No announcement yet.

Regular Season Champs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mr nidaros, you have always come across as a real good guy, so if you say he is a good guy, i guess decent chance that he is. good people, however, sometimes do stupid things. and coming on this board and stating that the jacks BACKED in to the championship is not only STUPID it is complete crap!!

by what standard did the jacks back into anything??? EVERY team knew the rules and how the champ would be decided before the year began. based on those rules, the jacks went out and played every game they were allowed to, and just so happened to have the opportunity taken from them to play FOUR games against the worst 2 teams in the conference. still going into the final weekend they were still within range of the top spot!

they knew they had to win both games against a team that came in at the absolute peak of their confidence. the jacks won both games, while missing one of their pre season first team all conference players. the team down south also knew that if they wanted to assure themselves the top spot that they also needed to win both games. they even had the advantage of playing their final game AFTER the jacks season was finished, so that there was ZERO speculation about what they needed to do. THEY DID NOT GET IT DONE! end of story not a single thing about this is backing in!!

does anybody really think if the jacks played those 4 games that we do not win 3, which is all that is needed to still be champs?? i venture if we played that set of games 100 times we would win all 4 games way way more often than we win 2 or less

i would bet way more money on the jacks winning all 4 of those than i would bet on pughSD winning that game against ORU. but it is idiotic to debate things that never happened.

we played the games we were allowed to play. they played the games they were able to play. we have the clearly better win percentage!!! we have less losses!! we are CHAMPS

NOBODY owes pughSD anything!! they all want to believe and say that they are just as good a program as SDSU and NDSU. well go out and win the same number of championships or keep it to yourself. one of these years i am sure they will win one and maybe some more. it is disgusting to write that!!! but i imagine it will happen. but every time they win one game against us it is all this crap about how they are just as good and deserve respect

if they are so tired of having to live in our shadow, go find your own conference. they had ZERO desire to go with us and NDSU when we had the balls and the foresight to make the move. they wanted to ridicule us and make fun. after we did all the work and laid the foundation then they wanted to have a piece!! and they got everyone to whine about we should not be afraid of some in state rivalry and how we owed it to the state to make this rivalry happen

we do not owe them or anyone anything. without the jacks and bison having the courage and foresight to make the move despite loads and loads of criticism, there would be no summit league and no wildly successful SLT. almost guarantee there is no pentagon and likely no premier center. probably no midco sports network and probably no SF sports authority. probably the number of jobs and opportunities created by that one decision is a number that nobody could ever imagined and maybe still have trouble believing.

so maybe he is a good guy, but if he wants to come on this board, it should probably just be to say thank you to sdsu several times a year. otherwise probably keep his dreams of athletic dominance to himself and just be happy that they were allowed to stand in our shadow. they were given the opportunity to be big boys and do the right thing at the time that it needed to be done. they did not want to do that.

Comment

I feel like there's a lot of built up frustration coming out on here on both sides. Some people made some dumb comments about usd backing out of games to win the Summit, and yoteforever, understandably, finally got fed up with it. Let's not attack each other over things out of our control. I'm pretty sure yoteforever isn't the reason usd went D1 after SDSU, so maybe not direct that anger at him. The move has worked out well for the Dakota schools, let's leave it at that.

Finally, I want to wish AJ a speedy and full recovery. He's got a long road ahead of him, and I hope he's ready next years when the schools meet again.
      Rollin' in my 5.0
      With my rag-top down so my hair can blow!
      Nod your head to this Jackrabbits!

