No announcement yet.

Assistant Coach Tramel Barnes Leaving for Job at Utah

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yawn, anybody have any left over July 4th pie?

Comment

Originally posted by tbcruiser View Post
      Yawn, anybody have any left over July 4th pie?
      I will eat mine in a few minutes!
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Comment

There's a ton of literature on black coaches. Here's some quotes from the above link.

"Still, very few head coaches are going to risk hiring an all-white staff.

“If [the coach] wants to have an all white staff, the down side would be you might not get any players,” Pinckney said.

Perception can become reality. And if a staff is not perceived as being diverse, then it may lose out on certain players.

“Sometimes looks and perceptions are very important,” Cox said. “Without knowing a staff, if looking at a staff on TV you see there might not be somebody who you can relate to, you might not receive a call from them or you might not accept a call from them. Or you might not reach out to them even though you have interest. So if that hurts you in the recruiting world, you might want to take a look at that.”

Comment

I'll throw another comment that will tick y'all off. Have no idea what Mackenzie Casey's major or interests were. They didn't list it in his bio. What if they had offered him an assistant coach position in 2009 and sent him out to the rez to do summer camps? How many David Wingett's were out there but never discovered?

Comment

One other point for those that think you can take it to the next level by relying on local talent. I live in a medium sized suburban county with one D2 school. South Dakota with approximately twice the population has 2 D1, 5 D2, and 4 NAIA schools. No way to quantify it, but my guess is that high schools with 2000+ students as most schools in my county have, have more resources at the assistant coach level. Sioux Falls schools seem to dominate and I would guess every school in my county would have approximately the same or greater resources as SF. I think SDSU has done admirably in recruiting Small town outh Dakota, Nebraska and Iowa. Mike Daum was a real find. I just don't think you can take it to that level recruiting locally. Give me some Indiana and Illinois kids to go with 'em.

Comment

Working...
              X