SDSU vs JMU 11am CT Enmarket Arena/Savannah Ga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    I don't think our guard play is the issue. We got 9 points from the bench and gave up 33 points on 21 turnovers. They got 46 points in the paint. Dentlinger 1-4, Mors 0-2, Lien 0-2, Appel 0-1. We have to get more production from our posts outside of Kyle who was 5-6 from the field and 5-6 from the line. A lot of turnovers were cross court passes that were intercepted. Curious how many turnover from Mors, Dentlinger and Appel.
    Mors-1, Dent-4 and Appel-2. Mayo had 5.

Comment

I get the impression that Appel's foot problem is a chronic issue. Coach Hendo has said in the past that Luke is day to day, and that never seems to change. That puts more pressure on Dentlinger and Kyle. They're the only other true, inside players the Jacks have. Mors, Lien and Fiegen seem to prefer the outside, and the other seven guys on the roster are guards.
      This space for lease.

Comment

A couple weeks ago (on one of the podcasts) Zimmer said he had heard that Appel was very close to taking a redshirt year. If it was really that bad, I wouldn't expect him to contribute like he has in the past.

It's pretty clear by now that this year is going to be one where non-con wins are just a bonus and we just try to enjoy a much more chaotic, exciting, unpredictable Summit League season. Some of last year's bottom of the conference looks improved and the top is way down. A 15/16 seed will be waiting for whomever comes out of Sioux Falls. That should be fun, at least.

Comment

Originally posted by tbjack View Post
          Going to be difficult without a guy you can trust as a primary ball handler. We maybe thought that would be Mayo but he's not a distributer more of just a scorer - he's just not great at creating offense for others and when he tries has a high number of turnovers. Arians/Easly/Mims are.a little less athletic and not well suited to be that guy although great players if able to play within a designated role. We probably have to move to a very post dominated team but do a much better job handling double teams. It just doesnt work having this group of guards trying to create offense IMO as it doesnt play to their strengths.

We will complete in the Summit but by default. We will have losses though and probably plenty of them but still in the top couple in the league. Your opponent makes you look much better or worse and we will look better against Summit teams. Tough non conference with JMU clearly a quality team.
          in my perspective, this is largely correct. EXCEPT i think that we probably have guys who would do fine as a primary ball handler / facilitator or offense manager. 3 years ago AA was the PG for almost the whole year and he was between effective and really good

the difference- 3 years ago we had the best versions of Doug and Noah and a not yet developed but still sometimes very good Baylor. AA is definitely good enough to be the starting PG on a team that has an offensive identity and a place to go with the ball. and i think charlie and possibly mims are in the same boat or very close

I wonder if the coaches thought that Zeke would be ready to be THE GUY by this year?? GOTTA believe at this time last year they were not planning to be playing this year with NONE of Doug, Baylor, or Noah. When Noah was at his best, he was easily in the conversation with Doug, Baylor, Max, and Griesel for first team all conference and potential POY. put baylor and noah on this team and every one of the current players looks better. probably either one of them and it has pretty much the same impact. but my grandpa always used to say there is no use looking up a dead horses rear end, and that horse is definitely dead

i believe they will be competitive in league games and could definitely beat anyone. if something does not change they could also probably drop some games that will feel like they should not

could somebody become a number one?? maybe, but i would guess the best bet is that the identity is gonna have to be on the defensive end of the floor. they are gonna have to really commit to holding other teams down and they need to start owning the boards
          those type of teams often play lower possession games. so far this team is not showing that they could slow down and get shots later in the shot clock without turning the ball over, but they could probably figure it out

i still think this team is gonna figure something out and be better, but at the moment it is tough to guess what that is going to look like. could they find a way to come out on top of the conference. i will say i still think they could figure a few seemingly small things out and develop some momentum and get it done, but more likely they come in behind ORU. and if they continue to struggle they could fall to maybe 3rd. i think someone besides ORU and USD would have to put up a surprising season or the jacks would have to completely fall apart to finish worse than 3rd. but like Daum's sophomore year all that really matters is that they figure it out by tourney time
          fans were thinking lots of bad things at this time in that year too, but the difference is that team had THE GUY. they did not need to figure that out. this team needs to figure out who is the guy or how to win without that.

Comment

Originally posted by Southeast View Post
            A couple weeks ago (on one of the podcasts) Zimmer said he had heard that Appel was very close to taking a redshirt year. If it was really that bad, I wouldn't expect him to contribute like he has in the past.

