GDT: SDSU vs NDSU 7pm Scheels Center ESPN+

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
    Thank goodness Tyler is one of the best play by play talents in the country, cause his post game questions (like where is your leading scorer?) are lacking. I guess he works for the school, thus paid to toss up soft balls, but man... talk about avoiding the elephant in the room.
    Its hard because you should focus on the outcome of the game and those in it, but might not hurt to ask if or when we will see fridel again.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Thank goodness Tyler is one of the best play by play talents in the country, cause his post game questions (like where is your leading scorer?) are lacking. I guess he works for the school, thus paid to toss up soft balls, but man... talk about avoiding the elephant in the room.
      It sounded like the Freidel question was answered in the pregame in that he would not be playing. I would wager that the request from the staff was there was no more information to be shared with the public and please do not ask. Hendo would likely stay with the "it is a basketball decision".
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

NDSU announcers compared Mayo to Daum and Wolters. Played all 40 minutes tonight.

Comment

Yes, as far as anyone has heard (nothing), we're left to think he just slid this far down the roster due to "basketball decisions", which I think means others are playing better. I guess that says this team is amazingly deep.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post

It sounded like the Freidel question was answered in the pregame in that he would not be playing. I would wager that the request from the staff was there was no more information to be shared with the public and please do not ask. Hendo would likely stay with the "it is a basketball decision".
            Ahhh. I didnt hear that tidbit (didnt catch pregame). Well at least that is something. Thanks

Comment

Yes, as far as anyone has heard (nothing), we're left to think he just slid this far down the roster due to "basketball decisions", which I think means others are playing better. I guess that says this team is amazingly deep.
              Yeah there’s no chance to fall from being a starter to being out of the rotation after playing 27 minutes 10 days ago. Has to be a disciplinary thing.

Comment

Jacks couldn't ask for a better start. Undefeated three games in , and already have two of the four games against the top two contenders out of the way.

Comment

Gutsy win by the fellas tonight.
                  • Baylor yet again proved he's the best player in the league.
                  • I really didn't like or understand the Mims on Griesel matchup defensively. Props to Mims for icing the game down the stretch and hitting some huge shots, but it's just such a bad matchup defensively against a long team like NDSU, especially in crunch time.
                  • Doug Wilson put Griesel in his grave. My God. That crossover to win the game against basically a PG. Doug is such a highly unique basketball player and that play will be one of my first memories of him when I think back on his career in this life. And the block on Rocky... chef's kiss!
                  • NDSU scares the hell out of me, especially in March, even though I think we're a better team. But S/O to this team once again for getting an incredibly difficult road win. Under all the given circumstances with the given players out there. That's a massive W on the road early in the SL season.

Comment

What a game. The Jacks trailed by 11, came back to lead by 20, and ultimately won by 4. Big road win, especially in a season in which the conference crown will be determined by winning percentage.
                    This space for lease.

Comment

I just watched the highlights. Wilson's dunk at the end was incredible. What a move!
                      One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

I don't know exactly what's going on with Freidel, but it seems pretty likely that he made an off-court mistake, got benched, and now has to re-earn the confidence of his coach and team mates. He's done so successfully before and is capable of doing it again. I hope he does. He's such a talented player. He's going to have to work pretty hard, though, because the Jacks have beaten two of the best teams in the conference without him.
                        This space for lease.

Comment

The 'Did Not Play' before he announced he was taking the season off was also a coach's decision. If it is mental health related, I'm glad coach took the pressure off Noah by saying it was "a basketball decision," and I hope that Noah can get the help that he needs and the space that he deserves. If the team did indeed ask the media to back down for that reasoning, this fan fully supports that decision. Maybe people will know more in a week (in the event he still isn't playing) when USD visits Frost and Zimmer has a chance to once again ask the question that is seemingly on everyone's mind. The rest of the team is stepping up in his absence with big performances by Mims and Appel and two very clutch plays by Wilson.

Comment

can we please give the noah thing a rest. OF COURSE teams and athletic departments and sports information directors/ departments NEED to TRY to balance this. they have reasons/ benefits for giving fans/ the public as much information as possible

but at the end of the day WE/ FANS have ZERO right to know about the private lives of these young men and women. NONE!!!! is it so hard to remember that we live in the world of HIPPA. noah or any player have EVERY right to their physical and mental health and well being STAYING PRIVATE. and their private lives staying private

again of course we want to have as much information as possible because we are very interested in our teams. but we have to TRUST that the school and whoever are making these decisions are doing the very best that they can to balance. telling us everything they can but most importantly protecting these young men and women!!

in connection to that, i have ZERO doubt they tell announcers/ media people ahead of time if there are questions that they will NOT answer. and thank goodness we still live in a place where there is some respect for that. there is NO dangerous conspiracy going on here..

i wish noah and all of our athletes the very best and i am glad we root for a school that cares about these kids far more than just what they can do on the floor or field

