No announcement yet.

Future Rosters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that maybe Kentucky (or any other school) might not have a scholarship available. But even if they don't, if a donor is paying a kid $400,000 of NIL money, he could walk-on , pay his own tuition and have plenty left for spending money. Seems like a way to get around scholarship limits. Or does an athlete have to be on scholarship to get NIL $ ?

Comment

• Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
      Earlier in this thread, it was mentioned that maybe Kentucky (or any other school) might not have a scholarship available. But even if they don't, if a donor is paying a kid $400,000 of NIL money, he could walk-on , pay his own tuition and have plenty left for spending money. Seems like a way to get around scholarship limits. Or does an athlete have to be on scholarship to get NIL $ ?
      Would be hard to accept … that would mean UK would have 13 scholarship players plus a walkon challenging for limited playing time. For a kid who obviously aspires for the NBA or at least professional ball … would you take that chance?

Comment

• Jaylon Gentry into the black hole/portal.

Comment

• BTW, I’m getting tired of these canned “thanks, but no thanks” type announcements. It’s not just anyone related to SDSU either. Just say I’m moving on in hopes of greener pastures, Thanks.

Comment

• Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
            Jaylon Gentry into the black hole/portal.
            he was on scholarship after Christmas last year. did that mean he had a scholarship for next year? is that 2 open now with baylor gone. and he is definitely gone. i believe and i definitely HOPE that he did have a conversation with hendo about this and told him that he would not be back and not to wait around to see if he would come back

my guess is that J Aliick will go back to KC now that they did hire a coach with a successful track record or that he is looking for a bigger landing spot. but i definitely dont KNOW anything!! i think the jacks could put Mohrs in baylors point forward role and rotate Dent, Appel, and another good big so theortically the playing time could be there for someone like Aliick, unless the jacks are already sure of a significant contribution from Lein or Kyle

i think very highly of Aliick and would love to see him in a jacks uniform but i feel like the chances of that are small

Comment

• Originally posted by DieselJacks View Post

Considering Baylor’s scenario, I can see why he did things the way he did: Enters NBA draft, gets told by scouts that he has to prove his game on a bigger level, plus the added bonus of Power 5 . I truly don’t think he would transfer unless he was eventually trying for the NBA. I agree with Zeke. Taking Baylor off the list is petty by the school’s end, and doesn’t encourage a great relationship with the athletes to do what is best for them.
              Yes i can understand that thinking but if somebody wants to believe that this is a sign that there are a bunch of small or petty or any other adjective for BAD people in some way involved with rabbits MBB or athletics in general they are not thinking honestly or clearly

probably a questionable decision but surrounded by a lot of other good ones, it seems like fans should be able to tolerate this decision, some questionable decisions, or even some flat out mistakes

and it does not seem completely terrible that the jacks would like to have somebody win that award who completed their career as a rabbit or at the very least is still honoring their committment for next year.

they definitely should not want to have too many people winning this award and then leaving to complete their playing days at some other place. so anyway i do not love the decision!!! but i also do not have a difficult time accepting it or excusing it

as far as baylor is concerned, i think it is obvious that i am annoyed with this situation. in case you were not sure, YES I AM

but i do appreciate what baylor has done here and that he has been a great kid and teammate!! i doubt that i will watch him play at another school because i spend almost zero time watching MBB outside of the jacks games, but i wish him nothing but the best. as i have already said i really do not believe that that will include a starring role in the nba and very likely not even a playing role. i think he is just outside of an nba caliber player, which is still a great basketball player

maybe he will prove me wrong, but whatever he does, i wish him the best

it is the people surrounding him i am most annoyed with and that he and his family are believing those who are saying that this move will make him a more appealing nba prospect. did staying at PFW stop Konchar from getting in??
              do you think Umude is a better prospect now than he was last year?
              is Obanor a better prospect?
              i feel more than confident the answer to all those questions is a firm NO

so i am annoyed with the circumstances and the questionable people giving advice. but i wish baylor the best!! but i am fine with the school not wanting him to go into the history books as being named male athlete of the year and then transferring to another school

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

he was on scholarship after Christmas last year. did that mean he had a scholarship for next year? is that 2 open now with baylor gone. and he is definitely gone. i believe and i definitely HOPE that he did have a conversation with hendo about this and told him that he would not be back and not to wait around to see if he would come back

my guess is that J Aliick will go back to KC now that they did hire a coach with a successful track record or that he is looking for a bigger landing spot. but i definitely dont KNOW anything!! i think the jacks could put Mohrs in baylors point forward role and rotate Dent, Appel, and another good big so theortically the playing time could be there for someone like Aliick, unless the jacks are already sure of a significant contribution from Lein or Kyle

i think very highly of Aliick and would love to see him in a jacks uniform but i feel like the chances of that are small
                Jacks were full with Baylor. Likely looking for a portal player to fill his spot, but if they don't bring someone in, Hastreiter , who was going to grayshirt would maybe go on scholarship.