It's pretty clear by now that this year is going to be one where non-con wins are just a bonus and we just try to enjoy a much more chaotic, exciting, unpredictable Summit League season. Some of last year's bottom of the conference looks improved and the top is way down. A 15/16 seed will be waiting for whomever comes out of Sioux Falls. That should be fun, at least.
            that is interesting. it seems very obvious that he is far from healthy. and he is a somewhat undersized post. a foot injury robs him of explosiveness and his normal footwork/ best post moves. like i said i am sure at this time last year the coaches did not expect to be playing today without Baylor and Noah and had to be thinking that Appel would be taking up as much of the slack from losing Doug as possible. so they are definitely shorthanded

i wonder if there is any continued consideration of a redshirt?? it they are thinking about it, he would have to shut it down pretty quick. i am pretty sure that both Macy and Myah got a redshirt after playing in about 9 games. i do not claim expertise but i think that is about as far as it could go

Comment

A big part of the issue offensively is that we have been running a four guard offense for most of the time since Hendo has been head coach. Running two bigs is a different ballgame. Going back to four guards would mean starting Mims, which would leave TeSlaa as the only guard off the bench, since it appears Garry is redshirting. Which probably means continuing what we are doing, and working things out on the fly.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJacks2011 View Post

The non-conference travel schedule is brutal. I get we need to play good teams and to get them to come to Frost is tough. However, playing back to back nights across the country and traveling so far from game to game just does not seem wise. Kyle III was the only encouraging spot to me today. He has so much potential. I continue to think the talent is there. Just a lack of identity and discipline at this point. Keep watching for improvement every game but not seeing it so far.
                I’m not sure how much control Hendo has in the schedule but this OOC schedule was a mistake for this team. Unreasonable travel coupled with some high level competition does not help a team that needs to find an identity.

There is a fine line between challenging the team vs destroying confidence. I’m getting concerned we’re going to do the latter with this schedule.

Comment

They may have been surprised about Baylor leaving, which I predicted he would do, but they ran Noah off the team so that is on Coach Henderson.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    A big part of the issue offensively is that we have been running a four guard offense for most of the time since Hendo has been head coach. Running two bigs is a different ballgame. Going back to four guards would mean starting Mims, which would leave TeSlaa as the only guard off the bench, since it appears Garry is redshirting. Which probably means continuing what we are doing, and working things out on the fly.
                    the last two years it has been a lot of 4 guards and more so last year. Hendo first year, Doug and Dent started every game that Doug was healthy i am pretty sure. we played a lot of two posts and those two did a fantastic job of passing to each other and also to cutting guards and to guards spotting up

i would have to go back and look. i definitely could be wrong, but i think they also started every game in the covid year as long as doug was healthy- meaning the games he was healthy enough to play, since he played hurt pretty much all year

i think it was last year that Dent was moved out of the starting lineup, but maybe it was somewhere in the covid year, but i doubt it with Doug being hurt that year

the two posts thing can work just fine but, these posts do not pass as well as those. AND the guards not knocking down open 3s at the same rate and not protecting the ball as well. the posts play better when the guards play better and vice versa. they are all connected. they need someone to step up and be the guy so that they know where they are going to go with the ball when they have to have a bucket OR they need to figure out quickly in the game who is gonna be the guy on a given night. example- when Appel had the 41 last year. when he was in the game they knew they were just going to him and he was gonna score or make the defense adjust so much to open somebody else up

Comment

Originally posted by mr76 View Post
                      They may have been surprised about Baylor leaving, which I predicted he would do, but they ran Noah off the team so that is on Coach Henderson.
                      i had / have NO INTENTION of re hashing WHAT happened there because none of us really know.

all i said was that AT THIS TIME last year they were likely NOT expecting to be playing without any of the 3 most talented players from last years roster and pretty much without Appel

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I’m not sure how much control Hendo has in the schedule but this OOC schedule was a mistake for this team. Unreasonable travel coupled with some high level competition does not help a team that needs to find an identity.