Comment

Originally posted by naters_gonna_nate View Post
                              Gutsy win by the fellas tonight.
                              • Baylor yet again proved he's the best player in the league.
                              • I really didn't like or understand the Mims on Griesel matchup defensively. Props to Mims for icing the game down the stretch and hitting some huge shots, but it's just such a bad matchup defensively against a long team like NDSU, especially in crunch time.
                              • Doug Wilson put Griesel in his grave. My God. That crossover to win the game against basically a PG. Doug is such a highly unique basketball player and that play will be one of my first memories of him when I think back on his career in this life. And the block on Rocky... chef's kiss!
                              • NDSU scares the hell out of me, especially in March, even though I think we're a better team. But S/O to this team once again for getting an incredibly difficult road win. Under all the given circumstances with the given players out there. That's a massive W on the road early in the SL season.
                              just random thoughts and your post seemed to be a good jumping off point

Baylor is a wonderful player and so fun to watch!! but we are pretty blessed at the moment. we have a bunch of really special players on this team and in the conference.

this team gets contributions from so many people! last game i think literally EVERY player who stepped on the floor made a very important contribution at some point. tonight maybe it was not every player but WOW, charlie has been playing so so well and knocking down open shots at an incredible rate. tonight mims filled that role exactly and exceptionally!! i did not look at the box yet but i think he did not miss a single shot. 3 for 3 on 3s and 4 of 4 at the FT line. and every shot big and all the FT in the last 3 to 5 minutes if i am thinking right. somebody earlier said that charlie was off today. i am not sure that is true. he did get in some foul trouble but i think mims just was doing such a good job that they just decided to ride with the hot hand

people talk all the time about playing more people and giving people a few minutes a night. do you realize how difficult it is to play for just a few minutes and get into the flow of the game. in my experience i would say that is very difficult but we have players this year who are making big contributions even in small opportunities.

zeke keeps showing more and more signs of being a very special player

i somewhat agree with you about mims on griesel, but i was not trying to figure out exactly who they had on the floor at the time, and ndsu is very long and they do go with griesel at the point pretty often. maybe i was missing someone but sometimes there is probably not a lot better matchup for him. if skunberg or whatever the freshman name is was on the floor, that is probably a better matchup, but he is only an inch shorter than griesel i think

ndsu is ALWAYS scary because they just never quit and they will keep getting better all year long

finally how many of you thought about the fact that in consecutive games, in the MOST critical possesions of the game, doug has guarded the reigning POY who is a point guard and forced a TO. and today guards a 1st team all conference center and blocks his shot. do you realize the rarity of a player who can SO SO SO effectively guard these two players. it makes me sad how much people focus on his imperfections at times. he is DEFINITELY far from perfect. but he is such a unique and special player and i think he deserves a LOT of credit for the way this team/ program kept going without losing a step after daum left

if you remember there was plenty of doom and gloom. every one's fav media man ZIM wrote a story that basically said SDSU has had a very successful decade but now the bill has come due and they are going to take some lumps for a while. and lot of people talking about an unknown, potentially long rebuild.

we have had mixed results with the juco thing. definitely some good ones!!! my still all time favorite Chris white comes to mind. but some NOT good also. but doug was just the perfect player and his confidence and style of being aggressive but also unselfish really helped a bunch of new and young players and a first time HC get their feet on the ground and lay a foundation for the next group of great players. i have definitely seen players with a lot of potential struggle and have difficulty getting back to winning after too much losing. and i think JUST MAYBE without doug that or THIS group would have struggled more to reach their potential.

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                                can we please give the noah thing a rest. OF COURSE teams and athletic departments and sports information directors/ departments NEED to TRY to balance this. they have reasons/ benefits for giving fans/ the public as much information as possible

but at the end of the day WE/ FANS have ZERO right to know about the private lives of these young men and women. NONE!!!! is it so hard to remember that we live in the world of HIPPA. noah or any player have EVERY right to their physical and mental health and well being STAYING PRIVATE. and their private lives staying private

again of course we want to have as much information as possible because we are very interested in our teams. but we have to TRUST that the school and whoever are making these decisions are doing the very best that they can to balance. telling us everything they can but most importantly protecting these young men and women!!

in connection to that, i have ZERO doubt they tell announcers/ media people ahead of time if there are questions that they will NOT answer. and thank goodness we still live in a place where there is some respect for that. there is NO dangerous conspiracy going on here..

i wish noah and all of our athletes the very best and i am glad we root for a school that cares about these kids far more than just what they can do on the floor or field
                                Just curious why people are jumping to conclusions that Noah is having health issues again? (Then follow up with lectures on doing so). Seems the pot is calling the kettle black.

The coach gave us no indications of that OR any infraction of some type.. All we know is it's a "Basketball decision". That's what I'm going with.
                                As such, the Jacks have one heck of a team when they can pick up a road win like that one with Noah not on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                                X