2020 Transfer Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    I am trying to understand why there are some that see Arians being tossed aside as a key leader for this team. PG is a key leader position which I am confused why he is likely to be supplanted and moved aside. It was an injury that moved him to PG and it may take an injury to move him to another spot. It is possible there is a shake up in the starting 5 for next season, but it will take some fantastic effort by another player in practice to make it real.
    I think because he's better suited as a 2/3 rather than a PG. He did a great job of filling in as they got by with him at PG, but ideally you've got someone that can penetrate and dish more than he was able to do.

Comment

I am trying to understand why there are some that see Arians being tossed aside as a key leader for this team. PG is a key leader position which I am confused why he is likely to be supplanted and moved aside. It was an injury that moved him to PG and it may take an injury to move him to another spot. It is possible there is a shake up in the starting 5 for next season, but it will take some fantastic effort by another player in practice to make it real.
      Agreed. PG is the hardest position to bring in a plug in and play right away type player. A grad transfer might be an exception, but even they need some time to learn the system. Doug Wilson was really the first JUCO to come in and have an immediate impact right away, and that was at a different position.

Comment

Originally posted by CappinHard View Post

I think because he's better suited as a 2/3 rather than a PG. He did a great job of filling in as they got by with him at PG, but ideally you've got someone that can penetrate and dish more than he was able to do.
        Like Brandon Key? I will take ball movement any day over ineffective penetration.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Arians severed the PG spot really well, but he is good anywhere you put him, so if we get a George Marshall type, who can score, dish, shoot, pass etc be PG why wouldn't we try. Not that Arians lost the job but he is the swiss army knife of the team. If he proves still the best option which as of now he looks like it, then he will stay at PG. But it doesn't mean you don't try to get the best players possible to help the team. Key isn't a good example because he didn't fit the flow of the offense, but maybe a Tevin King style again? Athletic, great defense, good with the ball, smart. Arians could fill other roles just as well and still run the point but maybe not the starting PG.
          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Like Brandon Key? I will take ball movement any day over ineffective penetration.
            No, not like Brandon Key. Agreed, I'll take ball movement over ineffective penetration. However, we were able to get away with just ball movement by working our whole offense through Doug Wilson. Look what happened when he was out. We were completely lost at times. Noah was a more effective PG than Arians tbh, because he has the ability to get by his guy and either get to the bucket or dish. Again, it's not that Arians did a bad job, but I think in order to have a sustainable offense that doesn't completely rely on one player, you have to have an effective PG.

Comment

Call me crazy but maybe we should get another Nate Wolters.

SUPERBUNNY
              MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
                Call me crazy but maybe we should get another Nate Wolters.

SUPERBUNNY
                Pair him up with another Mike daum shouldn't the trick.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

No, not like Brandon Key. Agreed, I'll take ball movement over ineffective penetration. However, we were able to get away with just ball movement by working our whole offense through Doug Wilson. Look what happened when he was out. We were completely lost at times. Noah was a more effective PG than Arians tbh, because he has the ability to get by his guy and either get to the bucket or dish. Again, it's not that Arians did a bad job, but I think in order to have a sustainable offense that doesn't completely rely on one player, you have to have an effective PG.
                  However, the game did not change in Fargo with the ball touching the post prior to firing up the offense. It did not seem like lost sheep. I think you may be overlooking what Hendo said over and over this year about the offense. For some reason, I think there may be a strong similarity next year. Friedel is not likely to move to the PG to get a few drives. He will be able to get his offense a number of ways which is productive as the SG. If Hendo changes the personnel down the road, I can see where you may have a chance for the one on one super PG. Until then, we may need to settle for the team ball that was on the floor this year.
                  Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

However, the game did not change in Fargo with the ball touching the post prior to firing up the offense. It did not seem like lost sheep. I think you may be overlooking what Hendo said over and over this year about the offense. For some reason, I think there may be a strong similarity next year. Friedel is not likely to move to the PG to get a few drives. He will be able to get his offense a number of ways which is productive as the SG. If Hendo changes the personnel down the road, I can see where you may have a chance for the one on one super PG. Until then, we may need to settle for the team ball that was on the floor this year.
                    Good shooters help negate the need for a great PG. Wingett and Baylor need to get more consistent from 3 (Baylor especially). Hopefully Mfum can shoot a bit, Mims needs to work on defense and his focus, he can shoot it better than I realized.

With a few steps forward from the young guys, point guard play won't be as much of a concern.

Comment

Seems we are also forgetting about Trey Buchanon. I think he can shoot the rock a little too.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                        Seems we are also forgetting about Trey Buchanon. I think he can shoot the rock a little too.
                        I don't think he is a great shooter, but good enough for sure, forgot about him in my playing time, He goes in front of Mimms on the bench. He played well when he did, so my guess is he would have been even better during the conference season.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                          That was another season ending injury for a Jackrabbit. Hopefully 2020-2021 will spare all Jackrabbits from the injury bug.

Comment

As of today, there are 525 players in the transfer portal. With all the restrictions on visits, it's going to take awhile for those players to find a home.

Comment

Originally posted by NWHSUandSDSU View Post
                              Owen King in transfer portal per verbal commits.
                              Owen is transferring to Winona State.

Comment

From what I could see watching games, Arians was the better PG for set plays, while Baylor was better on the fast break. Both turned the ball over a bit too much, but they both still have lots of time to improve.

Comment

Working...
                                X