There is a fine line between challenging the team vs destroying confidence. I’m getting concerned we’re going to do the latter with this schedule.
                        I dont know how much control he has either, but i think it is a significant amount

to the degree any of the scheduling was done or discussed last year, they anticipated having some other players back
                        to the degree it was made over the spring and summer, i think a person could guess they were expecting this group of players to perform a little better in the OOC part of this season then they have to this point

of course your concern is valid. but that is kind of how life and sports work. opportunities and difficulties usually come as a pair. i am willing to guess and believe they will get things figured out well enough to have a shot come tourney time, but i think you are right it is definitely a possibility that they do not

Comment

WK3 is going to be the guy who will receive most of the lobs that Doug flushed in the past years and Doug was also the guy who could toss the lob to others as needed. WK3 is still working on the receiving end and Zeke is still working on his end as well.. This part of the game will get better as the team timing evolves. The book to play the Jackrabbits is double team the ball which also pushes the ball further from the basket. The guards had 14 of the 21 TO in the game. The passing lanes close quickly if the ball stops and the double team arrives. The bigs had trouble when they put the ball on the floor and the double team is there. The Summit is likely to have less of that pressure unless the Jackrabbits fail to adapt to pressure defense and those coaches find that problem. Hendo and the coaches likely can tweak the offense for that huge weakness. Broden Lien is getting some floor time and he brings raw strength inside even though some may consider his preference to be on the perimeter. Appel seems frustrated since he must not be able to create with his hard cuts and pivots in the lane. Te Slaa looks to be as ready as any player to warm up his shot. He is still learning the speed of this game coming from smaller schools in Iowa. MIms & Easley both shot well combining for 6-11 but only shooting 3 FT between them. The team only attempted 11 FT which very low compared to the 20+ in the first 6 games. Overall the 21 turnovers leading to 33 points for the Dukes was the difference in the game. The WBB started out last season OOC 4-7 and they had a decent recovery for the year. Baylor is gone, Doug is gone, and Noah is gone. The Jackrabbits will recover as the losses are put into perspective and the therapy sessions will be work harder in practice to get better. It is a bit early to hang the head and feel sorry for yourself.
                          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post

I am thinking this also! And the next trip is going to be very brutal. At least after December 6 we will have three games at home before playing Oral Roberts!
                            Shouldn’t there be some type of regulations as to how much travel between games that there can be. These are student athletes, not just athletes…that’s a big difference!!
                            Maybe our six players that have a lot of experience and tons of minutes played can keep a hold of things a little bit for the next week or so!

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

I dont know how much control he has either, but i think it is a significant amount

to the degree any of the scheduling was done or discussed last year, they anticipated having some other players back
                              to the degree it was made over the spring and summer, i think a person could guess they were expecting this group of players to perform a little better in the OOC part of this season then they have to this point

of course your concern is valid. but that is kind of how life and sports work. opportunities and difficulties usually come as a pair. i am willing to guess and believe they will get things figured out well enough to have a shot come tourney time, but i think you are right it is definitely a possibility that they do not
                              The only player they should have anticipated coming back is Baylor. Noah was as good as gone around Xmas last year and I’ll bet the coaches knew that. But you’re right it’s
                              gotta be tough to balance the difficulty of the schedule with so many variables.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                                WK3 is going to be the guy who will receive most of the lobs that Doug flushed in the past years and Doug was also the guy who could toss the lob to others as needed. WK3 is still working on the receiving end and Zeke is still working on his end as well.. This part of the game will get better as the team timing evolves. The book to play the Jackrabbits is double team the ball which also pushes the ball further from the basket. The guards had 14 of the 21 TO in the game. The passing lanes close quickly if the ball stops and the double team arrives. The bigs had trouble when they put the ball on the floor and the double team is there. The Summit is likely to have less of that pressure unless the Jackrabbits fail to adapt to pressure defense and those coaches find that problem. Hendo and the coaches likely can tweak the offense for that huge weakness. Broden Lien is getting some floor time and he brings raw strength inside even though some may consider his preference to be on the perimeter. Appel seems frustrated since he must not be able to create with his hard cuts and pivots in the lane. Te Slaa looks to be as ready as any player to warm up his shot. He is still learning the speed of this game coming from smaller schools in Iowa. MIms & Easley both shot well combining for 6-11 but only shooting 3 FT between them. The team only attempted 11 FT which very low compared to the 20+ in the first 6 games. Overall the 21 turnovers leading to 33 points for the Dukes was the difference in the game. The WBB started out last season OOC 4-7 and they had a decent recovery for the year. Baylor is gone, Doug is gone, and Noah is gone. The Jackrabbits will recover as the losses are put into perspective and the therapy sessions will be work harder in practice to get better. It is a bit early to hang the head and feel sorry for yourself.
                                It was difficult listening to the game today because it seemed like whomever was bringing the ball up the court… There would be one or two passes and the ball was stolen. I’m wondering who is having the most problem bringing the ball up the court with pressure, who is out of position when the ball is passed or who is just making errant passes etc. etc.
                                am I wrong… But it seems like in the past couple of years we had less problems with AA bringing the ball up the court.

Comment

Working...
                                X