Comment

hey pride, i think you make some good points and i definitely agree to the spirit of your post.

as i stated initially, i really do not have interest in doing a back and forth with coyote fans about this. i responded bc nidaros vouched for y4ever so i conceded maybe he is a good guy but he has made a ridiculous statement about the jacks backing into a title. there is zero intelligent argument for that point of view.

if you go back and look at the stuff about them backing out of games you will see that i never piled on in ANY way about them backing out of games and I agree with you that it is stupid. responding to stupid with more stupid, however, does not display or promote intelligence

going forward i will do a much better job or confining my comments to support for the rabbits.

i could not agree with you more about AJP. stated that in another thread. seems like a good kid and a heckuva ball player. not looking forward to seeing him playing against the jacks for multiple years but absolutely wish him the best and fastest recovery possible

i will also say again here i wish safety and health for all the teams and players heading to the tourney. the teams and players have put in a lot of time and effort to make it to this point. hopefully EVERY player can stay healthy and EVERY team can play their best and may the best team emerge

Comment

Originally posted by LetsGoRabbits View Post
          ....we do not owe them or anyone anything. without the jacks and bison having the courage and foresight to make the move despite loads and loads of criticism, there would be no summit league and no wildly successful SLT. almost guarantee there is no pentagon and likely no premier center. probably no midco sports network and probably no SF sports authority. probably the number of jobs and opportunities created by that one decision is a number that nobody could ever imagined and maybe still have trouble believing....
          LetsGoRabbits — I admire your enthusiasm but I have to note that once you got rolling, taking credit for the Premier Center etc., I was reminded of the scene from the film “Animal House” when the frat, Delta Tau Chi (the one willing to have that John Belushi as a member) was appearing before Faber College’s Student Court and the question was whether to discipline Delta Tau Chi. Frat member, Eric “Otter” Stratton (played by Tim Matheson) wearing a loud-red,plaid sport court and a red tie, stood up to address the Court after the frat’s President was told to shut up and sit down. Otter really got wound up, eventually concluding that they weren’t going to stand for criticism of the entire United States and, with the National Anthem playing in the background, he led the frat members out of the hearing room with Dean Wermers yelling at them.

Animal House is from 1978 so a lot of the members of this board are too young to have seen the movie. Some of us thought the film was a documentary. Here’s a link to Otter’s speech:

https://youtu.be/ROxvT8KKdFwy

Last edited by JackJD; 03-03-2021, 02:47 AM.

Comment

yeah. "likely" was probably not the best choice of words about that particular piece of the puzzle. but i will guess you understand my point. and if you do not recognize the positive impact that successful d1 sports, particularly the SLT has had on the city and region, well....... you recognize that or you probably did not go to school at sdsu)))) and it likely would have come eventually but it seems a pretty straight and logical path from the decisions by sdsu and ndsu to make that move and much of what we see today

and who knows?? maybe if those 2 schools decide to stay everyone else remains satisfied with the ncc being the premeir d2 conference in the country and good enough is good enough. that is all speculation so really does not matter. i would say the d1 thing happens eventually but who can predict the what ifs and coulda wouldas??

the real point being that the 2 schools caught loads of ridicule from lots of institutions, entities, and people who are today very much enjoying or even profiting from the consequences of those decisions.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post

LetsGoRabbits — I admire your enthusiasm but I have to note that once you got rolling, taking credit for the Premier Center etc., I was reminded of the scene from the film “Animal House” when the frat, Delta Tau Chi (the one willing to have that John Belushi as a member) was appearing before Faber College’s Student Court and the question was whether to discipline Delta Tau Chi. Frat member, Eric “Otter” Stratton (played by Tim Matheson) wearing a loud-red,plaid sport court and a red tie, stood up to address the Court after the frat’s President was told to shut up and sit down. Otter really got wound up, eventually concluding that they weren’t going to stand for criticism of the entire United States and, with the National Anthem playing in the background, he led the frat members out of the hearing room with Dean Wermers yelling at them.

Animal House is from 1978 so a lot of the members of this board are too young to have seen the movie. Some of us thought the film was a documentary. Here’s a link to Otter’s speech:

https://youtu.be/ROxvT8KKdFwy

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ?"

