If someone asked me what the strengths of our men’s team were this year, I’m not sure I’d know anything to list. Our coaches honestly look clueless on the sideline with what to change.

Comment

Yah, boy, just disjointed. Not making wide open shots is part of it.. I have faith it'll turn around come conference time, but sure isn't fun to watch like it has been the past couple years, every basket seems laborsome. Oh well, different kinda game I guess

Comment

There is no pace and flow on offense. Wonder what practices are like. I was expecting a step back but this is rough.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I suspect the exceedingly rough early schedule is really affecting the team.
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Not sure that a schedule this road heavy would have been a good idea even with the veteran team they had last year. Don't seem to be playing with a lot of energy. Hopefully ending with three winnable home games before conference starts builds up some confidence.

Comment

There were some better things tonight. 3 point shooting was 47.6% on 10-21 shots. Turnovers were less than appeared as I would have thought greater than 12. Te Slaa and Mors were larger contributors. On the other hand, Dent & WK3 were 6-21 from the field. They were not picking up fouls or kicking the ball out often either. The Jackrabbit bigs are getting double teamed most every time. The freshmen are going to be very effective this year. The team must do better at the beginning of a game. Tomorrow the Alabama defense will likely be more intense than the Golden Flashes.

Comment

Not liking the way we are playing but a little perspective….

Last years team was 1-3 in true road games non conference. 2-3 if you count Washington state in Spokane. 1-3 included a 14 point loss to Idaho a 300 plus RPI team and a 12 point loss to Missouri state which is probably equivalent in talent to a Kent state.

How would have last years team held up with this very very difficult schedule? Realistically maybe a game better but quite possibly not any better at all. Non conference road games in college basketball are overwhelmingly won by the home team. Factor in playing against top 25 and likely league winning teams and you’ve got yourself an uphill battle. This team will be fine come summit play but we may have bit off a little more than we can chew non conference.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                          There were some better things tonight. 3 point shooting was 47.6% on 10-21 shots. Turnovers were less than appeared as I would have thought greater than 12. Te Slaa and Mors were larger contributors. On the other hand, Dent & WK3 were 6-21 from the field. They were not picking up fouls or kicking the ball out often either. The Jackrabbit bigs are getting double teamed most every time. The freshmen are going to be very effective this year. The team must do better at the beginning of a game. Tomorrow the Alabama defense will likely be more intense than the Golden Flashes.
                          I agree with and like everything you said. i mean hey everyone, we are NOT getting an at large bid, so these games are really NOT about wins and losses (i know it impacts seeding too, but barring a 1 vs 16 that really comes down to matchup and location) these games are about GETTING BETTER. and i agree with OH i think the team made strides tonight

the posts struggled more than they have, but some of that was due to trying to force more inside action (being WAY MORE judicious on 3 pt shot selection), and the aggressive help defense from KSU. i am NOT sure Alabama will be more intense, for sure they will be more talented (they recently knocked off the number one team for crying out loud of course they have more talent than KSU) but KSU on the other hand just held Houston, the NEW #1 team, to only 49pts. their D is pretty good. also WK looked much better in the second half!

and we had only 12 TO against that D and we also scored 68, compared to the 49 that Houston scored against them. it would be great to pull the HUGE upset tomorrow, but if we just continue from tonight the decreased TOs and the better inside / outside shot selection and shoot over 40% again from 3 that is going to be a very successful two games in two days road trip (I know we have another road game a couple days after Bama)

biggest thing i would like to see improved from tonight is the rebounding. probably like Zeke to have a game with under 4 TO but i thought he showed improvement in that area too- not gonna get into the details of why

overall i thought almost everyone did some good things tonight and showed improvement individually and as a team. hopefully they can build on that tomorrow, despite the travel, the opponent, and the 2nd game in back to back days

GO RABBITS

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
                            Not liking the way we are playing but a little perspective….

Last years team was 1-3 in true road games non conference. 2-3 if you count Washington state in Spokane. 1-3 included a 14 point loss to Idaho a 300 plus RPI team and a 12 point loss to Missouri state which is probably equivalent in talent to a Kent state.

How would have last years team held up with this very very difficult schedule? Realistically maybe a game better but quite possibly not any better at all. Non conference road games in college basketball are overwhelmingly won by the home team. Factor in playing against top 25 and likely league winning teams and you’ve got yourself an uphill battle. This team will be fine come summit play but we may have bit off a little more than we can chew non conference.
                            i like what you are saying. and the points are totally valid!! everything you are saying about the schedule and non conference road games is true

that said i all but guarantee last year group wins the Akron game and the JMU game, and DOES NOT drop a home game to SFA. i would not guarantee they win the game tonight, but i think they beat this team 6 out of 10 or maybe a little more. if you flip those 4 you are sitting at a VERY impressive 7 and 1 with the only loss to ranked Arkansas in the second game of a 2 games in 2 days away from home. maybe the more entertaining question (since Doug was gone no matter what) is what they would have done if you just add Baylor

NONE of that matters. that team aint here. but i do enjoy those type of comparisons and discussions!!

again the spirit of your comments, at least in my perspective, SPOT ON!! we are playing a VERY tough schedule and LOTS of teams take their lumps in OOC road games unless they INTENTIONALLY schedule a bunch of cupcakes. aaahhh??? NOPE no cupcakes for Hendo and the boys this year

Comment

Some very good points being made here and basically overall for some reason I feel there’s a lot of positives!

I’m saying this because I don’t think the team is going to fall apart in spite of the excessive travel for one thing. When December 6th game with Montana is over I have the Jack’s traveling roughly 14,000 miles with 1 game at Frost and 9 games away! This is insane and if a team can stay together through that, the future should be pretty dang bright!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X