Comment

• Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

Would be hard to accept … that would mean UK would have 13 scholarship players plus a walkon challenging for limited playing time. For a kid who obviously aspires for the NBA or at least professional ball … would you take that chance?
                  More than a few decades back, prior to current scholarship limits, the large NCAA D1 FB programs would have upwards of 150-200 players on roster. Most would never see the field at that school or any other (sometimes the point of having that player). I would think the players involved all believed they had a chance of making it at that school. The NIL situation seems to be resurrecting that time of larger rosters in BB, and I suspect soon in FB also. The only difference being the schools cannot lock up players with transfer rules as readily as in the past. Still, the bigger programs will be able to use it to prevent smaller programs from competing. Is this good for college sports, likely not.
                  You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

• Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post

Yes i can understand that thinking but if somebody wants to believe that this is a sign that there are a bunch of small or petty or any other adjective for BAD people in some way involved with rabbits MBB or athletics in general they are not thinking honestly or clearly

probably a questionable decision but surrounded by a lot of other good ones, it seems like fans should be able to tolerate this decision, some questionable decisions, or even some flat out mistakes

and it does not seem completely terrible that the jacks would like to have somebody win that award who completed their career as a rabbit or at the very least is still honoring their committment for next year.

they definitely should not want to have too many people winning this award and then leaving to complete their playing days at some other place. so anyway i do not love the decision!!! but i also do not have a difficult time accepting it or excusing it

as far as baylor is concerned, i think it is obvious that i am annoyed with this situation. in case you were not sure, YES I AM

but i do appreciate what baylor has done here and that he has been a great kid and teammate!! i doubt that i will watch him play at another school because i spend almost zero time watching MBB outside of the jacks games, but i wish him nothing but the best. as i have already said i really do not believe that that will include a starring role in the nba and very likely not even a playing role. i think he is just outside of an nba caliber player, which is still a great basketball player

maybe he will prove me wrong, but whatever he does, i wish him the best

it is the people surrounding him i am most annoyed with and that he and his family are believing those who are saying that this move will make him a more appealing nba prospect. did staying at PFW stop Konchar from getting in??
                    do you think Umude is a better prospect now than he was last year?
                    is Obanor a better prospect?
                    i feel more than confident the answer to all those questions is a firm NO

so i am annoyed with the circumstances and the questionable people giving advice. but i wish baylor the best!! but i am fine with the school not wanting him to go into the history books as being named male athlete of the year and then transferring to another school
                    Like I said, I can see both sides to this. But I agree with LGR. BS walked away from this program. As of right now there is no way to say that is a good or bad decision. Time will tell. SDSU paid him to be there, full ride. Sooooo, I can understand them wanting to honor student athletes that stay too. Its just too bad it has to be this way.

Comment

• There are sooooo many athletes that deserve the honor they are nominated for. Lets give it to the ones that rep SDSU. The pitcher for the womens softball team is amazing. She will lose to Myah though. Not saying that is wrong, but it proves how many athletes we have that are really good and want to stay Jackrabbits.
                      Last edited by 98Jackfarmer; 04-30-2022, 07:41 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wcbsas View Post

From Ky sports talk (for what that's worth) sounds like BS is being recruited to bolster the bench. Hope that is not the case. If it is, then NIL is the purpose. Calipari, they say, is brutally honest with all his recruits and what he expects from them.

Comment

• Rumor has it, it will be Creighton for $400,000 and a car. Just sayin

Comment

• Originally posted by 98Jackfarmer View Post
                            There are sooooo many athletes that deserve the honor they are nominated for. Lets give it to the ones that rep SDSU. The pitcher for the womens softball team is amazing. She will lose to Myah though. Not saying that is wrong, but it proves how many athletes we have that want to stay Jackrabbits. Not to mention the freshman womens category.
                            Could reduce some controversy/subjectivity and have the ballot consist of athletes making 1st or 2nd Summit League, Valley, or Big XII teams. It's not like they couldn't have the "race" consist of multiple runoffs.

Comment

• Colleges need to get a franchise tag or.something that they can lock up a player so they dont bolt so easy. Im only partially kidding
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

• Originally posted by goon View Post
                                Colleges need to get a franchise tag or.something that they can lock up a player so they dont bolt so easy. Im only partially kidding
                                Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi commenting during the NCAA WBB tourney 2022, that some of the players make more than the WNBA players do. Paige Bueckers-UConn (Hopkins, Mn), for example. Maybe club ball will become the thing in the future, leaving the universities out of the mix. I guess the best team that money can buy isn't just a joke, anymore.

Comment

Working...
                                X