Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine

https://unlvrebels.com/sports/mens-b...21?path=mbball

David Jenkins had a decent solid season for the UNLV rebels ... averaged 15.2 a game starting most games for the 12-15 rebels.

Caleb Grill for the same Rebels team averaged 9.2 (3rd on the team) playing in 26 games for the Rebels.

Comment

Jenkins
      18-19: FG%-45.8%, 3%-45.3%, FT%-79.3%
      20-21: FG%-39.9%, 3%-40.9%, FT%-77.3%

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
        Jenkins
        18-19: FG%-45.8%, 3%-45.3%, FT%-79.3%
        20-21: FG%-39.9%, 3%-40.9%, FT%-77.3%
        And he often gets benched for his poor defense.

Comment

I don’t think I would come here spouting about a player that has gotten worse across the board since he left.

Comment

poor is almost a compliment to his defense sir) non existant and hideously bad are the descriptions that come to mind when i think about his supposed attempts or total lack of attempts to play defense. he liked to gamble ill advisedly for steals so that he could get the ball and get another shot attempt. beyond that i think he took a nap during the 2 minutes per year that TJ talked to the team about defense

he DEFINITELY had scoring ability and i DEFINITELY had dreams of him putting it all together and being an all time jacks legend!!! and i wish him NOTHING but the very very best!!! but i think we probably dodged a bullet. my guess is hendo would have had to be pretty tough on him to get BUY IN to the share the ball offensive philosophy. wow we have people screaming about hendo now. imagine what that would have been like if he potentially had to stop dj starting or something bc lack of buy in to the new program. gotta admit i was slightly terrified about what DJ would look like playing for TJ in the post daum era. was hoping for the best but the DJ and TJ post daum sdsu era did not last very long)

would have loved to see what current squad looked like with caleb grill. have no idea if he is a person who looks back at all, but if he is, i think it is fair to guess that he might wonder if he was better off sticking to his original plan, definitely do not know for sure, but as i understand it hendo was the first coach to see him and talk to him and they had a very good relationship

Comment

And went 1-13 0-7 from 3 last night in the loss to Utah State in a game they were tied at the half and lost by 21.

Comment

i think they lost to utah state by about the same margin the jacks beat utah state by) interesting)

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
                  poor is almost a compliment to his defense sir) non existant and hideously bad are the descriptions that come to mind when i think about his supposed attempts or total lack of attempts to play defense. he liked to gamble ill advisedly for steals so that he could get the ball and get another shot attempt. beyond that i think he took a nap during the 2 minutes per year that TJ talked to the team about defense

he DEFINITELY had scoring ability and i DEFINITELY had dreams of him putting it all together and being an all time jacks legend!!! and i wish him NOTHING but the very very best!!! but i think we probably dodged a bullet. my guess is hendo would have had to be pretty tough on him to get BUY IN to the share the ball offensive philosophy. wow we have people screaming about hendo now. imagine what that would have been like if he potentially had to stop dj starting or something bc lack of buy in to the new program. gotta admit i was slightly terrified about what DJ would look like playing for TJ in the post daum era. was hoping for the best but the DJ and TJ post daum sdsu era did not last very long)

would have loved to see what current squad looked like with caleb grill. have no idea if he is a person who looks back at all, but if he is, i think it is fair to guess that he might wonder if he was better off sticking to his original plan, definitely do not know for sure, but as i understand it hendo was the first coach to see him and talk to him and they had a very good relationship
                  Not sure if we truly dodged a bullet by Jenkins leaving, but I'm not sure we get Noah if either both or one of Jenkins/Grill stays with SDSU.

I don't think I'd take either of those two over Noah.

Someone mentioned TJ's name and the Iowa State job. With the two seasons UNLV has put together with TJ at the helm I can't see ISU hiring him. TJ is known as a great recruiter, but I don't think he's a great coach yet. Not saying he won't be a great coach but when he was at SDSU he was handed the keys to a Ferrari. His teams here were loaded with talent much of which was recruited by Nagy.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post
                    I don’t think I would come here spouting about a player that has gotten worse across the board since he left.
                    I am not sure I agree ... is his stats slightly worse? Sure ... he’s playing in the MWC not the Summit. Do you expect it to get better?

I’m sure Hendo would’ve loved to have a chance to coach Jenkins.

Comment

At the end of the day ... the Cinderella teams that win a couple of games in the NCAA are teams with elite guard play. As great as Daum and Wilson are/were you won’t make a Sweet 16 without a guard like Jenkins or Wolters.

