Looking ahead to next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking ahead to next year

Assuming the coronavirus(Kung Flu) doesn't cancel the season next year, the team IMHO should be picked 1st since we really bring back the best team from this year and hardly loose anything.

3 things I am curious about.

1st, Wilson, assuming he is healthy(does anyone know how his recovery has been) should be looked at as the player of the year choice In the league. With a target on his back how does he respond.

2nd, what steps the current roster can make being so young. Like Schierman and Friedel if they take a bit leap that would be great, or is there a sophomore slump coming....which I doubt.

3rd, new players, Mfum or another freshman, what will their impact/role look like.

Right now I have Arians, Freidel, Wingett, Dentlinger and Wilson as starting 5 and Scheierman pushing Wingett for that starting spot, and which ever doesn't start is first off the bench followed by Mimms, my guess Mfum is next after that.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

With our returning core (losing Dillon hurts) back and so young, they should be the favorites.

I do keep laughing at the Bisonville board that SDSU fans will implode if they get back Ward and Shahid. We handled them at Frost and should have beat them in Fargo without Wilson. NDSU with Ward and Shahid back would be good, but they aren't better than the Jacks next year.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post
      With our returning core (losing Dillon hurts) back and so young, they should be the favorites.

I do keep laughing at the Bisonville board that SDSU fans will implode if they get back Ward and Shahid. We handled them at Frost and should have beat them in Fargo without Wilson. NDSU with Ward and Shahid back would be good, but they aren't better than the Jacks next year.
      Saw on Twitter today that winter sports seniors will not be getting an extra year of eligibility.

Comment

Originally posted by AZjack View Post

I know, I will just laugh when they aren't given another year....which looks like they wont get it. NDSU unless they have something up their sleeve are really going to struggle. I like our chances since the team is so young, they only have time to get better. Unless they all peaked their soph and freshman years, which I doubt, we have a lot to look forward too.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

With three scholarships open and a juco stud possibly among the recruits that will be added to the roster, the starting five could undergo more than one change next season. It's fun to think about.
          This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
            With three scholarships open and a juco stud possibly among the recruits that will be added to the roster, the starting five could undergo more than one change next season. It's fun to think about.
            if theh bring in a for sure point guard and maybe mfum can take that spot and Arians I think moves to the 3 spot and wingert and schierman off the bench. Wingett had some games he flat out looked lost on both offense and defense so he seems the most likely to get bumped from my point of view.

Dentlinger Wilson. And fridel are pretty much locked in I think and arians is probably the 1 spot for now but not surprised if that changes by next year.

Comment

Honestly, I don't see much changing with next years team and lineup. Mfum will have a major advantage of scooping up minutes vs other newcomers but our lineup is pretty much set. 110% Speculation based off of what I've seen on Twitter but looks like Appel & Kent are the two recruits we're after the most right now. Appel would certainly give us post depth that we lost in Alou. Also one name to maybe keep an eye on is Abel Porter, a PG Grad Transfer from Utah State. Imagine Coach Barnes has reached out to him due to his time on staff with Coach Smith in 2018-19.

Comment

Barring any changes with new guys coming in... Luke Appel may be your backup post player.
                -And they have Baylor play that a lot as well. (they even had Baylor play that will Alou on the bench)

Mfum is obviously all kinds of athletic (see his dunk highlights), but is he a Point Guard type? Or a wing player?
                -Again... not sure that we need a backup PG, as Baylor basically played that last year.

Baylor...like Arians, but in a different way... is also a Swiss Army Knife... big enough to play the 4...good enough ball handler and passer to play the 1.

I don't think the starting lineup changes much. Wingett is a better fit with the 2 posts...as a deep threat. And he's one I could see elevating a little. With all the help that has to come on our posts, and the attention Friedel deserves... who are you going to leave open. Remember David went from HS, to prep school, to Memphis, to injured, to SDSU... I think with some stability he can be really good as well. I thought his defense improved a lot last year. Just got a little careless with the basketball.

Mims has been good, and I like him as a change of pace/size type guy. To go from guarding Wingett or Schierman to Mims has to be difficult. And he's a tenacious defender.

Be really excited if Grille came back. I don't think it's likely...but maybe? He'd have to sit a year. But what a weapon to bring out after Wilson leaves.

I think a true PG type would be a need. Otherwise, I think we're set for the coming year. The year following, for sure will need another post player.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GoJacksMBB/statu...y&refsrc=email
                  This brilliant player will be back. 4.0 seems almost like he tries too hard!
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                    Be really excited if Grille came back. I don't think it's likely...but maybe? He'd have to sit a year. But what a weapon to bring out after Wilson leaves.
                    Grill is going to UNLV.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

Grill is going to UNLV.
                      Correct - been posted on two other threads earlier this week.

Comment

https://twitter.com/GoJacksMBB/statu...y&refsrc=email
                        This brilliant player will be back. 4.0 seems almost like he tries too hard!
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

This is a sign of not enough sports news for the local stations. It does give a bit of hope for the season to come.
                          https://www.dakotanewsnow.com/conten...569618451.html

Comment

I am not sure if the Wilson tape made it.

Comment

Jacks add Cooper Cornemann of Yankton to the roster. He's a 6-2, all-state guard. Good addition!
                              This space for lease.

Comment

Working...
                              X