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post

"Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor ?"
                WWII and Summit Regular Season Title history as chronicled by the University of South Dakota Press
                Last edited by jakejc795; 03-03-2021, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks86 View Post

Translation: Only the big schools will be invited to try and maximize tournament revenue. NCAA Tournament or nothing for the Summit League tournament champ
                  It wouldn't surprise me if a number of teams, especially from the Power 5 conferences turn down the NIT. A lot of them started the conference schedule before Christmas and have basically been isolating since then. If they don't make the Big Dance, they may be ready to say screw it, we don't want to do this for another two weeks.

Comment

Yoteforever is a good guy. Period. There are lots of good fans from USD. They have a right to support their school.

Like all fans, we're all prone to make proclamations that aren't entirely 100% true.

I was really sad to hear about AJ Plitz.

I still want to beat the pants of USD every time we play them.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                      Yoteforever is a good guy. Period. There are lots of good fans from USD. They have a right to support their school.

Like all fans, we're all prone to make proclamations that aren't entirely 100% true.

I was really sad to hear about AJ Plitz.

I still want to beat the pants of USD every time we play them.
                      No idea of the quality of the man, but his statement about the regular season league title is objectively 100 percent false and should be recognized as such. Doing so isn't a personal attack

Comment

Jake,
                        I personally want to tell you I’m sorry I offended you or hit a nerve. I posted on our board in a private message to a couple of our regulars that to stop the nonsensical chatter about not playing NDSU so we would win the #1 seed. In talking to an associate AD on another matter back in January, he’s the one that told me that the Summit was viewing the outcomes of games played for seeding purposes only. That’s the basis for making the comment both on your board and ours as well.

The season has an asterisk for sure. You played less games than anyone, not your fault. But that’s the facts. You won and deserve the #1 seed. I never said one word contrary to that.

Based solely on the conversation I eluded to earlier in this post is why I said what I did. IF they are stating something different than that, then I was misinformed and shouldn’t have said anything on your board or ours.

For my money, your women’s team deserves the recognition. They are clearly the champs.

Now the tournament.

Comment

Covid screwed everything up if you ask me, that's the facts.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                            Jake,
                            I personally want to tell you I’m sorry I offended you or hit a nerve. I posted on our board in a private message to a couple of our regulars that to stop the nonsensical chatter about not playing NDSU so we would win the #1 seed. In talking to an associate AD on another matter back in January, he’s the one that told me that the Summit was viewing the outcomes of games played for seeding purposes only. That’s the basis for making the comment both on your board and ours as well.

The season has an asterisk for sure. You played less games than anyone, not your fault. But that’s the facts. You won and deserve the #1 seed. I never said one word contrary to that.

Based solely on the conversation I eluded to earlier in this post is why I said what I did. IF they are stating something different than that, then I was misinformed and shouldn’t have said anything on your board or ours.

For my money, your women’s team deserves the recognition. They are clearly the champs.

Now the tournament.
                            Not offended at all, and it'll take more than forum falsehoods to truly "hit a nerve."

Clearly some are ignoring league and media reports identifying the Jacks' MBB team as Summit regular season title holders, as it's not a matter of "if" the Summit is saying it. I already provided the link to the league site in my "Yotenocchio" post (and this post includes the Argus article).

If your report of the associate AD's assertions is accurate (and he still holds such views), I'd be concerned about the subsequent veracity and accuracy of whatever he's saying (again, as multiple more objective sources refute his purported statement)
                            Last edited by jakejc795; 03-03-2021, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yoteforever View Post
                              Jake,

Now the tournament.
                              Yoteforever: I am lost and not sure what we are talking about. It is only a basketball game. If any one has been a surprise this year, it been Coach Lee and his coaching ability. Not having any college playing experience, along way to the head coaching job, he had to listen to a great number of people. You got love game to be where he is. I don’t know where I saw it, possibly the Yote board, some one started a thread “Lee can coach”. Apparently there were doubts there. I think he came from a great program Grand Cannyon . He apparently learned a great deal. Stanley Umode is very gifted in talent. His ability showed up Sunday with 39 points. The tourney will give everyone a chance. May the best win out.

Comment

Working...
                              X