Comment

Originally posted by wcbsas View Post
                        At the end of the day ... the Cinderella teams that win a couple of games in the NCAA are teams with elite guard play. As great as Daum and Wilson are/were you won’t make a Sweet 16 without a guard like Jenkins or Wolters.
                        I agree with you that it is guard play and 3 pt shooting and that is why I think if oru gets a team they semi match up with they can make it interesting but I would slow down with putting jenkins and wolters in the same sentence when talking about elite guard play.

Comment

Originally posted by Carolina010 View Post

I agree with you that it is guard play and 3 pt shooting and that is why I think if oru gets a team they semi match up with they can make it interesting but I would slow down with putting jenkins and wolters in the same sentence when talking about elite guard play.
                          I’m not saying Jenkins is akin to Wolters BUT Jenkins is the kind of guard the team needs to find/recruit. Very very very hard to find those guys at the Summit league level but sometimes you have to take chances.

Comment

yep probably slightly aggressive to say PROBABLY dodged. but hendo has done an awesome job of applying tough love when it has been needed and from what i can see- AND i absolutely do not see the whole story and readily admit there is plenty i do not know, therefore some of my guesses could be WRONG- the guys we have for the last 2 years have taken it very well and made serious and sincere efforts to improve! i can guess he may have made an effort to buy in to improving defensively both individually and as a team. CLEARLY he has the athleticism to be better. i really hoped would see that improvement between year 1 and 2. i guess some could disagree as i do not have statistics. individual defense is a little tough for fans to quantify. but in my perspective he did not improve in any way, and very possibly was worse

but most of all i think he would have REALLY fought the idea of the share the ball offense. someone mentioned that he is in a supposedly tougher conference. ( although utah state has ABSOLUTELY RUN AWAY with that conference and i do not get the idea that they are WAY better than the jacks adn the jacks played some incredible game against them. my thought was and is that if the 2 teams played a bunch of 10 game series the jacks would average somewhere in neighborhood of 3.5 wins but i think i might be underselling a healthy jacks squad. this also indicates that utah state is not a runaway winner against 3 other teams in our conference )

but anyway if the perception is that he is in a much tougher conference would he not have perhaps a slightly more judicious approach to shot attempts and shot selection? you know like, hey maybe this league is tougher than the summit so maybe i need to focus on being a little better and maybe cannot get away with some things i did before? the games i have seen i have not seen ANY increased maturity or wisdom. last i checked he was still leading UNLV in shot attempts by a comfortable margin and seems to still have the idea that he is wide open the moment he gets off the bus

my point is TRULY NOT to rip the kid. i do not like to focus on negative and ya know i do not know anything about what his experiences are or what makes him who he is. i loved watching him as a freshman, until the ohio state game. you could DEFINITELY see the talent and you could see why a coach would give him some space to grow and learn. kinda take the bad with the good and keep pushing him to improve in the weak areas like defense and shot selection, and i said many times during his sophomore year that he did a lot of infuriating stuff but at that ppoint it fell much more on the coach for not giving him some tough love and holding him accountable

and that is probably main reason i think he may have pushed back hard about being held accountable by hendo had he stayed. and i would not be surprised to find out some day that perhaps there were even conversations between the two. as i recall he entered the portal before hendo got the job- but i could be wrong. but obviously entering the portal does NOT mean you have to go- ala umude. and i would not be at all surprised if the DJ and hendo has some conversation. and it kinda went hey buddy i would LOVE to have you stay!! and i think you can really ink your name into jackrabbit history and jackrabbit legend with the things we can do in the next 2 years!!! but there will DEFINITELY be some differences in the way we do things. i will definitely expect you along with everyone to bust your tail on D. i expect us to share the ball, make the extra pass, and most of all i am going to REALLY REALLY stress that as a team, including EVERYONE that we work our butts off to pass up GOOD shots so that someone else can have a GREAT shot.

my guess is that some form of that conversation did happen. and hendo i agree with who said he WANTED to coach DJ cuz have you seen hendo? WHO doesnt the guy love))) and WHO doesnt he believe the best in. but guessing maybe that sounded ok to dj but didnt sound as good as what he had been doing the previous 2 years, which was hey buddy you like the shot you take it. plenty of games when the guy who was all time leading scorer had it going but maybe could have had a few more attempts

ohio state ncaa first round. daum 27 points. 9 for 20 fg or 45% and 5 for 10 3% mostly guarded by dude getting borderline lottery talk. but dj still 17 fg attempt. 4 of 17 under 25% and 2 of 8 3% 25%
                            was hoping by then some of that would have been taught or you might pull him for some circumstances like defense in last minute of game after coming back to tie with somewhere between 60-90 seconds left. he stays in commits 2 terrible fouls we lose by 8

or final game both their jacks careers. daum 11 of 21 over 50% and 3 of 7 from 3 about 43%. flatten 6 of 12 and 2 of 5. dj 6 of 16, 37.5% and 3 of 10, 30%

so you could say in the final game of both seasons dj a rabbit and also final 2 year of daum, mike shot 50% from fg on 41 shots dj about 30% fg on 33 shots. from 3 mike was 8 of 17, dj was 5 of 18. and remember mike was hurt badly enough in one those games that he had surgery shortly after. TOTALLY understand what saying about winning with good guard play. but big history of upsets with good 3 pt shooting and teams have definitely been hurt buy bigs who can step out and make the 3 and there havent been tons who do that better than mike but he was not strictly a STRETCH 4 he could also score VERY efficiently in the post

my orignial post was about dj. it was said before in this forum maybe we had addition by subtraction. i agreed with that then. i have laid out some reasons why. love the kid! LOVED watching him as a freshman. was very disppointed by the ncaa there were really zero improvements to the weaknesses. and no doubt the coach has to take a BIG chunk of the accountability for that as a sophomore kept hoping for the best but it just became more and more apparent changes would not be made and possibly were not expected

portal was entered i was ambivalent as to my hopes. but knew if he returned i would be rooting for him and hoping hendo could get him to be a different player than he had been, but FEARING that it could be a tough transformation to pull off but thinking if it could, wow he could be all time unbelievable)) knew if he left i would then and always wish him the best and believe that the jacks would move forward and succeed with new players. they have

as far as winning in the ncaa i think the numbers i have given MORE than demonstrate that MR DAUM more than held up his end of the bargain regarding leading his team to success in ncaa games. and i do not have the stats memorized but i think if you look up the game against maryland from his freshman year and gonzaga his sophomore year mike played FANTASTIC in everyone of his opportunities to lead the jacks to post season success. i really think the ONLY tough post season game he EVER had was the WIU game in final SLT and only game he ever lost in SLT. pretty good record in SLT)))) 9 wins 1 loss

finally as far as guard play in ncaa. NO DOUBT quality guard play is huge and 3 pt shooting is an awesome weapon for an underdog. so yes oru has a very good and very smart guard and they also have multiple guys who knock down the 3. they could DEFINITELY cause trouble but they will have to play more than a half most likely. they are not very big or deep with bigs. i think the biggest guy who actually plays is obanor at 6'8 and nobody else much taller and none as strong

the jacks have had plenty of guards who i would be happy to go to the ncaa with. dj definitely had some of the tools to be one of them. for whatever reason he never really improved his game from the moment he got on campus. he was same player in final game that he was in first game. surely given enough chances he could have had one of his hot shooting games. from the jacks roster, however, i would take several before him to go into an ncaa game. i hope he will be healthy first and foremost but when noah is ready to play he has shown everything you could ever want in a big game player. also baylor! d parks played very well in the ncaa and nit games. george marshall played very well in those games. if you look at big games from j bittle junior year and before injuries senior year he was a stud. in one of the nit games his junior year i think he barely missed a shot and same against u of minn. his senior yr. OF COURSE you would take nate but also b carlson and griff callahan and i would also take austin hansen

anyway there are probably more but we have had PLENTY of guards who i definitely believe could get the job done in ncaa. we have actually been very blessed with great guards

think this is a new record even for me) but what else is a rabbit fan gonna do on a friday night the week after the SLT) haha obviously the rest of you found something slightly more sane to do)) GO RABBITS!!

Comment

I'd take Freidel over Jenkins all day.

Give me the guy who contributes to the TEAM in every way - rebounding, defense, passing, and EFFICIENT scoring over the exciting volume shooter who puts up big points numbers but erodes his value to WINNING in every other aspect of his game.

I'm in the its definitely its pretty questionable we are better team with Jenkins. More offensively exciting, yes - higher ceiling on a given hot shooting night, possibly yes - A better team throughout the season winning more games, I'd vote no.

Comment

Working...
                              X